Mint 20 Update Manager Missing the Tab Levels

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
idle
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 20 Update Manager Missing the Tab Levels

Post by idle »

Finally got my brother to switch to Linux. I'm still using 18.3 so its a bit hard to fix this over the phone with him. Sadly when I try a search engine and say 'Update Manager' all I get are results on how to install and upgrade to Linux Mint :P

The problem is he doesn't want to make any mistakes with Updates. So I told him to go to Update Manager - Edit - Preferences - Tab: Levels. But he says there is no Tab: Levels in Linux Mint 20.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking the Update Manager 18.3 is different from 20, so how can I instruct my brother to select only Updates that are safe, Level 1 and Level 2 Updates only.

antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 20 Update Manager Missing the Tab Levels

Post by antikythera »

The level filtering and other obsolete options were removed in Mint 19.2

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tina_cinn ... atsnew.php
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:58 pm
The level filtering and other obsolete options were removed in Mint 19.2
Exactly and he should probably enable snapshots with Timeshift just in case and the now obsolete levels are unnecessary.
idle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by idle »

Okay. Then how does one manage updates? I went to the link, vague explanation. Updates come in Levels 1, 2 and so on. He doesn't want to just install anything, as the last time he did that when he rebooted he was met with a (initramfs) error that took me ages to fix for him over the phone.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

That's why you should instruct him to use Timeshift. If he runs Timeshift before mintupdate, he can recover a non-bootable system with the Live Media. The Live Media contains Timeshift too, so all he'd have to do in the same situation again is fire that up and click recover for the last snapshot taken in the Timeshift user interface. Then not apply the update again for the time being and post here for help.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
idle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by idle »

I'm well aware of timeshift. Can anyone actually answer my question? Is there any information (detailed) about the new Update Manager and its functions I could follow?
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Hi idle,

There are ton's of threads on the forum discussing the pros and cons of the decision to deprecate the levels system, but it's gone and not coming back.

E.g viewtopic.php?p=1733133#p1733133

The general recommendation is to apply all updates and use timeshift in the event of a regression that prevents use of the machine - i.e. it's recommended to keep a live iso around for recovery in this method. Personally I've always done that (ignored the level system entirely when it existed) in roughly 5 years of using Mint full time and I've never yet actually needed timeshift, but mileage will vary. 99% of the time regressions are hardware specific.

Current Update manager does allow the user to blacklist specific updates either only for the particular version being offered as an update or indefinitely.

Packages can be blacklisted by rightclicking the pending update or can be manually added via Edit > Preferences > Blacklist.

If your goal was to recreate the levels system via the blacklist function and not update packages that used to be categorised as level 3 or 4 this list of those packages is here

viewtopic.php?p=1671895#p1671895

But if you block that entire list indefinitely you will end up with a system with unpatched security vulnerabilities.

Also see https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... e.html#ID3
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”