My Covid 19 hobby

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

My Covid 19 hobby

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I wasnt looking to do this again but when my last motorised bicycle frame broke on me after 5 years and 6000 miles, i decided on May 7th 2020 to build a new one...The pics will show you the results...anyone else have too much time on their hands during this social distancing thing going on ???feel free to add...DAMIEN

PS...I know that Moem likes to pedal her bike so hopefully she will find this of some small interest even though its motorised.

https://imgur.com/a/wNpGyGI

OOOPS...i should have put this in "open chat"...sorry, mods, please move it there for me if you would.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: My Covid 19 hobby

Post by antikythera »

Very impressive metalworking skills, it looks shop standard. I mainly just did some renovation projects at home and the business office, nothing anywhere near as fun as your project.

I've been mulling over a conversion kit for my hybrid.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:46 am I know that Moem likes to pedal her bike so hopefully she will find this of some small interest even though its motorised.
'Like' is a big word. It has several benefits, let's just keep it at that.
I actually also have several motorcycles and a motorized tricycle. That's a cute little thing you have there.

(Topic moved. If you mispost, please feel free to report your own post instead of relying on us to read all the posts, all the time. Thank you!)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

The tires are kevlar reinforced, the tubes are double thick-dual walled self sealing tubes, the lighting set are solar panel power rechargeable lithium ion batteries, the seat is energy/shock absorbing memory foam, the front engine mount is my own design made from aircraft aluminum, also using "avgas" (aviation grade octane fuel)...it is capable of 47 miles per hour, (75 to 76 km), with my fat butt sitting on it...lol... yes, there is a digital speedometer installed as well...It weighs 80 pounds, (36.2 kg), just thought that some might appreciate the specs involved...DAMIEN
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

Wow! That's a very pretty bike, Might even go to "beautiful". :D
I've been building a pizza oven, I foolishly agreed to make a terrace with it and removed too much dirt and clay.
That needed to be filled with more gravel and sand.
https://imgur.com/gallery/K10WAqi
https://imgur.com/gallery/7so6CI8
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi swampthing,

That pizza oven is a work of art, its beautiful...DAMIEN
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

Aaaawww! Thx Damien. I would trade it any day for your bike though. :D
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Hi Damien
an interesting two-wheeler (here in the Helvetian fields it is called "Töffli" and is guaranteed not to be approved; self-build anyway ...).

Can you give a few details about the engine such as: cubic capacity and fuel consumption?
I assume it's a two-stroke engine (correct me...); what is the composition of your avgas mixture?

Then a question mark: The brakes. The front brake looks a bit antiquated - to put it mildly.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi absque fenestris,
Below is the site with all the specs listed for the motor that you asked to see.
https://www.bicycle-engines.com/new-zed ... m-edition/

This particular motors "cc" size actually works out to 70 cc two-stroke by American measurements standards.
Fuel comsumption is around 105 miles per gallon with my weight and the weight of the bike combined. (weight of bike in total is 80 pounds and my weight is in the OMG category, lol)
The only Octane boost i have found to be effective to actually bring the fuel up to an avgas rating, (between 101 to 130 octane to qualify as avgas), is the Amsoil Dominator Octane Booster which brings me to the lower rating of that scale complete with the avgas "green/yellow" colour, (1 once to gallon).
I also use Amsoil's 2 cycle full synthetic oil in the mixture for a 32:1 mix.
The front brake is the antiquated front caliper 'contact to the rim' design, im eventually thinking of changing that out to front disk brake but is sufficient for now.

Töffli in English roughly translates to "novel" or "trendy"...not so trendy to me at least, if you look at the original Harley Davidson first motorcyle made in 1903/1904, It also was just a motor and belt drive adapted to a bicycle frame 117 years ago...lol...a long lived "trend" i think.
https://www.firstversions.com/2015/04/h ... idson.html

You also mentioned
guaranteed not to be approved; self-build anyway
Why would this be not approved in your country just out of curiosity ?...DAMIEN
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:55 am
You also mentioned
guaranteed not to be approved; self-build anyway
Why would this be not approved in your country just out of curiosity ?...DAMIEN
In Europe, all motorised vehicles must be factory made.
So putting a 2-stroke engine on a bike, makes it a moped or a scooter. Then it needs a national or EU type-approval to legally drive it on the roads.
Sadly, your beautiful bike doesn’t fit into any categories, so it’s illegal to drive it in Europe. I’d love to have a bike like this though.
Electric bikes have the type-approval in Europe, so they are legal. Although not as pretty as yours.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

My Covid 19 hobby, is not to be busy with the Covid 19!!!!
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Swampthing wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:15 am Sadly, your beautiful bike doesn’t fit into any categories, so it’s illegal to drive it in Europe. I’d love to have a bike like this though.
Hi Swampthing - you can.

It's an Auto-Cycle http://www.autocycles.co.uk/ You'll need the ECWVTA) https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/mot ... e-approval

Granted, England and Denmark may not have identical systems, but -
absque fenestris wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:04 pm... in the Helvetian fields it is called "Töffli" and is guaranteed not to be approved; self-build anyway ...).
I've heard that a possible way around such problems is to build it and then get a friend, in a different, European country to register it. You then you buy it from them and import it!

I'm not sure of the legality of that, but it's meant to have worked.

One bit I know is legal is that a bloke emigrated from England to France taking his bike with him. His engine blew-up, and he replaced it with another, but never registered it. In order to buy the bike I had to spend a loooong time on the phone, but as the new motor was on the French registry and the rest of the bike was on the British registry, I had to 'import' the engine, and register the 'new' bike - £50? Plus phone call.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Hi Damien

"Töff" is a big motorcycle, "Töffli" is the diminutive. The origin is probably onomatopoeic.

The regulations in Switzerland are strict, the trend is towards banning two-stroke mopeds/mofas.

From Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mofa
Switzerland Mofa/Moped
In 1961 the legal basis for a motorized bicycle was created in Switzerland, the first manufacturer on the local market was Pony Motos. Mopeds were widespread in the working class and in agriculture and were part of youth culture. Due to increasing prosperity and the introduction of helmets and the new category of scooters, sales of the "Töffli" decreased.
In Switzerland, the moped is considered a motorized bike. According to Art. 18 Par. a VTS, a moped is a single-seat vehicle with a design-related top speed of 30 km/h, a maximum engine power of 1 kW and an internal combustion engine with a maximum cubic capacity of 50 cm³.
The moped must be able to be moved by pedals (pedal crank requirement).
The minimum age for purchase is 14 years. Until 1977, no driver's license was required.
My experiences in this regard come from the years 1971 - 1975.
At least since then I know how a 2-stroke engine is constructed and which ceramic drills are suitable for removing state-prescribed hard metal seals.
So prepared, the cylinder head slightly edited, air intake enlarged, etc., the vehicle reached about 60 km/h.

Already strictly forbidden back then, one would probably be crucified by a Swedish girl today.

My "töffli" at the time looked something like this:

Return to “Open Chat”