imagemagick vs graphicsmagick (rant) self-[SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

imagemagick vs graphicsmagick (rant) self-[SOLVED]

Post by fotonix »

Pre-warning - a bit of a vent-the-rage rant post

For several years I have enjoyed the powerhouse hidden in the ImageMagick suite. I have used it heavily, built script empires around it for photo processing, etc. Love it.
BUT...
Over the last couple of years, it started complaining. At first little paper cuts - fixed by tracking down some obscure config file for imagemagick and editing it to allow more memory, threads, whatever. Version by version the constriction of default resources continued.
Then they removed PDF support. "Security" blah, blah, blah. And it came to a head this morning. I have a project with "URGENT" stamped all over it in 12 ft high red flashing neon. I wrestle the input into JPG images for each page. Imagemagick's convert gives and obscure scream of panic and refuses to operate per the solution found online (stackexchange or similar). And not that "old" advice either.
Well, I went and installed GraphicsMagick. All I had to do was stick "gm " in front of the exact same 'convert' command and all the 'magick' happened as intended. I have my PDF, it has been delivered and it works.

rant ends. Thank you for your time. A hug to the GraphicsMagick guys if you ever read this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: imagemagick vs graphicsmagick (rant) self-[SOLVED]

Post by absque fenestris »

Hi fotonix

I understand you correctly: Would you completely replace imagemagick with graphicsmagick?

synaptic (as superuser)_002.png
synaptic (as superuser)_002.png (24.63 KiB) Viewed 402 times
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fotonix »

I just added GM to my system, which made production work. Removing IM would break dozens of scripts or take work offline for days to do tweaks rewrites and testing. The computer, OS and software are tools. Broken ones get replaced. This was a quick fix to get a job out the door, shared to: (i) get it off my chest, (ii) possibly help others who encounter feature shrinkage with IM.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Thank you. Then I'll be careful and leave everything as it is.

Return to “Software & Applications”