Where did my linux mint go?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loybanks
Level 4
Level 4

Where did my linux mint go?

Post by loybanks »

I just finished installing Linux Mint 19 beside my Windows 10. All went well so far a I know. But now where is my Linux? Nothing has come up signifying that it is installed. I can't locate. Can't find. So any body have suggestions where I should look? Or did it actually install? I am lost with this one. Thanks so much for your help. Loy Banks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Loy Banks (83 Years Old and doing pretty good for an old man :))
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Where did my linux mint go?

Post by all41 »

So what is your current situation on boot,
Is it booting directly into windows?
Do you have more than one hdd/ssd drive?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Probably installed in legacy mode while the system boots UEFI?
loybanks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by loybanks »

Yes it still just boots directly into Windows 10.

I am guessing it did install into Legacy mode while the system boots UEFI. Sounds interesting and most likely correct. When Windows 10 started booting before install I used Esc Key, then F9 to start the process. So this somehow is most likely my problem.

But how do I overcome this? Are the files somewhere in the machine? Do I need to reinstall but use different settings? Obviously I am lost with this and really need a step by step to get on with Linux Mint.

A short time back I installed Linux Mint in my Laptop and I love it. With the Laptop I installed over Windows 10. But current issue is in my HP Desktop, my Primary Machine. So thought it best to install along side Windows 10.

OK> Thanks so much to all. Hope to hear back from you soon. Loy Banks (80 years old)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Posted the above from a tablet while turning in; had hoped that e.g. all41 would expand. When you booted the Mint Live/Installer system with F9 you supposedly were presented two choices for doing so in the menu that you got, one mentioning UEFI and one not. If you pick the UEFI one Mint will install in UEFI mode automatically.

I am in fact not at the moment fully sure, and cannot now check, if the installer will allow to install over your previous install while still "next to" Windows: you might need to manually remove the previous Mint install again and do it again, because yes, if you didn't notice anything bombing out during the install Mint will now be on your system but I would not recommend trying to fix it up manually to boot in UEFI mode if indeed the issue is that you installed it in legacy mode.

Best thing to do is again boot the Mint Live/Installer, preferably this time immediately in UEFI mode, and open GParted, which is supposedly available from the menu's, and post a screenshot of your disk; you can just open a browser to this forum from the Live/Installer system. And/or hope for a different responder who has a bit more time (well... opportunity) at the moment.
loybanks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by loybanks »

Well I am still getting no where with this install. I have gone into the Set Up and Disabled Safe Boot and Enabled Legacy per instructions in link "How to Install Linux Mint 19 Alongside Windows 10 or 8 in Dual-Boot UEFI Mode". (https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... i-mode/amp) Then also disabled Secure Boot. But from there I can't get it to boot from the CD/DVD. Then there is supposed to be another box that comes up after a new reboot, where I am supposed to enter a four digit code, but this is not happening. So guess I will continue playing around with this until maybe something positive happens. Never new this would be so trying on the body system. :) Always open for more help and/or suggestions. As always my thanks.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Disabling safe boot is not necessary and enabling legacy boot you should not. The point is that Windows and Linux need to be installed in the same mode. I previously suspected that you had installed Linux in legacy mode whereas Windows was installed in UEFI mode, but apparently not if legacy mode wasn't even enabled in the BIOS up to now.

What then now seems to make most sense is you having Fast startup enabled in Windows. I.e., please first of all disable legacy in your BIOS again (safe boot you may or may not re-enable) and boot into Windows. I am not a Windows user, but this looks to be the thing: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001762.htm. Then shutdown, and start back up. If I'm not mistaken this time this will probably mean you get presented the Grub menu automatically and will be able to boot into Linux as well as Widows from it.

To explain: Windows' "fast startup" has it not shut down fully but basically save itself to disk and plan to on starting up again just reload itself. That is, Grub would never get a chance to run.

No idea what you mean by the box with the 4-digit code --- but I'll leave that hanging...

Return to “Beginner Questions”