linux mint 20, Firefox 78 and broken add search engine

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
arangaran
Level 1
Level 1

linux mint 20, Firefox 78 and broken add search engine

Post by arangaran »

Hi guys i've been using Linux 19.1, 19.2 and 19.3 for a while, and i know how to add the google search engine, i've been doing it for eons, but i just installed linux mint 20 and tried the good old way going here: https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php and choosing the G icon for Google, which leads me to: https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines ... Google&c=y but when i click in "here" as always, it doesn't add the search engine, googling around it might be related to some changes that Firefox 78 implemented, but i'm not sure, so if someone could be so kind to tell me what to do, cos it's getting on my nerves to the point of getting rid of the distro.

I wanted to uninstall firefox (the one that comes pre installed) and install it back but getfirefox throws me a tar.bz2 file, so i'd lose the updates and so on, which is not what i want, so please help.

Anything i could do before getting rid of Linux Mint? and yes i know it might be a petty thing but it matters to me, and no i know i can use other browsers but i use Firefox for different reasons, and yes i know there's chrome, chromium and a plethora of other browsers out there so help me.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Re: linux mint 20, Firefox 78 and broken add search engine

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

arangaran wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:03 am
Anything i could do before getting rid of Linux Mint?
It's a firefox bug. See: viewtopic.php?p=1838844#p1838844
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
sueede
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sueede »

It is fixed with version 78.0.1 release date july 1 .
It will come to you very soon. I received mine july 3.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Confirmed. The Linux Mint software repos for LM 18.x, 19.x and 20.x, all hold the Firefox 78.0.1 software packages by now.
So Update Manager should offer the update to Firefox 78.0.1 really soon. In case it does not, try the [Refresh] button in order to make it look for available updates immediately.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I never noticed it as "missing" as I have Firefox installed direct from Mozilla and not from the Repository.

I have Google as my Preferred Search engine, I have most of the others to use at times when I like how they present things, but DuckDuckGo just does not present me with what I want.

I noticed that FF updated itself several times in the last 3 or 4 days, but the update time is so brief, it doesn't bother me.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
arangaran
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arangaran »

karlchen wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:24 am
Confirmed. The Linux Mint software repos for LM 18.x, 19.x and 20.x, all hold the Firefox 78.0.1 software packages by now.
So Update Manager should offer the update to Firefox 78.0.1 really soon. In case it does not, try the [Refresh] button in order to make it look for available updates immediately.
I have the 78.0.1 already and i CAN'T add the search engine, i read in the other topic that 78.0.1 at least the one in the repos of LM still keep the bug, what do i do now?
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

Can anyone else confirm that Firefox 78.0.1, installed from the Mint repos, really does not fix the bug, which Mozilla has fixed in FF 78.0.1?
I mean I know that some users might consider the precise steps to add a search engine on Firefox a bit convoluted and unintuitive.
So I am not sure whether FF 78.0.1 (LM repos) preserves the bug introduced by Mozilla in FF 78.0, or whether it is more a handling issue again. :?

Karl
--
P.S.:
My LM 19.3 made the big leap forward from FF 77.0.1 to 78.0.1 in one go; so I have not been affected by any bug introduced by FF 78.0. And my Google search engine entry is still present.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
arangaran
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arangaran »

I installed LM20 from scratch and as soon as it was installed updated FF to 78.0.1 and then i tried to install the search engine as always (the procedure hasn't changed since LM 19) and it does NOT let me add the search engine, i know what i'm doing because i've done that several times in the past with LM 19.2 and 19.3, there are NO more updates in update manager so what's installed is the latest, I don't know what kind of proof would you prefer, i guess maybe you should take a leap of faith and believe us? you could test it yourself though boot a VM and install LM 20 and update it and see for yourself.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

arangaran wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:48 pm
I installed LM20 from scratch and as soon as it was installed updated FF to 78.0.1 and then i tried to install the search engine as always (the procedure hasn't changed since LM 19) and it does NOT let me add the search engine, i know what i'm doing because i've done that several times in the past with LM 19.2 and 19.3, there are NO more updates in update manager so what's installed is the latest, I don't know what kind of proof would you prefer, i guess maybe you should take a leap of faith and believe us? you could test it yourself though boot a VM and install LM 20 and update it and see for yourself.
Okay,
I am going to weigh in here again.
Just a few hours ago, I installed the box stock LM20 Cinnamon onto an ASUS TUF laptop with the Bios date of 2010.

the first thing I always do with new installs is set up my Firefox Preferences,
  • Sync is the #1 step ( this causes Firefox to update my Bookmarks and Extensions precisely the same on all PCs )
    Google Search is the #2 step
and the method to add Google Search HAS NOT CHANGED ONE IOTA !!!!!!

it still works precisely as it always has, scroll to the bottom of the new search engine page, and click on the 'G' symbol, then click the link to make it your Preference.

Nothing has changed, and IMO, never has, simply because it has ALWAYS WORKED at the time I did my new installs.

Now before I get lambasted at not giving the Mint team their due for not using DuckDuckGo, I donate to the cause annually, and that will give them more money than my click bait crap links will.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
arangaran
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arangaran »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 pm
arangaran wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:48 pm
Okay,
I am going to weigh in here again.
Just a few hours ago, I installed the box stock LM20 Cinnamon onto an ASUS TUF laptop with the Bios date of 2010.

the first thing I always do with new installs is set up my Firefox Preferences,
  • Sync is the #1 step ( this causes Firefox to update my Bookmarks and Extensions precisely the same on all PCs )
    Google Search is the #2 step
and the method to add Google Search HAS NOT CHANGED ONE IOTA !!!!!!

it still works precisely as it always has, scroll to the bottom of the new search engine page, and click on the 'G' symbol, then click the link to make it your Preference.

Nothing has changed, and IMO, never has, simply because it has ALWAYS WORKED at the time I did my new installs.

Now before I get lambasted at not giving the Mint team their due for not using DuckDuckGo, I donate to the cause annually, and that will give them more money than my click bait crap links will.
If i'm not mistaken and as per what you said you didnt update the system after installing it new, LM 20 comes by default with FF 77.0.1 and that WORKS with the search engine page, so you did this 1) install the OS, 2) sync FF 3) add the Google Search Engine, but while you did all of that you did it using FF 77.0.1, maybe later you updated it to 78.0.1 which just took your settings and kept the google search one, but thats not what i did nor what i said.

i did this 1) install the OS 2)update the OS 3)now on FF 78.0.1 added (or tried to) the google search engine and that's where it failed, this is why i'm telling you guys that 78.0.1, wont work with the add search engine script, verify that you have 78.0.1 before adding the engine and then try to do it, and tell me how it goes for you, i'm pretty sure you'll be stuck the same.

Also you could test it easily this way, boot the Live CD and before opening Firefox, do an update with update manager, it will update FF 77.0.1 to FF 78.0.1, now try to add the google search engine and you will see it wont work, restart the PC and do the same but this time do NOT update anything, start FF 77.0.1, and add the google search engine, it WILL work, the problem it seems is the FF 78.0.1 thats in the repos, test it!.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

sorry,
the 1st thing I do is get Firefox Sync fixed.
2nd thing is add Google Search,
leaving Firefox open so the Sync can do its' thing,
I then activate the System Updates.... when everything finished up, FF was 78.0.1

I have no interest in removing FF and starting all over....
I use LM 19.3 Cinnamon most of the time, and that FF version is a direct PPA from Mozilla.

in LM20, I just did what I described, in that order.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

karlchen wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:33 pm
Hi, folks.

Can anyone else confirm that Firefox 78.0.1, installed from the Mint repos, really does not fix the bug, which Mozilla has fixed in FF 78.0.1?
Yes, I can confirm it 100%. When you get to the LM page to add the search engine and click the link, absolutely nothing happens. This was tested on a 100% clean install, followed by an update to get FF 78.0.1, then a visit the FF search preferences. Those steps are the only steps taken. No changes other than the necessary update were made to the clean installation.
Zeirus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zeirus »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:44 am
karlchen wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:33 pm
Hi, folks.

Yes, I can confirm it 100%. When you get to the LM page to add the search engine and click the link, absolutely nothing happens. This was tested on a 100% clean install, followed by an update to get FF 78.0.1, then a visit the FF search preferences. Those steps are the only steps taken. No changes other than the necessary update were made to the clean installation.
The same for me. I tried in every way to insert Google as a search engine. Every attempt has been in vain. It is as if Google had been blacklisted on search engines. I have the updated version of Linux Mint 20 Mate and Firefox 78.0.1. It is a bug that should be resolved quickly.
Francesco Sorrentino
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Zeirus wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:15 am
The same for me. I tried in every way to insert Google as a search engine. Every attempt has been in vain. It is as if Google had been blacklisted on search engines. I have the updated version of Linux Mint 20 Mate and Firefox 78.0.1. It is a bug that should be resolved quickly.
Google hasn't been blacklisted. No search engines can be added from the LM page.
sueede
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sueede »

It worked for me.
I have that double bars: one addressbar and one searchbar on top of FF.
(It's under settings)

Can't get it work at the moment with only ONE bar at the top of FF
and get the new searchengine under settings - search. (I'm a newbie)

https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
And it opens a new page after click google far down.
"Click HERE to add Google to your searchengines"
After that click the green + sign at the (right) searchbar
and click add the new searchengine.

It is a little unintuitive , but it workes.

FF 78.0.1 LM 20 Cinnamon
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Open Firefox menu select preferences->search->one-click search engines.
And choose your alternative search engines by ticking them.

AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

Gruppo Sportivo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:57 am
Open Firefox menu select preferences->search->one-click search engines.
And choose your alternative search engines by ticking them.

that only works IF, you have already used those Search Engines.

1 click.png
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:58 am
that only works IF, you have already used those Search Engines.
The real meaning of that for those doing a clean install is that it doesn't work.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:58 am
that method only works IF, you have already used those Search Engines.
else you will just get the default of that list of six .. where half of them are not an True Search Engine,
but rather an eCommerce site, instead.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Zeirus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zeirus »

sueede wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:21 am
It worked for me.
I have that double bars: one addressbar and one searchbar on top of FF.
(It's under settings)

Can't get it work at the moment with only ONE bar at the top of FF
and get the new searchengine under settings - search. (I'm a newbie)

https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
And it opens a new page after click google far down.
"Click HERE to add Google to your searchengines"
After that click the green + sign at the (right) searchbar
and click add the new searchengine.

It is a little unintuitive , but it workes.

FF 78.0.1 LM 20 Cinnamon
Great! Your solution works! It is not intuitive (and not even imaginable) but it works great! Thanks so much!
Francesco Sorrentino

Return to “Newbie Questions”