Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Jamesr
Level 1
Level 1

RESOLVED: Disabling a defective touchscreen in a Dell inspiron 7548

Post by Jamesr »

Hello.

I have a Dell inspiron 7548 with a defective touchscreen. It's a 64bit system running Caja v1.24.0. The touch function of the screen became defective sometime before installing LM, had it disabled in windows... What happens, the cursor starts applying continuous "touch" inputs all over the screen and executing any button, link etc that it just happens to be over. It can be stopped by applying a little physical pressure on the lower left corner of the screen. Its definitely a damaged connection between the video card and monitor. Repairing the problem has been unsuccessful as well...
My question is, I would like to disabled the touchscreen as I did window it was a windows machine.

I have found the command 'xinput disable "ID" and have ran a few other commands trying to find the touch hardware ID, but identifying the hardware is a bit beyond what I'm familiar with. That said, I was hoping someone could briefly explain how to locate and identify the hardware?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. James.
Last edited by Jamesr on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roblm
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Disabling a defective touchscreen in a Dell inspiron 7548

Post by roblm »

Jamesr wrote: I have found the command 'xinput disable "ID" and have ran a few other commands trying to find the touch hardware ID, but identifying the hardware is a bit beyond what I'm familiar with.
That will work but instead of using the device ID, use the device name in the xinput command, because the ID can change. For example: xinput disable "ELAN0732:00 04F3:2538 Touchscreen"

What is the output of using the command xinput in the Terminal?

Another method is to edit the 40-libinput.conf file. Use this command to open it:
xed admin:///usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf

Find this section:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "libinput touchscreen catchall"
   MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
   MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
   Driver "libinput"
EndSection
Change MatchIsTouchscreen "on" to MatchIsTouchscreen "off".
Jamesr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Disabling a defective touchscreen in a Dell inspiron 7548

Post by Jamesr »

roblm wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:55 pm
Jamesr wrote: I have found the command 'xinput disable "ID" and have ran a few other commands trying to find the touch hardware ID, but identifying the hardware is a bit beyond what I'm familiar with.
That will work but instead of using the device ID, use the device name in the xinput command, because the ID can change. For example: xinput disable "ELAN0732:00 04F3:2538 Touchscreen"

What is the output of using the command xinput in the Terminal?

Another method is to edit the 40-libinput.conf file. Use this command to open it:
xed admin:///usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf

Find this section:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "libinput touchscreen catchall"
   MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
   MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
   Driver "libinput"
EndSection
Change MatchIsTouchscreen "on" to MatchIsTouchscreen "off".
Brother. You just made my day!! I used the 2nd option you gave "xed admin:///usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf" and changed the "MatchIsTouchscreen" to OFF. It's running beautifully now. Thank you so much my friend!!! :D

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”