Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Ossian13
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Ossian13 »

Hi,

just installed linux mint 20, and every time i get to enter my password two times, i dont know why the OS is prompting me twice, i looked over the internet but could not find anyting useful. Output of dpkg iss following

Code: Select all

dpkg --list lightdm* *greeter* | grep "^ii"
ii  lightdm                              1.30.0-0ubuntu3.1 amd64        Display Manager
ii  lightdm-settings                     1.4.2             all          LightDM configuration tool
ii  slick-greeter                        1.4.1+ulyana      amd64        Slick-looking LightDM greeter
So there is no other greeter. Idk what else to do. Any ideas? Or a link to a similar problem would be helpful as i could not find any :(.

Regards,
Ossian

User avatar
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 am
Location: Brit

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Dark Owl »

Ossian13 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:42 pm
Any ideas?
Sorry, but you need to post an appropriate query in a help section of the forum. This is a poll thread in the chat section, not the help section.
Currently: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64-bit 4.6.6, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20β, LM18.2

Ossian13
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Ossian13 »

Dark Owl wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:44 pm
Ossian13 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:42 pm
Any ideas?
Sorry, but you need to post an appropriate query in a help section of the forum. This is a poll thread in the chat section, not the help section.
But its related to the main topic.. i'll do as you say anyway. tks.

User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11409
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Moem »

Ossian13 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 pm
its related to the main topic..
First of all:
- A new question deserves a new topic. That's a rule we have here. So yes, it's related, but that's not a good reason to post your question on it. Thank you for starting a new topic.
Secondly:
- A topic in the chat area is not the best spot to get support anyway. Many members don't look there.
Finally:
- Your new topic is now here, because the chat area was still not the best spot to get support, even in a new topic.

You could do worse* than to read How to get help. There's a reason it's posted in red at the top of every page outside the Chat area.

*For example, by not reading it. That would definitely be worse.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

fadingfool
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:29 am

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by fadingfool »

I went to do a fresh install of 20 to (hopefully) solve my cinnamon crashing bug I had with 19.3 (after 4.13 kernel upgrade) - not GPU hardware problem as same thing occurred with intel onboard as with the R7 240 GPU. Normally I just make a USB stick using Universal USB installer but this produced a stick that got as far as Grub but then failed with a file not found. Rather than mess around I just created another USB stick with Yumi and the installation went smoothly.
Unfortunately the crashing bug is still there so managed to install Mate before cinnamon crashed again and switch desktop environments. All is now fine and whilst not as pretty as it was before seems to be working well (though this was late last night so haven't got everything up and running how I like it).

User avatar
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3063
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Portreve »

My only issues with LM 20 is it still hasn't deposited several million dollars in my bank account, nor has it cured my male pattern baldness. So, I'm really pissed of with the developers for those obvious and glaring bugs.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

User avatar
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8455
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Flemur »

I did a clean install of Mint 20 Xfce and almost everything worked fine - updates, install wine, wifi, etc. The one glitch was thunar would be running at startup, and exo-open was funky (I changed the launchers to not use it).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7900
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by deepakdeshp »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm
My only issues with LM 20 is it still hasn't deposited several million dollars in my bank account, nor has it cured my male pattern baldness. So, I'm really pissed of with the developers for those obvious and glaring bugs.
Really nice one, on the same note I am unhappy because LM 20 doesn't do the dishes ,wipe and sweep the floor.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

User avatar
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Barbados99 »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm
Portreve wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm
My only issues with LM 20 is it still hasn't deposited several million dollars in my bank account, nor has it cured my male pattern baldness. So, I'm really pissed of with the developers for those obvious and glaring bugs.
Really nice one, on the same note I am unhappy because LM 20 doesn't do the dishes ,wipe and sweep the floor.
I'm glad I'm not the only one upset. There are some potholes in the street by my house. Clem should have fixed 'em by now :-)
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile

Knister77
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:59 am

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Knister77 »

Good day,
Since Mint 20, I can't use the settings any more. Notification is :
Execution of python failed to execute child process: No such file or directory
Updated on 2019-12-26 12:31:27

Thanks for your work and help .

User avatar
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 am
Location: Brit

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Dark Owl »

Knister77 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 am
Thanks for your work and help .
If it's help you're looking for, you need to open a thread in an appropriate area of the forum.
Moem wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:38 pm
Ossian13 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 pm
its related to the main topic..
First of all:
- A new question deserves a new topic. That's a rule we have here. So yes, it's related, but that's not a good reason to post your question on it. Thank you for starting a new topic.
Secondly:
- A topic in the chat area is not the best spot to get support anyway. Many members don't look there.
Finally:
- Your new topic is now here, because the chat area was still not the best spot to get support, even in a new topic.

You could do worse* than to read How to get help. There's a reason it's posted in red at the top of every page outside the Chat area.

*For example, by not reading it. That would definitely be worse.
Currently: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64-bit 4.6.6, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20β, LM18.2

Crazy Horse
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Crazy Horse »

I set up a brand new PC as dual boot - Linux 20 Cinnamon and Windows 10. This is part of my ongoing process to wean myself off Microsoft and Google products.

Hardware:
Intel i7-10700k CPU
MSI MPG Gaming Carbon WiFi motherboard
2 1TB Intel 665p M.2 nVMe solid state drives - 1 each for Windows 10 and Mint
6TB Seagate hard drive to be shared as data drive by Windows 10 and Mint

Installed Windows 10 first on 1 nVMe drive.
Installed Mint 20 Cinnamon on the other nVMe drive. Partitioned 100GB for root some for swap space and the rest for user.

Install went flawlessly, except I couldn't get the grub to work properly. When I rebooted the machine it would go directly into Windows unless I held down the F11 key every time.

I discovered that the efibootmgr had the order of linux and windows 10 reversed (0000 being windows and 0003 being Mint). I fixed it by the following command:

$ sudo efibootmgr -o 0003,0000

Once that was done, reboots now directly into the grub menu where I can choose between Mint (default) and Windows 10.

Just loaded TexStudio and slowly beginning to load key applications as needed.

User avatar
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by lewtwo »

I have done three installs of:
Release Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 64-bit (based on based on Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal Fossa")
MATE 1.24.0
on Oracle Virtualbox with very few problems or difficulties encountered.

I use a file server based on Linux Mint 19.x with Samba file shares. I was pleasantly surprised to find I only needed to instal samba (sudo apt-get install samba) to access those shares. However I can also confirm that Nautilus-Share does NOT work on the new images. I will acknowledge that I did not bother trying to configure samba or expend any other effort to troubleshoot the problem other than immediate removal.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”