Any issues with Skype on Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ricbritain

Any issues with Skype on Mint?

Post by Ricbritain »

After a spell of time with Xandros and then Ubuntu I switched back to XP for a short time. After quickly becoming annoyed with that I have opted to try Mint. So far I am very happy with it. One of my issues with Ubuntu was that Skype did not function on my ASUS eeePC. It did however function fine with Xandros. I am not within a good internet connection at the moment to download anything but wonder if Skype is likely to work without problems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
terrorblader

Re: Any issues with Skype on Mint?

Post by terrorblader »

Works fine for me :)
jesica

Post by jesica »

my mic is faulty
Last edited by jesica on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ricbritain

Post by Ricbritain »

heartattack09 wrote:I am having an issue when i first sign in and do a test call, it comes up with a message that says Problem with Audio Playback, how do i fix this? Thanks.
That's what I get too. I had the same problem when I was using Ubuntu 9.04.

Any ideas anyone?
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

heartattack09 wrote:I am having an issue when i first sign in and do a test call, it comes up with a message that says Problem with Audio Playback, how do i fix this? Thanks.

http://funwithlinux.wordpress.com/2009/ ... buntu-904/
Ricbritain

Post by Ricbritain »

I have made improvements. I can now make the test call and hear the audio well. The problem is that my voice is not recorded and when I tried an actual call I was not heard either. I have tried various other combinations of settings but still failed. So near but so far :D
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

First go to your Volume Control in Mint (unmute the microphone) and make sure that you can actually hear yourself in Mint without Skype. All my sound settings are now "Pulse Audio Server (local)" in Skype. Until yesterday I also had an issue with my webcam on Skype - it didn't work (I saw a black screen, although the webcam did work in camorama for example).

For me the solution was to install the latest version of Skype directly from their webpage. Try to uninstall your Skype and get a packgage from their webpage (version 2.1). This magically solved all my problems.

For Mint Gloria choose one of:
Ubuntu 8.10+ 32-bit
Ubuntu 8.10+ 64-bit

depending on which architecture you have
jesica

Post by jesica »

nope, not mine, it is a skype issue not mint, my mic is on and it works and my webcam also
kei84

Post by kei84 »

Try installing Skype-static or Skype-oss-static instead of Skype instance.
They work better.

You can also try installing skype.exe using Crossover.
jesica

Post by jesica »

nope still nothing :(
rhY

Post by rhY »

Regular Skype out of Mint Install works perfect for me. The beta gets no audio from any source. I had to revert.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Really? Well it seems that guys from Skype did a really crappy job. So many problems with Skype on Linux. And probably no one knows about any open-source clinet which can connect to the skype network?

Return to “Software & Applications”