What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Chat about just about anything else
Philomath_tux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Post by Philomath_tux »

absque fenestris wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 pm
Philomath_tux wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 pm
Google because:
  • In my experience it gives the best (Most accurate) results for my search topic.
  • I don't have data on this, but I would bet that they have the most indexed information of the public internet for advanced "google dorks" searching.
  • I also use google news so my recommended articles are very well tuned at this point based on my search history.
Now for more privacy, I would recommend duckduckgo in my experience.
The Google marketing team is sure to appreciate your contribution. Unfortunately this is the impasse - it works too well... :mrgreen:
For sure, I've succumbed to the google overlords. :lol: (At least for the regular daily searching.)
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

Philomath_tux wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 pm
For sure, I've succumbed to the google overlords. :lol: (At least for the regular daily searching.)
See it like you: DuckDuck as the default, I always end up with Goo - unfortunately, due to political correctness, the output by the top dog is meanwhile pretty bad ...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

When i use chromium or opera I usually use google. When i use tor I usually search through startpage or duckduckgo.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Usualy startpage https, sometimes duckduckgo, it's been some time since I used google as a search engine even though I use Chrome.
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Much of the time I use Google.
Sometimes I fetch with Dogpile. Little different replies at times.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

lexon wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 am
Sometimes I fetch with Dogpile.
I've not used that for years! Still any good? Thought it was heading downhill fast at the time, which is why I switched to DDG as that was really starting to improve back then.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

lexon wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 am
...Sometimes I fetch with Dogpile...
"I don't care who you are, that there was funny!" (Apologies to Larry the Cable Guy.)

(Uhhh, I hope you intentionally made that funny.)
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Never too old to try something new (or old) and Dogpile is a metasearch engine. Clean interface, but with less options than my current etools.ch metasearch engine. DuckDuckGo has got excellent integration in LinuxMint and has a more user friendly video search section. What I especially like about DuckDuckGo integration is that I can select any text inside Firefox and with one right click can let DuckDuckGo do a search. Wonderful.
Tramp 116
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tramp 116 »

Currently MetaGer
I've use Firefox from the beginning. Used Navigator before that. But once I found out that the Mozilla Foundation was working with Goggle, And DDG was working with both, (DDG uses Google search results.) I quit using DDG and have moved to MetaGer. The Germans are headed in the right direction on web security and privacy. Quite frankly, I've become rather suspicious of Mozilla/Firefox lately. Given a choice, I prefer to have nothing to do with anything involving Chromium. Not just Chrome. I'm also having some question about NordVPN too.

That said, I'm curious. With all the brain power around the world involved with Linux, why has no one come up with a Linux only browser and search engine? Or at least a browser or search engine that doesn't use any coding from Google or Microsoft?

I'll go put my aluminum foil hat back on and listen.
"Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"
Google/Alphabet & Amazon are Evil empires.
And Chrome is Google.
Don't submit to Evil.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

But once I found out that the Mozilla Foundation was working with Goggle, And DDG was working with both, (DDG uses Google search results.) I quit using DDG
You really need to do some deeper fact checking before spreading FUD like this...DAMIEN
DuckDuckGo works in broadly the same way as any other search engine, Google included. It combines data from hundreds of sources including Wolfram Alpha, Wikipedia and Bing, with its own web crawler, to surface the most relevant results. Google does exactly the same, albeit on a somewhat larger scale. The key difference: DuckDuckGo does not store IP addresses or user information.
I use Startpage myself but rest assured that DDG is NOT in bed with Google or any of them and the same with Startpage as well.

EDIT
the Mozilla Foundation was working with Goggle
ONLY in the respect that Google pays Mozilla Foundation to make Google search its default search engine...This is just one of many ways to help generate income to keep them in business so you can have a "free" browser...They have to pay their people and keep the lights running somehow...You will notice that under search engines section, that you are free to choose any others you desire to use OTHER than Googles.

I personally do not like Mozillas Firefox but i have no problem defending them against FUD.
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"

Return to “Open chat”