Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred

Re: Mint Debian

Post by Fred »

gnudude wrote:
I wonder if mint debian will be any leaner/meaner?
Well... that will be up to the developers. But for even a novice user it really makes no difference. The program complement can be reduced or expanded easy enough. As far as the RAM memory foot print is concerned, that really depends on the desktop and what services, graphics options, and preloads you allow to run on boot.

Fred
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

Fred wrote: As far as the RAM memory foot print is concerned, that really depends on the desktop and what services, graphics options, and preloads you allow to run on boot.
So, I wonder if Mint debian will be any leaner/meaner? :wink:
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

toolz wrote:I use the best Debian derivative there is. It's very lean and mean.
(snatches the bait before anyone else)

and that would be.....????
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

oh...never tried that one....

I heard that Refracta will boot live to a kde3 desktop in under 64mb (according to ps_mem.py). It is debian based as well so I thought maybe debian based just meant everything was a bit leaner and meaner and thought maybe mint would follow with a lean/mean debian version.

..also heard that the 'developer' of refracta is a rather mean grouchy smart*ss not to mention he is rather loony as well...he plans to 'steal' the mint installer and start using it instead of the debian installer...
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

gnudude wrote:oh...never tried that one....

I heard that Refracta will boot live to a kde3 desktop in under 64mb (according to ps_mem.py). It is debian based as well so I thought maybe debian based just meant everything was a bit leaner and meaner and thought maybe mint would follow with a lean/mean debian version.

..also heard that the 'developer' of refracta is a rather mean grouchy smart*ss not to mention he is rather loony as well...he plans to 'steal' the mint installer and start using it instead of the debian installer...
What on earth are you going on about???? :roll:
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

nothing really...I was just wondering about the mint debian version.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I just saw this - consider what you write....
And as long as any Mint branding is removed or the installer is completely unchanged it's perfectly OK
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

well....to tell a little secret....I was talking about myself.. :lol:
Husse

Post by Husse »

gnudude wrote:well....to tell a little secret....I was talking about myself.. :lol:
lol
I did not see your avatar :)
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Linux Mint based on Debian /testing branch - Gnome Edition

To Be Continued...

Part 2 is coming...when?

The same project has already been made for KDE - Pure OS 2 beta 2 KDE 4.2.4 Live CD Install
The system supports French and English idioms. Kde 4.3 not in the Debian/testing branch yet.
The installer screenshot is very similar to that Clem has posted here in this trhead.
The guys there don't have the precious Mint's tools. :) I just gave the distro a try running the Live CD - Very Good.

Hope Clem can conclude Mint Debian Gnome Edition and set it (the edition) for one year release cycle . :?:
It would be great. :wink:

Best wishes
Roberto
Fred

Post by Fred »

Rob Brill,

Greetings sir.

KDE 4.3 is in sid. It went in about 3 days after it was released. :-)

It is a big improvement over 4.2 too.

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is still an experiment - if Clem or someone else ever gets the time ......
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Fred wrote:Rob Brill,

Greetings sir.

KDE 4.3 is in sid. It went in about 3 days after it was released. :-)

It is a big improvement over 4.2 too.

Fred
---------

Fred, The Gentleman. :)

Thanks for your tip.

Regards
Roberto :wink:
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Gumbotron wrote:so mint debian is goin to be gnome?

and if its not going to be lean/mean what will be the advantage of usin it over the main mint edition?

--------------------

Hi,

It can be any particular choice and add to the users. Release cycle for instance is very insteresting.(MintDebian CE) :?:

I think It does not mean users will stop running the Mint Gnome Main Edition (6 month release cycle).

More choices, perhaps more accessions. :wink:
I for one, would use the two editions. - here Gnome x64

Regards
Roberto
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Gumbotron wrote:Dont know if this is a good ting to hear to you guys but i personally will use Mint Debian edition if i am able to choose between gnome or kde. Or atleast be ble to install kde and uninstall gnome and all of its dependencies.
Yeah, it would be nice to have a choice of desktop environments at the time of installation...
graeme

Post by graeme »

And as long as any Mint branding is removed or the installer is completely unchanged it's perfectly OK
What installer do you use?

I cannot remember what it looked like from my last install, but I had always assumed it was Ubiquity, or based on it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ubiquity in all other releases - but not in Mint Debian I think - it won't work for some reason
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The installer will be mint-debian-installer, it's a new installer written from scratch: http://github.com/linuxmint/mint-debian-installer

Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks for the link! I was wondering how things were going with the installer. I bookmarked the link! I am looking forward to Mint Debian and am hoping it will make for a more configurable system than the Ubuntu base provides. A working Debian installer will open more doors for us.
graeme

Post by graeme »

That is going to be used by a lot of other people......

I would really love to see a Debian Mint, especially if it is based on stable (I like solid!)

Return to “LMDE Archive”