System freeze after suspend with screensaver active - cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
apolonius

System freeze after suspend with screensaver active - cinnamon

Post by apolonius »

Hi,

I've found that Linux Mint 20, after i suspend the laptop by closing the lid and i have actived the screensaver (and lock screen) after suspend, the screensaver isn't showed, nor the box for introduce user/pass, the cinnamon desktop is showed and i can move the mouse, but i cann't do anything more... nothing is running after suspend with screensaver activated (lock screen) after suspend.

I have to turn off the system and restart the laptop by pressing the on/off button of the laptop...

I've tried MATE, and this problem doesn't happen with mate desktop manager, with mate i can suspend the system by closing the lid of the laptop, and then, when i open the lid, the lock screen is showed, i can introduce the user/passw and the desktop is showed, then i can go on working normal.

This problem didn't happened neither with Linux Mint 19.3

I think this problem is a bug with cinnamon screensaver and suspend function in Linux Mint 20.0

can you check this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don T393
Level 1
Level 1

Re: System freeze after suspend with screensaver active - cinnamon

Post by Don T393 »

I have experienced the same issue when I suspend my system by closing the lid. When I later open the lid to bring the system out of Suspend, the lockscreen logon is not displayed. The normal desktop screen is displayed instead of the lockscreen. The mouse pointer moves but the desktop icons and menu button are frozen, and the panel clock time is frozen at the exact time that I closed the lid on my laptop. I first noticed the issue after the upgrade from LM20 beta to LM20 stable. I then decided to clean install the LM20 stable release in hopes that the issue would resolve but it still occurs. I have not been able to identify what is causing the issue but I use a workaround that avoids having to reboot every time. When the system fails to display the logon screen after coming out of Suspend, I can press the power button on my laptop and that action will bring up the logon screen which allows me to logon as normal. In order to see if this method will work on your system you need to be sure that your power button is configured to "Ask" when you press it. Go to your menu and open Power Management, then when the window opens you should see a section marked "Extra Options". In the option for "When the power button is pressed" select that option to "Ask", then close out the Power Management window. After logging back on from Suspend using this workaround method you should see another small window of choices appear asking if you want to Suspend, Restart, Cancel or Shut Down. Just select "Cancel" and this window will close. Keep in mind that if your power button is configured to "Ask" you will be asked to make a selection of Suspend, Restart, Cancel or Shut Down any time you press the power button even if your system is performing normally.

I also have Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 installed on my laptop in a dual boot configuration, and I have not noticed this issue appearing when I use LMDE4. Hope this helps until a solution is found.
barttali

Post by barttali »

I think this problem is a bug with cinnamon screensaver and suspend function in Linux Mint 20.0
I can confirm. I can workaround the problem by killing the screensaver process when this happens.
apolonius

Post by apolonius »

Hi!
so, it's a bug with the screensaver in Linux Mint 20... the workaround isn't productive... now, we need a patch of the cinnamon screensaver from the Linux Mint Development Team to resolve this problem...
Pls, anybody from Linux Mint Development Team... could you resolve this bug and to release the patch as soon as possible???
Thanks!!!
Don T393
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Don T393 »

Just as a follow up to my earlier post, I have only experienced this issue when I close my laptop lid to suspend my system. I have been able to bypass the issue by suspending my system using the menu or the laptop power button, so I will be using a method other than closing my laptop’s lid until a fix is issued for this problem.
apolonius

Post by apolonius »

Don T393 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:25 pm Just as a follow up to my earlier post, I have only experienced this issue when I close my laptop lid to suspend my system. I have been able to bypass the issue by suspending my system using the menu or the laptop power button, so I will be using a method other than closing my laptop’s lid until a fix is issued for this problem.
Yes, i can bypass the problem with this workaround, but this is a botched job, in my oppinion... but, i'll use it until a fix will be issued, but this IS NOT a solution and it isn't productive.

Thanks.
Osum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Osum »

I have the same problem in mint 20. The screen does not show the login screen but after i type my password and press enter the desktop becomes accessible again. I think the problem is that the screen just does not show the login screen on waking the system from suspend after being suspended from lid closure. The login part works still.
Don T393
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Don T393 »

Osum, I tried your method and you are absolutely correct! I put my system into Suspend by closing the lid, then after raising my laptop lid to bring my system out of Suspend the logon screen did not appear. However, when I typed in my logon password my system immediately logged me on and everything is normal. Thank you!
Jeff_T

Post by Jeff_T »

Same issue for me on my 2011 Macbook Pro. Does appear to be tied to the screen lock within the Screensaver/Lock settings. If I disable the "Lock the computer when put to sleep" setting then everything is responsive immediately after opening the lid. When that setting is enabled (which would be my preference) it appears that the login window isn't displaying correctly when the laptop wakes back up. For me, hitting the power button will make the login window appear and I can login successfully - and then cancel the reboot it thinks I'm asking for... :)

Good to know that the login screen is still active (although invisible) and I can just type the password in order to unlock the laptop until the issue is resolved.
jdtanner

Post by jdtanner »

Hi all,

Have any of you filed a bug report? I suspect that this bug may be related to ta log entry I'm seeing every time my laptop resumes from suspend and I encounter this same issue (see attached).

If you guys could let me know which bug you've filed I'll add my observations to that, rather than duplicating.

**Bug filed https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... issues/342 please update with your own observations.**
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-07-09 21-08-18.png
Screenshot from 2020-07-09 21-08-18.png (7.14 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
Don T393
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Don T393 »

Hi jdtanner, I have not filed a bug report. When I bring my laptop out of Suspend by raising the lid, I just go ahead and enter my logon password and that works fine for me. Thanks!
jdtanner

Post by jdtanner »

Don, no probs. I've filed a bug as potentially this is a security issue...the last screen before suspend is visible without entering a password.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

I still run into this issue on my 2015 Macbook Pro (Mint 20.1). I have no screensaver enabled. Just closing the lid (machine goes into Linux's "Suspend" mode), opening it, and sometimes I see what was on my screen when I closed the lid, but I can't interact with the OS (other than moving the mouse, but no clicking). Sometimes it is brief, other times it is 10-30 seconds+. The login screen usually ends up coming up and I can get in. I have a feeling it is related to Cinnamon because sometimes when this happens and I eventually do get logged in, Cinnamon has crashed and is in "fallback mode" (but not always). It doesn't happen that often, but it does from time to time (every few days or so). To me, this is a security issue. I hope this can get fixed.
Hope this helps.

Return to “Cinnamon”