How to Add A New Internal Hard Drive to Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

How to Add A New Internal Hard Drive to Mint?

Post by abrogard »

I have a mint system with two drives currently. The first is the system drive. The second is a sick unmountable drive I want to copy.

So I have this new Seagate 2T drive I want to attach to the system so's I can copy the sick one.

How to do that?

I tried simply hooking up the SATA cables and then switching on the computer but when it came up it didn't see the new drive.

It would be just as Seagate sends them from the factory - I suppose that means unpartitioned, unformatted.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to Add A New Internal Hard Drive to Mint?

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

abrogard wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:59 am
I suppose that means unpartitioned, unformatted.
You suppose correctly. Create a new partition table, and add your partition(s) using the Disks program or gparted.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

I used gparted, I think. It comes up with a 'list box' thing and the details of the first drive? And then you can select the next fom the list box? Well it only came up with two drives. It didn't see the third one, the new one.

Are you saying that creating this 'partition table' enables it to see a new drive?

unfortunately I'm not with that machine now, won't be there until tomorrow....
colski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colski »

I'm no linux guru. However, when you boot up the machine, go into your bios. You should see how to do this as the machine boots up. It could be the F2, F10 or Del key or something else etc...

Firstly, find the list of the hard drives and see if your pc's bios sees the new drive.

This may help you with other steps to take to get Linux to recognise it.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

You need to use gparted to:
  • create a partition table, msdos or gpt doesn't really matter.
  • create partition(s). If just linux then format ext4, if sharing with win then ntfs. Add a label when you create the partition(s).
A partition table on it's own does not make the drive visible, it is only when you add a partition that the partition become visible to your file manager.

If you create a new ext4 partition with gparted, it will be owned by root - you won't be able to write to it. Open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /media/you/whatever_label_you_gave_it
This will change ownership of it and its contents to you.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

I'll look in the BIOS when I go there today.

What is the normal procedure for adding a drive to MInt?
Are they usually immediately seen by the system?

I thought all partitions were going to be created by ddrescue.

Return to “Newbie Questions”