Resize partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Joejoebeans
Level 1
Level 1

Resize partition

Post by Joejoebeans »

When transitioning from Windows to Linux, I had my PC set up to dual boot the two from the same disk. I've now fully converted to Linux and deleted the Windows partitions, but now I have no idea how to expand my Linux partition "backwards" on the disk. This is how it looks lin Gparted
https://i.ibb.co/Pg1q3SF/Gparted.png
And this is what I see when I try to resize/move. I don't have the option move or resize(except to make it smaller), they're both greyed out
https://i.ibb.co/Fs4nFLs/Resize.png
(sorry for not embedding the images, images can only be 480px high and I thought it would be better if they were more readable)

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Resize partition

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Joejoebeans wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:42 am
... I have no idea how to expand my Linux partition "backwards" on the disk.
You can't do that. You will first need to boot from live media then move the partition to the left before expanding it to the right. You would be well advised to make a backup of your important files before you start. If you have a backup, it may be easier just to reinstall but that's your decision.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Joejoebeans
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joejoebeans »

Great, thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

The reason why is that you can't change a live filesystem which is what you have when you boot as normal, hence boot from your install usb. If you look at your screenshots you will see that your / partition is locked (the key symbol) because it is in use, and because it is / you can't unmount it.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Newbie Questions”