[BUG] Can't add search engines in FF 78

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhunter

[BUG] Can't add search engines in FF 78

Post by dhunter »

Just updated to LM 20, so perhaps this is an issue with something other than just Firefox, but, in FF 78 you can't add search engines, (or, at least, Google) via the Linux Mint page linked off of "Find more search engines" in FF search settings anymore. You can click the "add by clicking here" link all day and it never gets added to the active list. Wouldn't be surprised if this was caused by all the new "megabar" stuff they're doing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: [BUG] Can't add search engines in FF 78

Post by antikythera »

there's a known bug in 78.0 causing search problems for upgraders from previous releases, 78.0.1 is supposed to address it.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/what-s- ... 0422.shtml
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
dhunter

Post by dhunter »

Good point. Unfortunately, I'm using 78.0.1, so still work to be done, I guess.
arangaran
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arangaran »

i've been stung by the same problem too, i guess there's no solution sigh.
TonyThuitai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TonyThuitai »

Updated Firefox to 78.0.1 and still cannot add a search engine like google via the Linux Mint Search Engines website to Firefox in Linux Mint
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, guys.

The bug-fixed Firefox version 78.0.1 is available for Linux Mint as well. In fact Update Manager should offer it to you for installation, unless you have already done so. Cf. here, please: Re: linux mint 20, Firefox 78 and broken add search engine.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
arangaran
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arangaran »

I have 78.0.1 and i CAN'T add the google search engine, and there are no more updates, so what it's being said is a lie or there is something wrong with the version that comes with LM 20 repos
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

arangaran wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:31 pm I have 78.0.1 and i CAN'T add the google search engine, and there are no more updates, so what it's being said is a lie or there is something wrong with the version that comes with LM 20 repos
Nobody here is lying, if you still have problems take it up with Mozilla.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
arangaran
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arangaran »

antikythera wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:50 pm
arangaran wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:31 pm I have 78.0.1 and i CAN'T add the google search engine, and there are no more updates, so what it's being said is a lie or there is something wrong with the version that comes with LM 20 repos
Nobody here is lying, if you still have problems take it up with Mozilla.
the thing is that LM20 as all the LM distros, modify the FF version packaged with it, to add search engines that contribute to the project, so what you get is not vanilla FF but the modified altered version by LM, if that got to do or not with the bug who knows, i'm saying that there's a discrepancy between the "official" word from LM and what it's seen in reality, any of you could check it out though, boot a VM with LM20 updated FF to 78.0.1 and try to add the search engine and see if you can, you will discover that you can't.
mintxavi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintxavi »

good morning
I miss the insistence of not being able to add to google as a search engine that verifies it, however it is evident that something will be wrong with your system, maybe the updates? but not from FF.

Before updating:
FFgoogle.png

After updating FF (FF only):
FFgoogle1.jpeg
This from a Live...And I believe what you say, I don't doubt it
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

arangaran wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:56 pm ... i'm saying that ...
"... what it's [sic] being said is a lie ..."

Being wrong and being a liar are two different things. Other than that, the Linux Mint search adding procedure is now broken so you won't be able to add any search engines at all. If 78.0.1 is supposed to have fixed it, your only course of action is to file a bug report, for cinnamon, you would do that at https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon. When you get there, you need to be clear about the problem, not emotional.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

As a temporary workaround, you can add them from https://mycroftproject.com/
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

karlchen at 20:10 CEST wrote:No need to follow the instructions, linked to by me below, there is a better and more straight forward way.
See
xenopeek's post below.
User sueede had explained in his post here, how to achieve your goal in Firefox 78.0.1.
Pre-requisite:
The separate search bar must have been enabled under Preferences => Search.
Cf. sueede's post, please.
Illustrated version of the same steps a little bit further down in the same thread, here
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Prefixed notification to follow xenopeek's steps, because they apply to Firefox 78.0.1, irrespective of the setting separate searchbar on or off
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

There's no need to add the separate search bar.

Here are the steps to add a search engine on Firefox 78.0.1:
  1. In Firefox go to Preferences > Search > (at the bottom) Find more search engines;
  2. On that page click the icon of the search engine you want to add (that isn't in your list of search engines yet);
  3. Then on the right side of the Firefox address bar click the ••• icon to open the page actions menu and choose Add Search Engine.
Here's a short video to demonstrate the above steps: https://i.imgur.com/LE6xTAZ.mp4

The page actions menu is perhaps less obvious but Firefox 78.0.1 behaves the same across other distros. This isn't Linux Mint specific. The instructions on the Linux Mint search engines page should perhaps be clarified though but that is something else.
rudolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rudolf »

I highly disagree with this workaround-looking hackfaliure.
It might work with some rare cases, like the linux mint search engines site but not in other cases.
It does not work on pages with multiple search plugins like: https://mycroftproject.com/google-search-plugins.html

I bet it might be a new firefox "feature" but still annoying.
It is not Linux Mint specific as I have tried the flathub version of the firefox and I eventually ended up with installing firefox-esr to get this functionality back.
Can someone look up it from the firefox / mozilla side how to fix it or what is going to be the next?
--
Rudolf
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

rudolf wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:08 pm I highly disagree with this workaround-looking hackfaliure.
It might work with some rare cases, like the linux mint search engines site but not in other cases.
It does not work on pages with multiple search plugins like: https://mycroftproject.com/google-search-plugins.html

I bet it might be a new firefox "feature" but still annoying.
It is not Linux Mint specific as I have tried the flathub version of the firefox and I eventually ended up with installing firefox-esr to get this functionality back.
Can someone look up it from the firefox / mozilla side how to fix it or what is going to be the next?
See here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1292034

Firefox has changed the way search engines can be added. I personally had a number of search engines to add from Mycroft a couple of days ago and the Add Search Engine from Mycroft Project add-on mentioned in that post worked well.

It's just another annoyance from Firefox. I'll still stick with them, but every so often they either break existing functionality (recently they turned off chrome mods by default, for example) or add useless new UI gunk that they make it next to impossible to turn off. And it's not all for security purposes. Rant over, but the changes to Firefox probably pee me off more than any other software I use, and most of it unnecessarily so, imo.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Howdy folks. The search engines pages on https://linuxmint.com/searchengines.php have been updated with instructions how to add them through page actions menu. The "click here" links have been removed as that functionality is no longer in FF78.

Return to “Software & Applications”