What's cooking tonight?

Chat about just about anything else
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: What's cooking tonight?

Post by deepakdeshp »

I am a vegetarian,so we always cook veg dishes. It wouldnt make sense to most of you if I describe the Indian dishes we cook.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 am
I am a vegetarian,so we always cook veg dishes. It wouldnt make sense to most of you if I describe the Indian dishes we cook.
Please post some pictures and try to entice us into trying them! :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 am
People who eat meat can also enjoy vegetarian dishes, plus not all of us here eat meat. I don't, and Indian happens to be one of my favourite cuisines. I love a good saagh paneer. I've also tried my hand at making some dishes myself, such as kheer for desert.

In other words, please do post. You'll be enriching us.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Thanks for the encouraging words by you and pjotr.
Indian dishes require generous amount of spices and chillies. To be Frank, I find all the western dishes rather bland. We usually don't drink any alcohol or soft drinks like coke etc.That way my diet is rather boring. As a drink I use water, tender coconut water when I want to indulge. It's not that I don't like meat, I love it but somehow I don't feel comfortable with killing animals for my taste buds. Thats just me, not trying to lecture.

This is a good site which has nice pictures and recipes on how to prepare them. The dishes come out quite nicely.
https://hebbarskitchen.com/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 am
Portreve wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:20 pm
That all sounds so good. I'd be a bit leery of seitan (yes, I had to go look that one up as well) if you have certain medical conditions.
Well, sure, if you're gluten intolerant or allergic, a dish made out of wheat gluten is a thing to stay away from. For the rest of us, it's a pretty good way to get proteins. I like it because it absorbs flavours well, and it has a nice chewy bite.
While I'n not trying to lessen the importance of eating gluten free when one is allergic to or otherwise intolerant of gluten, most people who are on gluten free diets do not need to be and are on them simply because it is the current dietary fad. What bites my ample asset is grocery stores used to carry plenty of sugar free or no sugar added products but now it's difficult to impossible to find them because gluten free products have displaced them, leaving prediabetics (like me) and diabetics out of luck.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

For North Indians, western and central India, the staple food is Roti.My main food is Rotis. For coastal region, south and east the staple food is rice. This is how rotis are made . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKuJ6Xf2Fs
We dont eat bread
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Deepak

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

I love roti! Well-known in The Netherlands because of its former colony Suriname, in which many Hindus live. They started Surinam roti restaurants in The Netherlands. I usually eat it with kouseband (special kind of beans) and chicken:
https://www.surinamcooking.com/roti-massala-kip/

We eat it with our hands, like it should be done. That makes it extra special.

I first ate it in The Hague, some 30 years ago. There was a lot of very hot sambal sauce on the beans, which I underestimated at first bite. Took a lot of water to extinguish that fire. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am
I love roti! Well-known in The Netherlands because of its former colony Suriname, in which many Hindus live. They started Surinam roti restaurants in The Netherlands. I usually eat it with kouseband (special kind of beans) and chicken:

I first ate it in The Hague, some 30 years ago. There was a lot of very hot sambal sauce on the beans, which I underestimated at first bite. Took a lot of water to extinguish that fire. :lol:
Glad to know that you like Roti and are fond of Indian food. The uninitiated has to be careful otherwise he has thing will be too hot and pungent for him. When the fire burns as it did in your case, the best way is too squeeze some lemon in your mouth, it kills the hotness instantaneously. We prepare a chillies pickle bathed in lemon juice. Another favourite for me. The lemon juice absorbs all the pungentness of the chillies and the juice tastes nice , tangy sweet and delicious. These things cant be described, they need to be tried.

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1up7Jpt ... sp=sharing
2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A7X45z ... sp=sharing

This is a delicacy called Appe , the first picture depicts cooking it in a special pan with holes.
Second picture at the top cup is a vegetble Lond bean, with the botanical name Cyamopsis tetragonoloba .
Middle small tray is the cooked dish served in a small tray with raw mango pickle ,
The bottom cup is chutney made from Corriander, chillies and curds. The Appe dish with chutney is yummy and I like it a lot.
Regards,
Deepak

gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

I've just eaten and am full up.
However, just saw your pictures deepak and I actually dribbled. :lol:

You may call me Monsieur Creosote

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:56 am
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am

Glad to know that you like Roti and are fond of Indian food. The uninitiated has to be careful otherwise he has thing will be too hot and pungent for him. When the fire burns as it did in your case, the best way is too squeeze some lemon in your mouth, it kills the hotness instantaneously. We prepare a chillies pickle bathed in lemon juice. Another favourite for me. The lemon juice absorbs all the pungentness of the chillies and the juice tastes nice , tangy sweet and delicious. These things cant be described, they need to be tried.

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1up7Jpt ... sp=sharing
2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A7X45z ... sp=sharing

This is a delicacy called Appe , the first picture depicts cooking it in a special pan with holes.
Second picture at the top cup is a vegetble Lond bean, with the botanical name Cyamopsis tetragonoloba .
Middle small tray is the cooked dish served in a small tray with raw mango pickle ,
The bottom cup is chutney made from Corriander,coconut, chillies and curds. The Appe dish with chutney is yummy and I like it a lot.
Regards,
Deepak

KillMonger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KillMonger »

I'm thinking about how to bake a pizza. My pizza is great. :D

zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zshlover »

KillMonger wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:53 am
Second this, I'm baking pizza tonight :lol:
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I like Indian food, though I must admit to being a second hand vegetarian i.e. the animals that I eat, eat grass......;) To put it crudely, "my food s**ts on your food". Seriously, I have no problem with vegetarianism, I just happen to like dead animals.

That hint about lemon with hot foods is a good one, I've not heard that before. Years ago, there was a petrol station in the Northern Territory that sold a hamburger called an "Old Sweetheart". They'd snigger as they handed it over. :D One mouthful was enough to make CocaCola taste like tap water. It was great!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:52 pm
I like Indian food, though I must admit to being a second hand vegetarian i.e. the animals that I eat, eat grass......;) To put it crudely, "my food s**ts on your food". Seriously, I have no problem with vegetarianism, I just happen to like dead animals.

That hint about lemon with hot foods is a good one, I've not heard that before. Years ago, there was a petrol station in the Northern Territory that sold a hamburger called an "Old Sweetheart". They'd snigger as they handed it over. :D One mouthful was enough to make CocaCola taste like tap water. It was great!
Killing the animals for our sake is what I dont like..
Regards,
Deepak

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

For tonight I'm considering a simple vegetarian curry-like dish with sweet potatoes and cauliflower, served over brown rice.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I don't have a problem with vegetarianism (unlike veganism), but my personal concern is everything you have to replace to ensure you're really getting all the nutrients you're supposed to have. I'm not a nutritionist by trade or training, and I really don't feel like experimenting on my own body to determine what does or doesn't work for me.

But that said, if someone were to make a totally vegetarian meal, I'd t eat it.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

I have survived well for more than 25 years as a vegetarian with no nutrient deficiency.
Regards,
Deepak

Xianders
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xianders »

KillMonger wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:53 am
MMM pizza. You talked me into it. I'll make pizza tomorrow, too.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:58 pm
I have survived well for more than 25 years as a vegetarian with no nutrient deficiency.
I got you beat! I've survived more than 60 years as a carnivore with no nutrient deficiency. I'd like to try surviving as an alcoholic, but can't afford it! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Squirrel on a stick, gah no that is in my game of Fallout 3. It's so hard to distinguish real life from Fallout 3 currently ;)

Summer has sort of finally started here for us so the family will be having salad tonight, which will include things like normal 'salad' stuff (lettuce+tomato etc) rice-salad, potato-salad, olive oil and feta and pilchards etc. I won't have a picture of it sadly, but it will be large and varied and healthy :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Return to “Open chat”