yaourt in mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Joejc
Level 2
Level 2

yaourt in mint

Post by Joejc »

I'm currently using arch because of the aur (arch user repository). I was wondering how hard it would be to accses the aur from mint using yaourt. yaourt is a giant bash script so i figure all i'd need to do is convert the calls to pacman in to apt but i dont think i know bash or apt well enough to do it all by myself so if anyone wants to help thats be greatly appreciated.

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: yaourt in mint

Post by lagagnon »

I am really unsure why you would want to access the Arch user repository from Mint - Arch uses their own packages which probably would not work well in Mint. Or am I missing something?

Joejc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joejc »

the aur is HUGE and i could use alien if they are arch packages but i think most of the stuff gets compiled then pacman makes it a arch package then installs it

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I agree with lagagnon:

Arch used rpm codes and LinuxMint/Ubuntu/Debian uses deb files

I don't know if the conversion is possible?
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Joejc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joejc »

if they are rpms then im sure alien ( http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/ ) will work

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

Arch doesn't use RPM's. I suppose that's not completely right, sometimes packages from the AUR can be .deb or .rpm, but they are unpackaged and built up. Most packages in AUR are built from source AFAIK. The Arch Build System (ABS) uses pkgbuild's for it's installations, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS ... _Explained. It would not be compatible with Mint the way it is.

I don't see the point or use.

Return to “Other topics”