Back to Linux after 10 years of macos, happy to start again with Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Olikiran

Back to Linux after 10 years of macos, happy to start again with Mint

Post by Olikiran »

Hello,
I am french living in france, so sorry for my english, sometime it could not be so accurate.
I've used around 5 years linux on the mandrake/mandriva distro.
Then i had two daughters, build an eco-house, i could not spend time to configure and play, and reinstall my system... :(
I am a network IT engineer but i am more and more far from the tech now.
Just to say, that i have some old basic-to-medium knowledge in linux and network.
My hardware is a macbookair mid 2011 with elcapitan 10.11 macos.
Apple has stop to propose/adapt the new macos version on my hardware. :( Regarding macos I must admit that 9 years without any OS upgrade, only Application package upgrades was really comfortable for me. I had to change the battery recently and upgrade the SSD disk from 64GB to 256GB after 1 year of usage.
in addition to that, my trust regarding GAFAM is decreasing more and more...
So I've read about the linux distro again and I've choosen Mint. I had a quick usb-live test with elementaryOS. the look is nice, good mac integration but some app were not installed or guaranty to work. A warning for firefox, decided me to not go further. My wife has installed for my daughters the ubuntu 16.04 LTS but I do not like the look. So, it's seems that Mint is a good compromise for me between stability, new features, popularity and nice look'n'feel. I do not know much about the rolling releases, the pros'n'cos, etc... but I would be happy to be able to not reinstall from scratch in some years and reconfigure all the app and features. I had many issue with distro upgrade in my old linux times.
I do not know if my mac hardware will be fully compatible with the mint 20/cinnamon version. I hope so, i like it more and more after a week of config and small utilisation. Thank you very much for the work done regarding this distro, and linux engagement it is amazing !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Back to Linux after 10 years of macos, happy to start again with Mint

Post by deck_luck »

/
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum. I hope you enjoy your Linux Mint adventure.
\

On some of the older hardware without a GPU with a 3D accelerator, the Cinnamon desktop environment might overwhelm the hardware. Fortunately, the Linux Mint Team also provides a lighter MATE and XFCE desktop environment versions.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Olikiran,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forum, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Olikiran wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:05 am My wife has installed for my daughters the ubuntu 16.04 LTS but I do not like the look.
Well, this is my Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon desktop.

I like the look and feel of macOS. I don't like they way Apple forces their point of view on everyone. You can do anything you want in Mint and there are many themes available. Honestly, Mint has made computing fun again.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Welcome to the forum.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Escaping that "walled garden" experience is definitely a good thing. The other day my mate invited me to explore his Mac system & I wasn't all that impressed .. zsh and all that & none of the familiar commands I tried were recognized. He had to add those.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

BG405 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 am The other day my mate invited me to explore his Mac system & I wasn't all that impressed .. zsh and all that & none of the familiar commands I tried were recognized.
Good old bash is there.:wink: I know some people will hate me for saying this, but my favorite desktop environment is the macOS. I just will not pay the ridiculous Apple tax.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
Olikiran

Post by Olikiran »

Thanks a lot for your welcome messages. I improve day by day my Mint experience. I like it ;-) !!!

i like the desktop of CaptainKirksChair with the macos look ;-)
How to do it ?

Thanks
LinBSD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinBSD »

Thanks for an interesting post. I started using Linux back in 1999 when it was very rough around the edges. Redhat, Mandrake (very good at the time), Xandros, SuSE,Ubuntu (game changer) and then Linux Mint. Bliss. I have several Macs. My ¨vintaged¨ MacBook Air Late 2010 runs Linux Mint obscenely well. So well, I uninstalled MacOS High Sierra. I run Mint on a MacBook Pro Early 2011 from a USB flash drive. The same on a MacBook Pro Mid-2015 15 inch. Great performance on all. Since Mac OS X Lion, Apple have made it more and more challenging to dual-boot. ReFit (boot manager) which used to run reliably now complains a lot. Virtualisation utilities are not the same as running an OS natively. Earlier this year, I returned to my Linux roots after being blinded by the Cupertino light. Eight years ago I dabbled in FreeBSD for a more hardened UNiX experience. I do the same in that I run GhostBSD and NomadBSD from external storage where most things work. in Linux Mint...just about everything works. But technical problems keep us sharp, we overreach ourselves. But sometimes it’s nice not to get bogged down in the terminal, recompiling a kernel...on a hot afternoon.

So long. :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”