Battery level display

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jobtraklite
Level 1
Level 1

Battery level display

Post by jobtraklite »

Acer AO532h
Linux 19.3 Tricia
MATE 1.22.2
kernal 4.4.0

I would like to know the state of the battery. I've scoured the "conrol center" but cannot find a way to display the battery level. E.g., time or % remaining, charging or no, time till full charge, etc. There is a battery icon on the panel; but it only leads to the "power manager", which isn't what I want.

Google's no help.

Thank you
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Battery level display

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

You should be able to just drag the pointer over the icon and it'll display the % level or right or left click the icon and get a small window that shows the % level plus battery type at the top. Anyway, that's how mine works.
jobtraklite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jobtraklite »

I presume you mean the battery icon on the panel.

http://biketrain.net/panel.png

Dragging the mouse across the panel does nothing. Is this one of those things that can be turned on and off?
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

On MATE - right click > panel > Add to panel > select Battery Charge Monitor > Add.
Right click on the applet > Preferences to optionally add a percentage or time remaining label on the panel.
Hover should display a tool tip with that info in any case.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jobtraklite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jobtraklite »

I'm afraid I don't know what to right click on. But I should be able to click the Menu icon and then"All". Then if "panel" were to appear in the list of apps in the rightmost column, I could continue with the sequence you mention. But there is no "panel' app. Also, I had the idea that what I am looking for is an applet. But I can't find "applet" in the menu list, or "desklet" for that matter.

If I click "Menu" then "Control Center". I get a list of apps broken down into groups. Again, I can't find panel. If I enter "panel" in the "Filter" search box, I get "No matches found".

These are all things I had already tried before posting. I'm beginning to think I need to go back to the woodshed and study the MATE manual, if one exists. The user interface, at least the system setting part, is so different from Cinnamon. Otherwise MATE has been working well for me.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

Right click on the battery icon already on your panel > Preferences/configure (whichever it says) to optionally add a percentage or time remaining label on the panel.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

jobtraklite wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 pm
I presume you mean the battery icon on the panel.

http://biketrain.net/panel.png

Dragging the mouse across the panel does nothing. Is this one of those things that can be turned on and off?
Yes, the icon in the panel, in lower right on mine. Yours looks way different than mine, my screen shot below. Also, right or left clicking on the battery & selecting Preferences does not give NOT give me the Configure option noted by antikythera. I just get Power Mgmt. Pref. where I see no way to configure what is displayed, mine has just always shown the % level or time or both, don't know how, it's just always been that way! Sorry I can't offer more help, good luck!

BTW, I was actually able to get a screen shot w/the % level displayed but for some reason couldn't attachment it!
Attachments
Screenshot at 2020-07-10 08-10-16.png
Screenshot at 2020-07-10 08-10-16.png (124.33 KiB) Viewed 244 times
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Got it!
Attachments
Screenshot at 2020-07-10 08-28-29.jpeg
Screenshot at 2020-07-10 08-28-29.jpeg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 239 times
jobtraklite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jobtraklite »

OP here.

Wonder of wonders. I booted the machine a couple of blocks away and dragging the mouse across the battery icon did bring up what I wanted, just like y'all said. The status said that it was charging; but the level was still at zero after charging for a long time.

So I concluded that the battery is shot and I'll have to move on. The Acer AO532h is a netbook dating from 2007. So not much is lost.

Thanks for the attempts to help.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
The question asked by helebakbi is now here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”