Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Minor theme edits

Post by smurphos »

You are welcome. :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mfreeman »

In case anyone is interested in experiencing the final results of our tweaking, here are the files (linked from my Google Drive because the forum attachment upload limits were too small):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ok6A2h ... sp=sharing

In the .zip folder:

- The New Mint-X theme files, in all their usual color options, which you can put into your ~/.themes folder. The only changes here are the slider-bar tweaks to make the bar a bit thinner and inset into the trough area. This makes it read much better, in my opinion.

- Our new gtk.css tweaks which you can put into the ~/.config/gtk-3.0 folder. These have the menu tweaks, which I've adjusted to a radius of 5px so that it's just a subtle curve in the menus. I've also included a Nemo tweak I found, done by someone else, which changes the desktop icon text shadowing from a single-pixel hard black shadow, to a softer, gradient shadow. It's subtle, but it's nice, and makes the text much more readable on lighter backgrounds.

Hopefully someone will find these useful!
Last edited by mfreeman on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mfreeman »

Ack! I found one more tweak to make. The submenus that pop out to the side of both drop-down and right-click menus have square top corners. I would like those to be all rounded. If anyone has suggestions, I'll take them, but I'm also going to try to see if I can't figure this out myself as well.
Screenshot from 2020-06-29 15-43-05.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-29 15-43-05.png (147.47 KiB) Viewed 398 times

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Hi - try this in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css instead of the css originally suggested.

Different approach - basically ported in the relevant bits of Canta's menu theming and tweaked a few bits.

Code: Select all

menubar > menuitem > window.background.csd.popup > decoration,
menubar > menuitem > window.background.csd.popup > menu,
.menubar > menuitem > window.background.csd.popup > decoration,
.menubar > menuitem > window.background.csd.popup > menu {
  border-radius: 0 0 10px 10px;
}

menubar > menuitem > window.background.csd.popup > menu,
.menubar > menuitem > window.background.csd.popup > menu {
  padding: 2px 0 6px 0;
}

.popup {
  background-color: transparent;
}

menu,
.menu,
.context-menu {
  border-radius: 10px;
  padding: 6px 0 6px 0;
}

decoration {
  border-radius :10px;
}
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mfreeman »

That's exactly what I was looking into, but probably going about it the wrong way. Thank you! I've updated the zip file link in my post above, in case anyone wants to give it a quick test run themselves.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”