Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MellowTigger
Level 1
Level 1

19.3->20 failure. a journey.

Post by MellowTigger »

I had my recommended backups and decided to upgrade. Normally, I would wait for the more Linux-savvy people to work out the problems, but a coworker reported he was having graphics difficulties since upgrading (without my recommendation), so I figured I had better learn fast. So I upgraded my home machine.

It seemed to work, at first. I booted okay. But I kept having graphics glitches that required rebooting. Until... I could no longer reboot.

I tried an old LM19.2 USB stick, and I couldn't boot from it either.
I burned new LM20 and LM19.3 USB sticks, and I couldn't boot from them either. I'd get the GRUB option, I'd select the LM menu item, sometimes I would get far enough to see a brief Linux Mint logo on the screen, then... just a solid unblinking underscore character in the top left corner of the screen. Neither regular nor compatibility options worked. Whenever I was at the GRUB menu, I would sometimes do that "System Check" (or whatever the phrase), and it would always pass okay.

I finally burned LM20 to USB again, but this time I chose the old MBR partition scheme instead of the usual GPT. The first boot to "regular" LM20 failed as usual. I tried one last time, choosing the Compatibility option. FINALLY! I have a Linux Mint desktop for the first time.

I can see my hard drive partitions. I can load my user home directory. I will try installing a fresh LM20 over the old one to see what happens.
MellowTigger
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 19.3->20 failure. a journey.

Post by MellowTigger »

I installed, manually setting partitions again to reuse appropriate spaces on my various hard drives. It said to reboot, so I rebooted. Now I'm stuck at a screen that shows (after the Linux Mint logo flashed briefly on the screen):

[0.223435] Initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed
BusyBox v1.30.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.30.10-4ubuntu6) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs) {blinking cursor here}

And the cursor doesn't respond to keyboard, so I can't even type "help". *ignorant shrug*
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

LM19.3 USB sticks, and I couldn't boot from them either. I'd get the GRUB option, I'd select the LM menu item, sometimes I would get far enough to see a brief Linux Mint logo on the screen, then... just a solid unblinking underscore character in the top left corner of the screen.
Had that yesterday installing LM19.3 to a USB HDD in UEFI mode (on a thinkpad T430 - they don't get much more linux friendly). Installed okay but on reboot got the underscore character and nothing else. Re-installed LM19.3 and all was well. No idea why?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
MellowTigger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MellowTigger »

I couldn't boot to LM20 after the reinstall. :( I remembered an unused NVME drive on my tower, so I powered down, removed it, and tried again. No good.

So I tried loading LM19.3 onto USB thumb drive again, but no options could get that to work. :(

So I reloaded the LM20 onto USB thumb drive. Again, that method works ONLY when I write to USB using MBR (not GPT) and also select the Compatibility option on the selection menu at boot. Then the LM20 installer environment loads properly.

So I finished that and still couldn't boot to LM20. I still got the mystery underscore character in the top left corner after the Linux Mint logo briefly displayed.

I rebooted and tapped the ESCAPE key to try getting a service menu. It worked.
  1. I selected Advanced, then Recovery option to get the tools menu.
  2. I selected to enable Networking.
  3. I selected to fix broken packages. There were a lot of broken packages. As in, a LOT of broken packages, from Linux-firmware to Firefox.
  4. It finally finished. I selected the continue boot option.
I have a LOGIN SCREEN! I have a login screen. :) I logged in, and all of my old files are still on my desktop. YAY!
MellowTigger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MellowTigger »

I switched to Nvidia drivers, rebooted, and then I was back in the cycle of being stuck at a mystery underscore character, or the screen would develop blue pixels. Either way, I could no longer login. Back to GRUB menu advanced recovery options, enable Networking, drop to Root Console. I think this is the command that got me switched back to the generic Nouveau display drivers.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

So I'm stuck with a single display until I get this figured out. But at least I can function again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”