Short version - how do you remove gm10's tools and re-instate the 'official' versions (easily - I think I did it the hard way)?
To date, I've always done a fresh install on a major version change. Thought I'd have a play and instead of doing a fresh install of LM20, try the upgrade instead. Upgraded my LM19.0 to LM19.3 cinnamon. That went painlessly, and from a cursory look all seems to be working. Nothing showing in the update manager to upgrade to LM20, so:
Code: Select all
sudo apt install mintupgrade
Had to disable a lot of ppas and repos, then tried again.
Code: Select all
- gdebi: 0.9.5.7xmint9-unstable-201907030857~ubuntu18.04.1, should be 0.9.5.7xmint9 (from tricia)
- gdebi-core: 0.9.5.7xmint9-unstable-201907030857~ubuntu18.04.1, should be 0.9.5.7xmint9 (from tricia)
- init: 1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1, should be 1.51 (from bionic)
- init-system-helpers: 1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1, should be 1.51 (from bionic)
- iproute2: 4.18.0-1ubuntu2~ubuntu18.04.1, should be 4.15.0-2ubuntu1.1 (from bionic-updates)
- mint-common: 1:2.2.6~gm10, should be 2.0.9 (from tricia)
- mintbackup: 1:2.4.2~gm10, should be 2.3.8 (from tricia)
- mintdrivers: 1:1.5.6~gm10, should be 1.4.5 (from tricia)
- mintmenu: 1:6.2.6~gm10, should be 18.104.22.168 (from tricia)
- mintsources: 1:2.2.6~gm10, should be 22.214.171.124 (from tricia)
- mintsystem: 1:8.6.1~gm10, should be 8.4.6 (from tricia)
- mintupdate: 1:6.1.5~gm10, should be 5.5.9 (from tricia)
- mozo: 1.23.0-5~gm10, should be 1.22.2-1+tricia (from tricia)
- obs-studio: 25.0.8-0obsproject1~bionic, should be 21.0.2+dfsg1-1 (from bionic)
- python3-protobuf: 126.96.36.199-1ubuntu3~bionic, should be 3.0.0-9.1ubuntu1 (from bionic)
- simplescreenrecorder: 0.4.2+1~ppa1~bionic1, should be 0.3.8-3 (from bionic)
- smartmontools: 7.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu18.04.1, should be 6.5+svn4324-1 (from bionic)
- software-properties-common: 1:2.1.8~gm10, should be 188.8.131.52 (from tricia)
!! ERROR: The packages above have incorrect versions. They can be downgraded using 'Software Sources -> Maintenance -> Downgrade Foreign Packages'.
So into software sources - but no "Downgrade Foreign Packages":
Problem is I'm running gm10's version and most of the packages to 'downgrade' are gm10's. Did try "Restore Official Package versions" and checked all in the list above - that failed and ended up with broken packages. In the end I went into synaptic, fixed the broken packages (mintsources) and deleted them that way. Did delete mint-common and that took a lot of other mint-* packages with it. Put most of them back (I think but not sure). How I ended up with some of the other packages being later than the required version - no idea. Eventually got the upgrade to work. Probably took about 1/2 an hour from the point the upgrade properly started.
It was a lot of pain and grief to get it to work, hence the question at the top.
Now got a working LM20 (thankfully on a test laptop) and now to start fixing other problems - chromium for starters, and see what else is broke.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate