Update woes, 19.3 to 20

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
xmastree
Level 1
Level 1

Update woes, 19.3 to 20

Post by xmastree »

Hey everybody, I hope someone can point me in the right direction here.
I just updated to 20 from 19.3 by following this and I seem to have got myself into rather a mess.
All was going well until I got to the end, when I was presented with this . Yeah, that doesn't bode well.
The next line suggests going to the software sources and downgrading foreign packages, even though there weren't any when I did the previous check. I figured I'd take a look anyway, but nothing happens... Hmm.
So, the command to open them from the menu appears to be pkexec mintsources so I figured I'd run that in a terminal and see how that goes:

Code: Select all

chris@chris-desktop:~$ pkexec mintsources
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 9, in <module>
    import pycurl
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pycurl'
chris@chris-desktop:~$ 
Wonderful. :?
Back to that error message for a second, it says try apt --fix-broken install but that doesn't seem to be a valid command:

chris@chris-desktop:~$ apt --fix-broken install
apt
Usage: apt command [options]
       apt help command [options]

Commands:
So, that's where I am right now, scratching my head and wondering why I decided to upgrade when it was working just fine.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or fix it until it is.
afora
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Update woes, 19.3 to 20

Post by afora »

Just two cents based on my experience, which may or may not be very helpful (and probably not directly relevent):

Even though you may be lucky in solving your issue, and despite what developers of operating systems want you to believe (Window, Linux etc), it's probably safe to assume that everything what can go wrong during migration will do so.

In other words, for long term planning, it's probably safer to design a system configuration so you can recreate it from a new install (e.g. keep a record of changes, or better a configuration script). In the end, a smooth new build may be much less time consuming in comparison to debugging. Plus you may still end up with something which only works in some places.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

xmastree wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:58 am
I just updated to 20 from 19.3 by following this and I seem to have got myself into rather a mess.
Upgrades of any Linux between major releases ought to be avoided at all costs. We've had no end of posts here from failed upgrade attempts. I'm not exactly impressed with the devs over the issue. You have two choices.

1) Wait until someone comes along who has the skill to help you sort out the problem, then wait an unknown number of hours for the upgrade to finish. I've seen reports of 10 hours.

2) Bite the bullet, back up your important files and clean install, waiting perhaps not much more than 5 minutes if you fast NVMe drive, or maybe 15 minutes if your michine is on the slower side.

If this were my problem, I'd take option 2) even before I found out that there were going to be problems on the grounds that I just know there are going to be problems, but then I've been at this for years.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 am
xmastree wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:58 am
Upgrades of any Linux between major releases ought to be avoided at all costs. We've had no end of posts here from failed upgrade attempts. I'm not exactly impressed with the devs over the issue. You have two choices.

1) Wait until someone comes along who has the skill to help you sort out the problem, then wait an unknown number of hours for the upgrade to finish. I've seen reports of 10 hours.

2) Bite the bullet, back up your important files and clean install, waiting perhaps not much more than 5 minutes if you fast NVMe drive, or maybe 15 minutes if your michine is on the slower side.

If this were my problem, I'd take option 2) even before I found out that there were going to be problems on the grounds that I just know there are going to be problems, but then I've been at this for years.
ya, to be honest, i don't know why there is even an option to upgrade like that? never goes well. backing up important stuff and doing a clean install is ALWAYS the easier and smoother route.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 am
.... We've had no end of posts here from failed upgrade attempts. I'm not exactly impressed with the devs over the issue. ....
Well, the Ubuntu base has the same problem so I wouldn't be too hard on the Mint devs.

However, this has been going on for years. I certainly wouldn't do a web upgrade without a system backup first.

I'm also wondering when the hell Ubuntu based distros will support 4K HD allignment OOTB.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Mint uses an apt script, and so you have to use any --parameter AFTER the command part.

So instead of:

apt --fix-broken install
You use:

apt install --fix-broken
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Warning:
This step is non-reversible. Once you perform it, the only way to go back is by restoring a system snapshot.
why are you trying to fix it even. you decided to go ahead and upgrade, can you at least follow the instructions, but these are not official yet are they?
xmastree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xmastree »

trytip wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:34 am
Warning:
This step is non-reversible. Once you perform it, the only way to go back is by restoring a system snapshot.
why are you trying to fix it even. you decided to go ahead and upgrade, can you at least follow the instructions, but these are not official yet are they?
No need to be rude. I did follow the instructions, something went wrong.

So I reverted back to the last system snapshot and all's well again. I may do a clean install sometime, but not just yet.
xmastree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xmastree »

zcot wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:29 am
Mint uses an apt script, and so you have to use any --parameter AFTER the command part.

So instead of:

apt --fix-broken install
You use:

apt install --fix-broken
That's interesting, so the error message is formatted incorrectly then? How bizarre.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

xmastree wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:47 pm
zcot wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:29 am

So instead of:

apt --fix-broken install
You use:

apt install --fix-broken
That's interesting, so the error message is formatted incorrectly then? How bizarre.
Well the error message is coming from the default toolset, it's actually not incorrect. But given the scenario it is, yes.

Otherwise you should run:

sudo /usr/bin/apt --fix-broken install
another bonus with Mint's apt is that sudo is not needed, it does get implied on the commands that would require it otherwise and you will be prompted for the password.

Return to “Newbie Questions”