My impressions of the LM 20 release

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Post Reply
User avatar
root
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am
Location: Russia

My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by root »

Hello. I apologize in advance for my poor knowledge of English.

I was always enraged that nemo slows down over time. Clearing the image cache did not speed up its work. (I suspect that it is slow due to filling the ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata folder with useless garbage (including filling the files themselves with garbage). But these files cannot be deleted, because, in addition to garbage, they contain data about the icons folders, but I like icons ...). But it doesn’t matter. I want to say that I was delighted when I saw the news that in the 20th version of Linux Mint, nemo will work faster. This was my main reason for switching to Ulyana.

While it’s too early to judge the speed of nemo’s work, time will tell whether it started to work faster ... And I directly have one complaint to Ulyana so far: window sizes fixed in length in the system parameters -> power management (analogue of the cinnamon-settings power command ) The minimum length of this takes more than half the screen (1600x900). This does not greatly affect the system’s operation, but it’s not convenient, it’s worth fixing it.

As an end user, I have to evaluate the usability of the OS not only by the work done by Linux Mint developers, but also in general. In general, I got problems with mat-gui, which is no longer in the repository (and when you write apt install mat, mat2 is installed, but without a symbolic link - mat; i.e., launching with the mat command is impossible, because the /usr/bin/mat file does not exist). I also got problems with the program for recording screencasts - kazam. He stopped seeing my microphone. Although Ulyana herself determines the microphone and audacity works without problems (except for the background hiss, earlier it was much quieter) ... The portable version (appimage) Peek stopped working and throws an error (he did not like the symbolic link /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpango-1.0.so.0). Cherrytree does not yet have a deb package, I had to install a large flatpack. Etc. I repeat, I do not think that these are Linux Mint developers' problems, but these are my problems that arose after the last release was installed. And there are a lot of them. Such a quantity for the first time. With the previous releases I installed, everything was generally smooth.

But I learned a lesson: it’s better to wait about six months after the new release, and not install immediately. Do not repeat the mistakes of others. Thanks for your attention.

User avatar
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2579
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

root wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
But I learned a lesson: it’s better to wait about six months after the new release, and not install immediately. Do not repeat the mistakes of others
The logic in that is utterly faulty. If everyone waited for six months before installing a new release, some would have to wait 12 months while those who installed after six months found any issues. So, because of that, someone will post on the forum that it's best to wait 12 months before installing a new release, and some would have to wait 24 months while those who installed after 12 months found any issues. So, because of that, someone will post on the forum that it's best to wait 24 months before installing a new release, and some would have to wait 48 months while those who installed after 24 months found any issues. So on and so forth ad infinitum.

The logical extrapolation of your statement that "it’s better to wait about six months after the new release, and not install immediately", is that nobody would ever install, and there would be no point to Linux whatsoever so there wouldn't be a Linux to wait for.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

User avatar
root
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am
Location: Russia

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by root »

Hello, Kadaitcha Man. You are wrong that you think that this is necessary for the end user. The end user, as a rule, launches the browser according to the instructions from the leaflet. He should not be bothered by any problems in which he is not to blame or even to blame. In this "stable release", my computer crashes when I try to record a screencast for more than 3-5 minutes. Such shutdowns adversely affect the life of the hard drive. Why should I care? Why should I spend my time figuring out what’s the matter? If you do not have a personal life, this does not mean that other people do not have it. I understand what you are talking about, but with such a policy there is no point in any prealpha, alpha, beta tests, you need to immediately release the release (according to your logic). As well as it makes no sense to keep stable repositories, you need to connect unstable; let people suffer (according to your logic)! You are wrong. The operating system Linux Mint is ultimately made for people, not the other way around.

User avatar
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11731
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by MrEen »

root wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 pm
Why should I spend my time figuring out what’s the matter?
If no one was willing to spend the time, bugs would never get fixed. You don't even know if this might be some peculiar hardware issue, that will still present the same issues in 6 months time, or until such time as you deem it necessary to spend time on it.

User avatar
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2579
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

root wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 pm
Hello, Kadaitcha Man. You are wrong...
If you say so then it must be true.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

User avatar
all41
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6249
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by all41 »

I agree with Kadaitcha on this.
A wider user base means more problems are revealed and hopefully mitigated.
Mint is a community effort and we all share in it's evolution.
Linux Crux=Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam+libera ab tyrannis

User avatar
root
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am
Location: Russia

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by root »

Hello, MrEen. You mistakenly believe that everything around you corresponds to your level of knowledge and computer skills. This is not so. No, most bugs would be solved thanks to people like you in six months. The smaller part is after. I am not saying that, in principle, bugs should not be present. I say that the OS should not meet an inexperienced user with a bunch of problems that pile on him at once.

User avatar
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2579
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

root wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm
You mistakenly believe...
Gee. Another one.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

User avatar
root
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am
Location: Russia

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by root »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:48 pm
root wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 pm
Hello, Kadaitcha Man. You are wrong...
If you say so then it must be true.
you are welcome :lol:

User avatar
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11731
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by MrEen »

root wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm
Hello, MrEen. You mistakenly believe that everything around you corresponds to your level of knowledge and computer skills.
I absolutely do not! With more than half of the issues that might arise, I'd be in the same situation as you. I know some things rather well, but there's a lot more I don't know. Learning how to deal with those is not for everyone, I understand and agree. But most people are pleasantly surprised to find out how things can be fixed rather easily, once they know how. And the plethora of knowledge on this forum is outstanding!

User avatar
root
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am
Location: Russia

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by root »

Hmm, now I understand: you think that you belong to a special group of people, "entrance to which is only by passes." Your hobby is GNU/Linux and Linux Mint in particular. Any problems in the operation of the OS and programs cause delight and admiration in your heart. This is your way of self-expression and self-affirmation, you want to show the whole world what you have achieved and what you have learned, and in general how smart you are. And who am I to ruin your views on the world and say that your hobby sucks ?! After all, I still won’t be able to break through the mental armor, your brain just doesn’t recognize that the majority wants to immediately get a stable system, he doesn’t care about IT technology, all that majority need is a browser, mail and office programs; and most wanted to shit on writing bug reports and solving problems (maybe that is why many use paid Windows instead of free GNU/Linux).

User avatar
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11731
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: My impressions of the LM 20 release

Post by MrEen »

Was that to me? Just in case it was, I'll go ahead and put you on ignore before I get myself banned.

Post Reply

Return to “About Mint Editions”