How to Make a Mint File (without external repositories)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

How to Make a Mint File (without external repositories)

Post by clem »

Context

In this tutorial, we'll make a mint file for an application which doesn't require us to set any other repository. We'll see how to make mint files for application in non-cassandra repositories in another tutorial.

Scope

In this tutorial we'll use Firefox as an example and we'll create a mint file for it.

Introduction

To create the mint file we need to get the following information:
- name of the application
- version number of the application
- description of the application
- name of the package corresponding to the application
- icon for the application

Gather information for the mint file with aptitude

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude show firefox
This gives us most of the information we need:
Package: firefox
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.0.0.3+1-0ubuntu2
Priority: optional
Section: web
Maintainer: Alexander Sack <asac@ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 29.3M
Depends: fontconfig, psmisc, debianutils (>= 1.16), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.13.1), libc6 (>= 2.5-0ubuntu1), libcairo2 (>= 1.4.2),
libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.2), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.9), libgtk2.0-0 (>=
2.10.3), libhunspell-1.1-0, libjpeg62, libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.16.1), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.2),
libx11-6, libxft2 (> 2.1.1), libxinerama1, libxrender1, libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), libnspr4 (>=
2:1.firefox1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.5-0ubuntu6.06.1), libnss3 (>= 2:1.firefox1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.5-0ubuntu6.06.1)
Suggests: firefox-gnome-support (= 2.0.0.3+1-0ubuntu2), latex-xft-fonts, firefox-libthai
Conflicts: mozilla-firefox (< 1.5.dfsg-1)
Replaces: mozilla-firefox
Provides: www-browser
Description: lightweight web browser based on Mozilla
Firefox is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to Galeon, K-Meleon and Camino, but written using the XUL
user interface language and designed to be lightweight and cross-platform.

This browser was previously known as Firebird and Phoenix.
The name is "Firefox", the version number is "2.0.0.3", the description is "Lightweight web browser based on Mozilla".

With this in mind we can start create our mint file...

Prepare the mint file with mint-make

We'll use mint-make for that. Open a terminal and type:

mint-make
Then, when prompted enter the name, the version number and the description of the application. When asked for repository, answer NO by pressing "n".

Once finished mint-make should have created a folder called "firefox_2.0.0.3"

Go in the directory and have a look at its content:

cd firefox_2.0.0.3
ls
This directory only misses one thing: an icon... to get the icon, we need to install the application.

sudo apt-get install firefox
Once installed, look in /usr/share/pixmaps for a firefox.png... applications usually install their icon in /usr/share/pixmaps as a png or an xpm... some applications install their icon somewhere else so you might have to look for it a bit. Once you found it copy it to the folder:

(from the firefox_2.0.0.3 directory):

sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png icon
Check with Gimp that the icon is 48x48 and resize it if needed.

Compress the mint folder into a mint file with mint-compress

Your firefox_2.0.0.3 folder is ready and can now be compressed as a mint file.

cd ..
mint-compress firefox_2.0.0.3

This creates a file called firefox_2.0.0.3.mint

Test the mint file

You double click the mint file or launch it with "mintInstall" from the command line. Make sure mintInstall shows the icon properly, the name, the version number and the description.

Remove firefox with apt-get (to properly test the mint file you need to install the app with it.. so you need to remove it first):

sudo apt-get remove firefox
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
then restart mintInstall on that mint file and press install to see if it installs firefox correctly.

Decompress a mint file

if you need to decompress a mint file, simply use:

mint-decompress thefile.mint
When the application name and the package name are not the same

Before you compress the folder into a mint file, go in "steps" and edit "1"... change the package name in there. Make sure to remove all temporary files created by the editor (for instance "1~").

When the application requires more than one package to be installed

In "steps" copy "1" to "2" and edit "2" with the second package name... and so on.

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

If you need to make a mint file for something which is in another repository, when asked for "need repository" in mint-make, press "y". This will affect the "steps" and "1" will be setting that repository. You'll need to edit that file to give it the "deb" line that you usually put in a sources.list.

also, if the repository needs a key (GPG) you need to add a line to "1" with "KEY the key address".

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

If you want to submit your mint files for them to go in the software portal please give us the following info:

- a URL to your mint file.
- the size taken by the application after the mint file has installed it.

Send us your mint files and we'll be glad to add them to the Software portal.

Clem
thomasmoens
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomasmoens »

I just made a mint-file.
Do I have to mail the location or post it here?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Send me a PM with the location of the file and I'll put it in the portal.

Clem
AdrianO

Re: How to Make a Mint File (without external repositories)

Post by AdrianO »

Good tutorial, but it seems that I have a little problem following it. I intended first to suggest PlayOnLinux for the Software Portal, but that I've decided that I'll make the .mint file myself. Here is my problem: I don't know exactly the repo line for this package and when I gave the command to automatically add the repo to sources.list it worked, but it doesn't show the line in sources.list. However I can install the program through Synaptic, but that is not usefull to me because I want to find the repo file not to install it.
kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

Is there a way that you can set a .mint file to download the .deb package from a website that isn't an apt repository?

I'd like to make a .mint file for the eee-control app which allows EeePC users to use the keyboard shortcuts and hotkeys for controlling hardware. Its just the developer has deb packages on his website, or the source code but no repository.

Ta
william583

Post by william583 »

AdrianO wrote:Good tutorial, but it seems that I have a little problem following it. I intended first to suggest PlayOnLinux for the Software Portal, but that I've decided that I'll make the .mint file myself. Here is my problem: I don't know exactly the repo line for this package and when I gave the command to automatically add the repo to sources.list it worked, but it doesn't show the line in sources.list. However I can install the program through Synaptic, but that is not usefull to me because I want to find the repo file not to install it.

I am sorry that my initial response was less than satisfying. The bottom line is that today you can just use Mint to get organized to prepare for taxes.

I imagine that before next year, we'll have much tighter integration to TurboTax. I recommend that you click the "I like this idea" on the topic below where someone has requested that we consider creating a tax season tool for easy accounting:
razerstam1

Post by razerstam1 »

Wow, thanks, now I'm finally connected to my wireless and can get online
with Mint!!!!! Now just a few more bugs to work out and maybe I can phase out MS altogether!!!! :lol:
samsameer

Post by samsameer »

In this tutorial, we'll make a mint file for an application which doesn't require us to set any other repository. We'll see how to make mint files for application in non-cassandra repositories in another tutorial.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Doesnt look too difficult.....I might try it just to see if I can.

Any chance of adding some pentest tools? I am trying to teach myself web design and I want to test my own websites so I have a rough idea of what others can do and how to protect myself.
rachel12

Post by rachel12 »

Hi. That's really great. Thanks for this informative knowledge. This is really a work which must be appreciated. I am able to make a mint file after reading it. Thanks again. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”