KDE Appearance Settings (resolved)

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

KDE Appearance Settings (resolved)

Post by red-e-made »

OK, as I said in the other thread, I just switched to Gloria KDE, and I really love it. You all did a great job.

The only thign that's bothering me is the Look and Feel portion of the Systems Settings seems to have no effect whatsoever on my machine. I have the 180 nvidia driver installed and am using GeForce 8000M GS. I can make neat things like wobbly windows happen using Compiz, but literally nothing under Look and Feel of the Systems Settings is working.

Would love some advice here.
Last edited by red-e-made on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muzer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KDE Appearance Settings

Post by Muzer »

red-e-made wrote:OK, as I said in the other thread, I just switched to Gloria KDE, and I really love it. You all did a great job.

The only thign that's bothering me is the Look and Feel portion of the Systems Settings seems to have no effect whatsoever on my machine. I have the 180 nvidia driver installed and am using GeForce 8000M GS. I can make neat things like wobbly windows happen using Compiz, but literally nothing under Look and Feel of the Systems Settings is working.

What look and feel portion? You've lost me. Could you take a screenshot of the bit you're talking about?
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Muzer wrote:
red-e-made wrote:OK, as I said in the other thread, I just switched to Gloria KDE, and I really love it. You all did a great job.

What look and feel portion? You've lost me. Could you take a screenshot of the bit you're talking about?
Applications>System>System Settings>General>Look & Feel
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

red-e-made wrote:I have the 180 nvidia driver installed and am using GeForce 8000M GS. I can make neat things like wobbly windows happen using Compiz, but literally nothing under Look and Feel of the Systems Settings is working.
I would probably look over Kde 4.2x settings in general, to see what can/can't be done easily..

http://forums.opensuse.org/applications ... 4-2-a.html
post 10
  • The second thing I learned was to NOT use CompizConfig Setting Manager, nor Simple-CCSM to manipulate the settings. Every time I saved the settings using those apps, it screwed the pooch. Instead, I use the native Personal Settings -> Desktop -> Look & Feel -> Desktop Effects method exclusively, and it's NEVER caused a problem. The settings work as desired, and they 'stick' around, e.g. features don't magically turn themselves off after a few minutes, or the next reboot, et cetera.
http://forums.opensuse.org/pre-release- ... olors.html
http://randomtechoutburst.blogspot.com/ ... es-my.html
  • The compositing is slow & bloated! It isn't Compiz!!
    If you think compositing is useless bloat... turn it off (easy: ALT+F12 if you don't like using the GUI configuration). For all of you about to complain about Nvidia + KDE 4: Get an updated driver, preferably one in the 180 series like 180.22, the bugs with plasma and Nvidia cards have largely been solved. I know because the desktop I'm writing this from has an 8800GT and is extremely smooth & stable.
    For all of you addicted to compiz bling, well: kwin4 does NOT have all the "features" of compiz, although it has the ones I personally care about most like the desktop wall for managing virtual desktops
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE Appearance Settings (resolved)

Post by red-e-made »

Thanks, DrHu, that was really helpful. Things are running very smoothly now - dare I say, comparable to Compiz.

Return to “KDE”