Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ossian13

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Ossian13 »

Hi,

just installed linux mint 20, and every time i get to enter my password two times, i dont know why the OS is prompting me twice, i looked over the internet but could not find anyting useful. Output of dpkg iss following

Code: Select all

dpkg --list lightdm* *greeter* | grep "^ii"
ii  lightdm                              1.30.0-0ubuntu3.1 amd64        Display Manager
ii  lightdm-settings                     1.4.2             all          LightDM configuration tool
ii  slick-greeter                        1.4.1+ulyana      amd64        Slick-looking LightDM greeter
So there is no other greeter. Idk what else to do. Any ideas? Or a link to a similar problem would be helpful as i could not find any :(.

Regards,
Ossian
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Ossian13 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:42 pm Any ideas?
Sorry, but you need to post an appropriate query in a help section of the forum. This is a poll thread in the chat section, not the help section.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Ossian13

Post by Ossian13 »

Dark Owl wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:44 pm
Ossian13 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:42 pm Any ideas?
Sorry, but you need to post an appropriate query in a help section of the forum. This is a poll thread in the chat section, not the help section.
But its related to the main topic.. i'll do as you say anyway. tks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ossian13 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 pm its related to the main topic..
First of all:
- A new question deserves a new topic. That's a rule we have here. So yes, it's related, but that's not a good reason to post your question on it. Thank you for starting a new topic.
Secondly:
- A topic in the chat area is not the best spot to get support anyway. Many members don't look there.
Finally:
- Your new topic is now here, because the chat area was still not the best spot to get support, even in a new topic.

You could do worse* than to read How to get help. There's a reason it's posted in red at the top of every page outside the Chat area.

*For example, by not reading it. That would definitely be worse.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
fadingfool

Post by fadingfool »

I went to do a fresh install of 20 to (hopefully) solve my cinnamon crashing bug I had with 19.3 (after 4.13 kernel upgrade) - not GPU hardware problem as same thing occurred with intel onboard as with the R7 240 GPU. Normally I just make a USB stick using Universal USB installer but this produced a stick that got as far as Grub but then failed with a file not found. Rather than mess around I just created another USB stick with Yumi and the installation went smoothly.
Unfortunately the crashing bug is still there so managed to install Mate before cinnamon crashed again and switch desktop environments. All is now fine and whilst not as pretty as it was before seems to be working well (though this was late last night so haven't got everything up and running how I like it).
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

My only issues with LM 20 is it still hasn't deposited several million dollars in my bank account, nor has it cured my male pattern baldness. So, I'm really pissed of with the developers for those obvious and glaring bugs.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I did a clean install of Mint 20 Xfce and almost everything worked fine - updates, install wine, wifi, etc. The one glitch was thunar would be running at startup, and exo-open was funky (I changed the launchers to not use it).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm My only issues with LM 20 is it still hasn't deposited several million dollars in my bank account, nor has it cured my male pattern baldness. So, I'm really pissed of with the developers for those obvious and glaring bugs.
Really nice one, on the same note I am unhappy because LM 20 doesn't do the dishes ,wipe and sweep the floor.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm
Portreve wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm My only issues with LM 20 is it still hasn't deposited several million dollars in my bank account, nor has it cured my male pattern baldness. So, I'm really pissed of with the developers for those obvious and glaring bugs.
Really nice one, on the same note I am unhappy because LM 20 doesn't do the dishes ,wipe and sweep the floor.
I'm glad I'm not the only one upset. There are some potholes in the street by my house. Clem should have fixed 'em by now :-)
Knister77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Knister77 »

Good day,
Since Mint 20, I can't use the settings any more. Notification is :
Execution of python failed to execute child process: No such file or directory
Updated on 2019-12-26 12:31:27

Thanks for your work and help .
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Knister77 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 am Thanks for your work and help .
If it's help you're looking for, you need to open a thread in an appropriate area of the forum.
Moem wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:38 pm
Ossian13 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 pm its related to the main topic..
First of all:
- A new question deserves a new topic. That's a rule we have here. So yes, it's related, but that's not a good reason to post your question on it. Thank you for starting a new topic.
Secondly:
- A topic in the chat area is not the best spot to get support anyway. Many members don't look there.
Finally:
- Your new topic is now here, because the chat area was still not the best spot to get support, even in a new topic.

You could do worse* than to read How to get help. There's a reason it's posted in red at the top of every page outside the Chat area.

*For example, by not reading it. That would definitely be worse.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Crazy Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crazy Horse »

I set up a brand new PC as dual boot - Linux 20 Cinnamon and Windows 10. This is part of my ongoing process to wean myself off Microsoft and Google products.

Hardware:
Intel i7-10700k CPU
MSI MPG Gaming Carbon WiFi motherboard
2 1TB Intel 665p M.2 nVMe solid state drives - 1 each for Windows 10 and Mint
6TB Seagate hard drive to be shared as data drive by Windows 10 and Mint

Installed Windows 10 first on 1 nVMe drive.
Installed Mint 20 Cinnamon on the other nVMe drive. Partitioned 100GB for root some for swap space and the rest for user.

Install went flawlessly, except I couldn't get the grub to work properly. When I rebooted the machine it would go directly into Windows unless I held down the F11 key every time.

I discovered that the efibootmgr had the order of linux and windows 10 reversed (0000 being windows and 0003 being Mint). I fixed it by the following command:

$ sudo efibootmgr -o 0003,0000

Once that was done, reboots now directly into the grub menu where I can choose between Mint (default) and Windows 10.

Just loaded TexStudio and slowly beginning to load key applications as needed.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

I have done three installs of:
Release Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 64-bit (based on based on Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal Fossa")
MATE 1.24.0
on Oracle Virtualbox with very few problems or difficulties encountered.

I use a file server based on Linux Mint 19.x with Samba file shares. I was pleasantly surprised to find I only needed to instal samba (sudo apt-get install samba) to access those shares. However I can also confirm that Nautilus-Share does NOT work on the new images. I will acknowledge that I did not bother trying to configure samba or expend any other effort to troubleshoot the problem other than immediate removal.

Edit:
I just installed the Microsoft fonts via "sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer". This bounces all over http://downloads.sourceforge.net and takes a REALLY LONG TIME to run. Afterwards you do get:
  • Comic Sans MS
    Courier New
    Andale Mono
    Arial
    Georgia
    Impact
    Times New Roman
    Trebuchet
    Verdana
    Webdings
    ('Arial Black' missing)

All done, no errors.
mv: cannot stat 'ariblk.ttf': No such file or directory
One or more fonts could not be extracted.
The fonts are NOT installed.
Please run 'dpkg-reconfigure ttf-mscorefonts-installer' to perform the installation again
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/update-notifier/package-data-downloader", line 295, in process_download_requests
   os.remove(f)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/update-notifier/package-data-downloads/partial/arialb32.exe'
Setting up ttf-mscorefonts-installer (3.7ubuntu6) ...
Processing triggers for fontconfig (2.13.1-2ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ...
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Was a Stupid post so I edited it out of existence!
Last edited by JTemple on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

JTemple wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:54 am Once I have used the password to log in I would like PC to accept I am the same administrator that logged in and not ask again unless I shut down and boot up again. Finally, it keeps reverting to local files when I am trying to transfer docs from an external drive into home folders. I am forced to drag files to the desk top to open them in desktop and then I can drag to the appropriate home folder and delete the redundant desktop item . It is a very inefficient way of working with files!
I would LOVE! to go password free!
For the lock screen issue and it asking for you password you just need to configure your Screensaver and Power settings. In Screensaver disable locking the computer when the screensaver starts, and locking the computer when it goes to sleep.

Try dual pane view in the File manager for moving your files around.

Not requiring password to authenticate elevated privileges?

For sudo -https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootS ... t_For_sudo

For pkexec this single copy paste command should do it.

sudo tee /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/nopassword.pkla <<'EOB'
[No password prompt]
Identity=unix-group:sudo
Action=*
ResultActive=yes
EOB
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

@smuphos
Yup, I figured that out, finally. BUT Thank you for posting that. It might save others some time! :D
Over all, I like the password security where making system changes is concerned. I just found the constant log in tedious. This solution is perfect!
It is amazing what one can figure out and change on LM! Best of all, if one really makes a mess, a drive wipe and reinstall makes it all better. (For people who do back ups religiously.) It's not quite intuitive for me yet, but I'm a newbie. However, my confidence has grown enough to move my best and newest PC over to LM. I was holding that PC to Windows until I was really familiar with LM. I am ready to go all in now!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

JTemple wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:38 pm It's not quite intuitive for me yet, but I'm a newbie. However, my confidence has grown enough to move my best and newest PC over to LM. I was holding that PC to Windows until I was really familiar with LM. I am ready to go all in now!
Congrats. That is really cool. Mint works well on my older machines but on my best computer it is pure joy to use after configuring it the way I want it. For a long time I kept Windows in a dual-boot. I kept thinking I should have a copy of Windows in case I needed to use something that ran only on Windows (and I had all that paid software there). But one day it occurred to me that I just NEVER used it anymore. So I just got rid of Windows. It felt so good to be free of it and have the disk space freed up too. But I certainly understand why many would want to keep a copy of Windows on a machine "just in case" but for me it was just useless baggage.
desQEDo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desQEDo »

I have used LM since version 4 Daryna I believe it was, maybe 3 Celena, and have preferred LM since. :D
My current rig: MB: Asus PRIME Z370-A; CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz × 12; GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2; RAM: 32 GiB; NMVe: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB. I live in Japan and have a fast internet connection.
I recently made a fresh install of LM20 64 Cinnamon and liked it a lot. Nevertheless, upgrade has often been an issue and also here did not finalize and so I repeated and then waited a couple of days and tried again – no dice. Headers and various other items refused to upgrade including the NVIDIA driver which required a dependency that also would not install.
This situation I have also experienced with LMDE4 which would also not upgrade much to my chagrin as I loved that distro – low maintenance!
I recently installed Ubuntu 20.04 – shame on me. But update/upgrade finalized incl. the NVIDIA driver 440 during installation. Then I tried to download the Cinnamon desktop – again some parts would not upgrade, so no Cinnamon!
I have experienced this situation with LM update/upgrade difficulties for a number of versions, not just the latest one. Sometimes I can get the distro to update satisfactorily but upgrade mostly not.
I know a detailed report of what does not upgrade is preferable, but these problems have a longish history & are still present. I therefore simply must assume, as updates seem fine but the error messages for upgrades in the majority of cases refer to time outs, that the servers are either overloaded or simply too slow. Hopefully it’s that simple!
I have tried the default and also a number of local servers with no improvement and yes, I have tried sudo apt-get update -o Acquire::http::No-Cache=True
Maybe I’m continuously doing something wrong so any further suggestions to fix this situation would be more than welcome. I just hope the current virus hasn’t created a Linux Mint/Ubuntu handshake problem through distancing! :oops:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I have upgraded successful y from version 17 to 18, 19 and 20. Only the last upgrade broke and I spent around 10 hours fixing it. Otherwise all upgrade were smooth including the point upgrades like 19.1 etc.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
linux_noob123

Post by linux_noob123 »

It was a failure in my case. Now my hard drive isn't mounting and it cannot find the root file. I don't understand why is it not mounting but that's the only major problem I had while upgrading to mint 20.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”