Can I run Linux Mint on AMD A8-9600 with RADEON R7?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShinomiyaSatella
Level 1
Level 1

Can I run Linux Mint on AMD A8-9600 with RADEON R7?

Post by ShinomiyaSatella »

I'm pretty new in linux and I want to try the linux mint but I have problem if i can run the linux mint smooth without video card on my computer. Is it possible to run a linux mint without video card or if can it will be laggy? Really sorry if i ask this question and have very low computer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can I run Linux Mint Without Video Card/Graphics Card

Post by xenopeek »

I think you meant something other than what you wrote. Whether you have a discrete graphics card (one you can remove from the computer) or the GPU integrated in your processor, such as is common with Intel CPUs and AMD APUs, you can run Linux Mint smoothly in most cases. If you want a more specific answer add some details about your computer:
- if it is a pre-built computer or laptop, what is the make & model?
- what is the processor make and model?
- how much memory (RAM) is installed in your computer?
The OS you are currently running probably has a system information tool that can tell you this or otherwise you can enter your BIOS during startup (usually F2 or Del to enter BIOS) and the information should also be there.
ShinomiyaSatella
Level 1
Level 1

First question: I built my own computer
Second question: Not sure about that but my processor is AMD (AMD A8-9600 RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE 4C+6G 3.10GHz)
Third question: I have 4GB RAM but planning to buy more so I can have 8 or 16GB

That's all I can answer sir
nightfury

Re: Can I run Linux Mint on AMD A8-9600 with RADEON R7?

Post by nightfury »

Yes, you can run. 4GB ram is already sufficient. I have Linux mint installed on AMD A8-6410( with R5 intgerated graphics) on my laptop. This PC is much older than yours. It runs smoothly.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

ShinomiyaSatella wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 am I built my own computer
What is the motherboard brand and model?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
ShinomiyaSatella
Level 1
Level 1

GS3 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:55 pm
ShinomiyaSatella wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 am I built my own computer
What is the motherboard brand and model?
Motherboard Brand: msi

Motherboard Model: A320M PRO-VD/S
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

ShinomiyaSatella wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:30 pm
Motherboard Brand: msi

Motherboard Model: A320M PRO-VD/S
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/A320M-P ... cification
Model Name: A320M PRO-VD/S V2
CPU Support: Supports AMD® Ryzen™ 1st and 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™with Radeon™ Vega Graphics / Athlon™ with Radeon™Vega Graphics and A-series / Athlon™ X4 Processors forSocket AM4
CPU Socket: Socket AM4
Chipset: AMD® A320 Chipset
Graphics Interface: 1 x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot
Display Interface: DVI-D, VGA – Requires Processor Graphics
Memory Support: 2 DIMMs, Dual Channel DDR4-2667
Expansion Slots: 2 x PCI-E x1 slots
Storage: 4 x SATA 6Gb/s
USB ports: 6x USB 3.1 (Gen1) + 6 x USB 2.0
LAN: Realtek® 8111H Gigabit LAN
Audio: 8-Channel(7.1) HD Audio with Audio Boost
ShinomiyaSatella wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 am processor is AMD (AMD A8-9600 RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE 4C+6G 3.10GHz)
Third question: I have 4GB RAM but planning to buy more so I can have 8 or 16GB
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/7th-gen-a8-9600-apu
# of CPU Cores: 4
# of GPU Cores: 6
That is way better than anything I have and should run Linux Mint very well. The only criticism I would find is that it only has 2 DIMM slots which will make adding RAM wasteful as you have to remove the old modules and replace them with modules of larger capacity.

It has graphics included so you do not need a separate video card.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
ShinomiyaSatella
Level 1
Level 1

Last thing guys I saw in new update of linux mint ulyana system requirements that 1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage) the 2gb of ram recommended and kinda worry that i might ran out of ram after i start up and not able to play a game. So now guys I want to know what's the real time ram usage of new linux mint update
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

ShinomiyaSatella wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:44 pmI want to know what's the real time ram usage of new linux mint update
That's like asking how long is a string. The best way to find out what you need is to try it.

I would go for a minimum of 4 GB, better 8 GB and 16 GB is luxury.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

With integrated graphics you really want to have 8GB RAM minimum for any kind of 3D gaming beyond the realms of casual titles because the R7 shares system RAM. So the more that can be allocated automatically based on level of demand from programs to it by the drivers the better.

With a system containing 4GB of RAM it would typically allocate 1GB to the GPU depending on what else is running. 1GB is not really sufficient for modern game titles.

My even older AMD Athlon 5350 SoC with R3 GPU runs Cinnamon fine and I can game with it at the connected monitor's native 60fps. It is derived from the old Jaguar architecture also used in previous generation games consoles from Sony and MS. I have 8GB RAM installed so it allows access to 2GB of it for the GPU component.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ShinomiyaSatella
Level 1
Level 1

is linux mint will allow me to use different ram stick brand but at the same size? (I mean 4GB of ram stck but with different brand?)
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

ShinomiyaSatella wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:45 pm is linux mint will allow me to use different ram stick brand but at the same size? (I mean 4GB of ram stck but with different brand?)
That's the wrong question. The correct question is, "Will my machine allow me to use different ram stick brand but at the same size?" You need to consult your machine's manual for that.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

The manual for that motherboard says
- 2x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 32GB
- Support DDR4 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667/ 2933(OC)/ 3200(OC) Mhz*
- Dual channel memory architecture
- Supports ECC UDIMM memory (non-ECC mode)
- Support non-ECC UDIMM memory
* A-series / Athlon™ X4 processors support a maximum of DDR4 2400 Mhz.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm
ShinomiyaSatella wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:45 pm is linux mint will allow me to use different ram stick brand but at the same size? (I mean 4GB of ram stck but with different brand?)
That's the wrong question. The correct question is, "Will my machine allow me to use different ram stick brand but at the same size?" You need to consult your machine's manual for that.
Additionally, it is not wise to mix modules from different brands. they may have different timings and voltage settings, so one will be compromised for performance by the other 'weaker' module. Always where possible fit matched modules, especially for machines with dual or quad (newer systems) channel memory support
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

antikythera wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:45 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm
Additionally, it is not wise to mix modules from different brands. they may have different timings and voltage settings, so one will be compromised for performance by the other 'weaker' module. Always where possible fit matched modules, especially for machines with dual or quad (newer systems) channel memory support
Well, yes, but I was replying to a newcomer. It wasn't necessary to scare their pants off.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

How do you know if they are wearing any pants? :lol:

It's better to be forewarned with such information than ignorant of the pitfalls.

Return to “Beginner Questions”