How is Mint 20 Compared to Mint 19?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How is Mint 20 Compared to Mint 19?

Post by Shadow in Fire »

I heard it's better than 19.x, but that's just the reality of software updates.

Also, which DE and/or WM that you use will determine the results. Cinnamon isn't meant for laptops or older desktops, whereas MATE could take its place (if you have less than 2 GB of RAM, use LXDE). Xfce might be the most balanced (ideal on both old and new machines), but it's not the flashiest.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Shadow in Fire wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:54 pm Cinnamon isn't meant for laptops or older desktops
*cough*
*splutter*
:shock:
...what? Have I been doing it wrong all along?
I don't think I have... Why on earth do you think that Cinnamon isn't meant for laptops?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Moem wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:23 pm
Shadow in Fire wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:54 pm Cinnamon isn't meant for laptops or older desktops
*cough*
*splutter*
I don't think I have... Why on earth do you think that Cinnamon isn't meant for laptops?
You mean we've both been doing it wrong? Oh dear, are we both going to get banned Moem? One contributor and one moderator - Oh dear... :cry:

BTW, what is "an older desktop"? Definition? Age? What are the parameters?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Cinnamon ran just fine on a 2011 MacBook Pro 13".
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

RollyShed wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:45 pm
*cough*
*splutter*
You mean we've both been doing it wrong? Oh dear, are we both going to get banned Moem? One contributor and one moderator - Oh dear... :cry:

BTW, what is "an older desktop"? Definition? Age? What are the parameters?
Ohmigosh! Now I'm really worried :!: Are the Mint Police going to arrest me for installing Mint on an old (ancient, by computer standards) Lenovo 15" notebook and on a new 17" System 76 notebook :?: Do I need to hide :?: Should we defund the Mint Police :?:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

A word, if I may. A little ribbing is acceptable but let us not overdo it. Let us show our nice side now and make newbies feel welcome.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Just installed and configured mint 20 xfce version. Boots and runs pretty snappy on Lenovo thinkpads sl510, t530, l430. Encountered a few bugs/instabilities but nothing showstopping. For example, printer applet refusing to close--had to log out and log back in. So far brother scanner installs but system can't find it. Not a whole lot different than 19.3, which will remain my daily driver for another 2 years. Just recently switched from 18.3 to 19.3. My routine is to install and configure the newest on a spare drive, boot it once a week or so to update /upgrade, and finally switch to it when the next LTS version comes out. Been a Mint xfce user since 13.

Bob
SpongebobFan1994

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

GS3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:47 am A word, if I may. A little ribbing is acceptable but let us not overdo it. Let us show our nice side now and make newbies feel welcome.
While there was a small ribbing issue in this thread, it seems as though its over now, and was so small that it wasn't worth mentioning
SpongebobFan1994

bjmh46 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 am Just installed and configured mint 20 xfce version. Boots and runs pretty snappy on Lenovo thinkpads sl510, t530, l430. Encountered a few bugs/instabilities but nothing showstopping. For example, printer applet refusing to close--had to log out and log back in. So far brother scanner installs but system can't find it. Not a whole lot different than 19.3, which will remain my daily driver for another 2 years. Just recently switched from 18.3 to 19.3. My routine is to install and configure the newest on a spare drive, boot it once a week or so to update /upgrade, and finally switch to it when the next LTS version comes out. Been a Mint xfce user since 13.

Bob
Since its still being worked on, I'm sure you weren't surprised by all of that
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Not in the least!

Bob
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

*cough*
*splutter*
Sorry for the confusion. That was my wording at the time, but I actually meant to say that Cinnamon, at least in my experience, was just too resource-intensive on a conventional machine. I've had many moments of screen freezes, too. I was pretty much discouraged and almost went back to Winblow$ 7, but I was shown other DEs and liked Xfce a lot.

Well, DEs and WMs are totally a personal preference thing. That's all I was trying to convey in my post. If it works out, then more power to you. :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Shadow in Fire wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 am I actually meant to say that Cinnamon, at least in my experience, was just too resource-intensive on a conventional machine.
Fair enough! Not that I agree, but that's fine. My laptop is pretty conventional in every way (i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM) and it works well with Cinnamon.
But we all get to have our preferences.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I am running LM19 Cinnamon with Intel Core2 Duo E8400 processor and 4 GB RAM and it works fine for me.

I had some problems with it freezing for a moment and becoming unresponsive and there were several threads about that problem but it seems to have gone away for me, maybe with the new 5.4.0-39 kernel.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

GS3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:26 pm I am running LM19 Cinnamon with Intel Core2 Duo E8400 processor and 4 GB RAM and it works fine for me.
Running LM 19.3 Xfce on that same hardware and with Intel Q45 chipset-graphics. Back when it was running Cinnamon I also routinely stated such working fine, and it did, but if you're also on chipset-graphics you may still wish to take Xfce for an extended test drive, as in, weeks. It's the kind of thing where things work fine right up until the point they work finer elsewhere.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I cant see much difference. And that is a good thing, because LM19 worked excellent and so does LM20.

I really like the way LM20 looks, although I seem to be a minority. Dark theme has been perfected. Love it! The minimalistic look is perfected as well. I love the almost hypnotizing boot symbol, which has a subtle rotating, light inside. Anyone noticed that?

The only trouble I had was that my printer did not print any more, while it did work perfectly in LM18 and 19. But I found the solution and also the cause, too complicated and boring to mention. And the new LM20 seems to partition my harddisc differently, which gave me a lot of head scratching...

All in all: no real noticeable differences, but better looks.
SpongebobFan1994

carum carvi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm I cant see much difference. And that is a good thing, because LM19 worked excellent and so does LM20.

I really like the way LM20 looks, although I seem to be a minority. Dark theme has been perfected. Love it! The minimalistic look is perfected as well. I love the almost hypnotizing boot symbol, which has a subtle rotating, light inside. Anyone noticed that?

The only trouble I had was that my printer did not print any more, while it did work perfectly in LM18 and 19. But I found the solution and also the cause, too complicated and boring to mention. And the new LM20 seems to partition my harddisc differently, which gave me a lot of head scratching...

All in all: no real noticeable differences, but better looks.
Good to know
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

When is 20 going to be released "in the wild" it seems to be just about ready. I'm presuming that I'll have to do a fresh instal for it as it is not a "point upgrade" that will happen as part of the regular updates via update manager. Am I correct in that?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm When is 20 going to be released "in the wild" it seems to be just about ready.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 am Ohmigosh! Now I'm really worried :!: Are the Mint Police going to arrest me for installing Mint on an old (ancient, by computer standards) Lenovo 15" notebook and on a new 17" System 76 notebook :?: Do I need to hide :?: Should we defund the Mint Police :?:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to arrest you for running the Cinnamon desktop environment on an ancient computer!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:52 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 am Ohmigosh! Now I'm really worried :!: Are the Mint Police going to arrest me for installing Mint on an old (ancient, by computer standards) Lenovo 15" notebook and on a new 17" System 76 notebook :?: Do I need to hide :?: Should we defund the Mint Police :?:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to arrest you for running the Cinnamon desktop environment on an ancient computer!
Ack! Not the Bunny Brigade! :shock:

Um, would it help any if I told you the Lenovo is just a backup machine now?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Chat about Linux”