Rainbows. Rainbows? Rainbows!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Rainbows. Rainbows? Rainbows!

Post by Portreve »

So, I have recently discovered that this benighted message board replaces the word rainbows with the word rainbows. Now, I'm not trying to suggest that certain words, like rainbows for example, mightn't be a bit harsh for this forum, but nevertheless, using the plural of the word for that famous and beautiful aerial refractory event has certainly left me scratching my... head.

Consider, for example, the quandary one might find oneself in. Another LMF user might have no idea if I had seen and was talking about a rainbow platoon, or if I had instead let out an expletive. “Hey, John, did you just curse, or were you really talking about light being prismatically bent?" "No, Alex, I was talking about rainbows."

Surely you can see what I mean about the inherent confusion!

So, instead, I propose that the word rainbows (and not the word rainbows) instead be replaced by the phrase "under the sheets". For example:

"My computer is really under the sheets after I did that kernel upgrade."

as opposed to

“My computer is really rainbows after I did that kernel upgrade.

See the difference?

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Rainbows. Rainbows? Rainbows!

Post by all41 »

we could also discuss snowflakes in the same (or opposite) context.
Cheers to all
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah - - there is certain "words" that the phpBB system will smack down,
& we aren't sure of what is actually in that list, though.
:?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Many years ago I signed up at a website with the user name pachinko which the forum software converted to pa***o and that became my user name for the duration.

Dafuq?!
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Lert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lert »

GS3 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 am Many years ago I signed up at a website with the user name pachinko which the forum software converted to pa***o and that became my user name for the duration.

Dafuq?!
:lol: 46 years ago I spent half the night playing Pachinko at Nikko with a young Japanese chap. So funny. Sorry, off topic.. :roll:
You may ask why the French eat snails.. It's because they don't like fast food..
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Pierre wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:55 am Yeah - - there is certain "words" that the phpBB system will smack down,
& we aren't sure of what is actually in that list, though.
:?
Testing Testing,

I can only find 2 that get replaced. Any word that includes those terms also gets replaced.
I was very surprised that See You Next Tuesday gets through unscathed. :mrgreen:
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Howdy folks. We strive for this board to be a welcoming place to all. To that effect some words commonly used for swearing at others or being abusive towards others are censored, as per forum rule viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314#i2. In that context we're satisfied the replacement words serve their purpose.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

So a rainbow is a physical effect caused by the sun shining through water droplets. Is it offensive? It is a technical term and you get one, singular, and I see, before posting in this message it is singular.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Rainbows is what the word censor replaces certain swear words with.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:27 am Howdy folks. We strive for this board to be a welcoming place to all. To that effect some words commonly used for swearing at others or being abusive towards others are censored, as per forum rule viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314#i2. In that context we're satisfied the replacement words serve their purpose.
Yeah, I don't think anybody is complaining. Just having having fun with the rainbowing rainbows. :)

I can understand some could be offended to read about how installing the latest version of LM totally rainbowed my computer. :)
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Only once I have experienced double rainbows (in real life while walking outside). Double rainbows are quite rare and they are exactly what it says it is, two rainbows above each other. Simply beautiful to look at! This personal experience is of no merit to this post, but I wanted to mention it anyway...

Until Xenopeek explained the use of the word "rainbows" on this forum, I didnt dare post a reaction, because English is not my native language and I did not understand at all, what Portreve was on about, with his various rainbow references... :D

Cant swear words simply be deleted on this forum, instead of being replaced with "rainbows" ? When I hear a beep sound on television I know a swear word has been spoken out a loud. That particular beep sound only draws attention to the swear word which is forbidden. But when a swear word is simply deleted on television, by a simple silence, then I dont get focused / reminded that a taboo word has been uttered..

Double rainbows:

https://graceintorah.files.wordpress.co ... ainbow.jpg
Last edited by carum carvi on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:07 am Rainbows is what the word censor replaces certain swear words with.
Very cleverly :D In russian language curse words most often replaced by dots.For example ...
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Vladimir00 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 am
xenopeek wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:07 am Rainbows is what the word censor replaces certain swear words with.
Very cleverly :D In russian language curse words most often replaced by dots.For example ...
Where I'm from, people just call out my name.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 am
Roskomnadzor (Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media) explains how to correctly replace obscene words in In russian language :D
https://twitter.com/kolezev/status/1141 ... 2205701%2F
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

Vladimir00 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:09 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 am

Roskomnadzor (Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media) explains how to correctly replace obscene words in In russian language :D
https://twitter.com/kolezev/status/1141 ... 2205701%2F
All this applies only to the written Russian language
Mhoxie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mhoxie »

Oh, thank god. For a second there I thought I was a character in a Philip K. Dick novel.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Pierre wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:55 am we aren't sure of what is actually in that list
One way to find out would be to create a "test post" and PREVIEW ONLY, not actually submit it. ;)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

BG405 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:31 pm
Pierre wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:55 am we aren't sure of what is actually in that list
One way to find out would be to create a "test post" and PREVIEW ONLY, not actually submit it. ;)
So what if you submit it? You are afraid the system might forget to convert it to rainbows and daisies? ;)
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

GS3 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:55 pm So what if you submit it?
I wouldn't want to take the chance of falling foul of the Forum rules. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I wouldn't have posted that either .. partially obfuscating swear-words is also against Forum rules ...

Return to “Open Chat”