USB Bluetooth V5? not recognized

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeronimo17
Level 3
Level 3

USB Bluetooth V5? not recognized

Post by Jeronimo17 »

Hi,

I just got this bluetooth USB that I thought was compatible with linux, but I can't get it in the manual says: Linux (Beta Driver Only)

On the CD he brings:
/*****************************************************************************
* Copyright(c) 2017, RealTeK Technology Inc. All Right Reserved.
* Realtek Bluetooth 8761B Driver package Release Note
*****************************************************************************/

Code: Select all

[ 7654.984117] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using uhci_hcd
[ 7655.160272] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8771
[ 7655.160279] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 7655.160283] usb 2-1: Product: Bluetooth Radio
[ 7655.160287] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 7655.160291] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 00xxxx
[ 7655.176012] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: examining hci_ver=0a hci_rev=000b lmp_ver=0a lmp_subver=8761
[ 7655.176051] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761a_config.bin
[ 7655.178154] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for rtl_bt/rtl8761a_config.bin failed with error -2
[ 7655.178161] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761a_fw.bin
[ 7655.180308] Bluetooth: hci0: rom_version status=0 version=1
[ 7655.180329] Bluetooth: hci0: cfg_sz 0, total size 20204
[ 7657.312083] Bluetooth: hci0: command 0xfc20 tx timeout
[ 7665.376131] Bluetooth: hci0: download fw command failed (-110)
lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:8771 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

~ $ hciconfig -a
hci0:	Type: Primary  Bus: USB
	BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00  ACL MTU: 0:0  SCO MTU: 0:0
	DOWN 
	RX bytes:581 acl:0 sco:0 events:82 errors:0
	TX bytes:20534 acl:0 sco:0 commands:83 errors:0
	Features: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
	Packet type: DM1 DH1 HV1 
	Link policy: 
	Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT 

Is it possible to make it work?

Thank you

Edit: It seems that there is talk of a patch here https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11483367/ how can this be applied? Or it will soon appear in kernel 4.15.0-99-generic...?
H748f4380252a4878aa3eb4b576830ebeK.jpg
H748f4380252a4878aa3eb4b576830ebeK.jpg (95.94 KiB) Viewed 31564 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JSkier

Re: USB Bluetooth V5? not recognized

Post by JSkier »

It would likely get backported to LTS at some point.

I have the same dongle, currently compiling the kernel with the patch to see if it will work now (I'm using ArchLinux, building 5.7 kernel). If I understand correctly, the firmware may also need to get updated too at some point for this to fully work?

The dongle I purchased did not claim to support Linux, only Windows and OS X. I anticipated support for Linux would come with time though.

Will update with status on patched 5.7 kernel. At that point, I could try backporting to Mint LTS if it works okay.
JSkier

Post by JSkier »

It looks like the patch is in 5.8... Firmware isn't in yet though (seems to be some licensing questions with that).

I did not get a CD with mine; so no way to play around with drivers. :(
FadySGhatas

Post by FadySGhatas »

JSkier wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:17 pm It looks like the patch is in 5.8... Firmware isn't in yet though (seems to be some licensing questions with that).

You can download the drivers here (From MPOW download page): https://mpow.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com ... +Linux.tgz

I installed the drivers on ArchLinux and on Mint, got the exact same result, the usb is being identified as rtl8761a instead of rtl8761bu.
With the rtl8761a drivers, I get:

[  672.236618] Bluetooth: hci1: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761a_fw.bin
[  672.236723] Bluetooth: hci1: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761a_config.bin
[  672.236755] Bluetooth: hci1: RTL: cfg_sz 44, total sz 14808
[  674.465738] Bluetooth: hci1: command 0xfc20 tx timeout
[  682.360539] Bluetooth: hci1: RTL: download fw command failed (-110)
I've tried to replace the files manually but got:

[ 1157.610477] Bluetooth: hci1: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761a_fw.bin
[ 1157.610549] Bluetooth: hci1: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761a_config.bin
[ 1157.610570] Bluetooth: hci1: RTL: unknown project id 14
FadySGhatas

Post by FadySGhatas »

FadySGhatas wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 am
JSkier wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:17 pm It looks like the patch is in 5.8... Firmware isn't in yet though (seems to be some licensing questions with that).

You can download the drivers here (From MPOW download page): https://mpow.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com ... +Linux.tgz

I installed the drivers on ArchLinux and on Mint, got the exact same result, the usb is being identified as rtl8761a instead of rtl8761bu.

Quick update!

Everything works on my end now!

On Linux Mint, I had to get rid of all other custom bluetooth drivers so that the new driver can take over.
On Archlinux, in short, for a ko to be hooked, it must be xz'd (check module installation here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co ... nel_module), so I manually ran this:

xz rtk_btusb.ko
cp  rtk_btusb.ko /usr/lib/modules/5.7.11-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/
*Note: You might need to replace 5.7.11 on your end or just use

uname -r
So, in brief, install the latest MPOW drivers and it should start working as soon as it's installed.
JSkier

Post by JSkier »

Very nice, thanks! I was able to get the drivers working with Linux 5.8 after unloading some bluetooth modules, rtk_btusb worked. Earbuds work great!

I found the Techkey (the brand of mine) Windows drivers, but they don't provide Linux drivers.

EDIT: Silly, I don't need the kernel driver, they provide the firmware. So, in Linux 5.8, with the firmware, it works just fine (should be able to patch the kernel below 5.8 for proper device recognition; not sure if this will be backported?). I'll see about letting the devs know about this, last I could find was someone was interested in sending the Windows drivers to the firmware group. Still no license info in the tgz file.
FadySGhatas

Post by FadySGhatas »

@Jeronimo17 Do you still have any problems?
Neeyan4

Post by Neeyan4 »

FadySGhatas wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:29 am
FadySGhatas wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 am

Quick update!

Everything works on my end now!

On Linux Mint, I had to get rid of all other custom bluetooth drivers so that the new driver can take over.
On Archlinux, in short, for a ko to be hooked, it must be xz'd (check module installation here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co ... nel_module), so I manually ran this:

xz rtk_btusb.ko
cp  rtk_btusb.ko /usr/lib/modules/5.7.11-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/
*Note: You might need to replace 5.7.11 on your end or just use

uname -r
So, in brief, install the latest MPOW drivers and it should start working as soon as it's installed.
Hi FadySGhatas, I have the exact same problem as you had with my MPOW Bluetooth 5.0 adapter. I'm using Linux Mint 20 Xfce and I was wondering how you got rid of all other custom bluetooth drivers for the new one to take over? When I plugged in the adapter initially it would be detected but stuck on "searching for devices". After I tried installing the latest MPOW drivers, now the adapter isn't even recognized anymore.
rumpel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumpel »

Neeyan4 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 pm
Hi FadySGhatas, I have the exact same problem as you had with my MPOW Bluetooth 5.0 adapter. I'm using Linux Mint 20 Xfce and I was wondering how you got rid of all other custom bluetooth drivers for the new one to take over? When I plugged in the adapter initially it would be detected but stuck on "searching for devices". After I tried installing the latest MPOW drivers, now the adapter isn't even recognized anymore.
Did you get it to work?

I'm going to get a MPOW Bluetooth 5.0 adapter, too and I'm wondering how to get it to work exactly. Do I still need to install bluez and that sort of stuff or is the driver from their website all that's needed? Or would it be able to work with bluez etc. just fine and the provided driver isn't really needed?

Would be great if the other posters could chime in, but I guess they disappeared for good...
JSkier

Post by JSkier »

Hello,

First you need kernel 5.8, the patch backported to the Mint kernel so it recognizes the device properly, or patch the kernel on Mint to get it to be recognized as the correct device. Then you need to copy the firmware files to the bluetooth firmware folder, as Linux firmware package does not include them yet. After this, a reboot and it should work.

You should see this in dmesg if it is recognized properly:

[43449.450411] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin
[43449.450428] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761b_config.bin
The other route is using the driver, which seems to work in 5.8 (and should in below kernel versions, however not sure how that plays out with the device recognition bug). It does dump a lot of debug messages to the kernel log (could probably be disabled?). I didn't stick with this too long, as the firmware route seems to be a cleaner solution, especially with kernel upgrades. I am using Arch Linux by the way, so I'm not super familiar with how to do the above stuff on Mint.

After which, use bluez, blueman or blueberry to get bluetooth devices configured.

I have been in contact with the mailing list for linux-firmware. It is unfortunate that Mint Forums are closed / require registration to view, but I have let them know about this thread and the interest in getting this bluetooth 5 chipset working. The sentiment seems to be a lot of interest in doing so, but the licensing is absent, so that makes the timeline murky.

I also reached out to Realtek about licensing, they have yet to respond weeks later.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get it working.
rumpel wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:32 am
Did you get it to work?

I'm going to get a MPOW Bluetooth 5.0 adapter, too and I'm wondering how to get it to work exactly. Do I still need to install bluez and that sort of stuff or is the driver from their website all that's needed? Or would it be able to work with bluez etc. just fine and the provided driver isn't really needed?

Would be great if the other posters could chime in, but I guess they disappeared for good...
Neeyan4

Post by Neeyan4 »

Did you get it to work?

Not yet, unfortunately. I've tried reaching out to MPOW as well but customer service is taking some time. I'm using the default Blueberry, and I tried Blueman, but neither works. The stuff on their website includes both drivers and firmware, so at least the latter might be more useful.
JSkier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:53 am Hello,

First you need kernel 5.8, the patch backported to the Mint kernel so it recognizes the device properly, or patch the kernel on Mint to get it to be recognized as the correct device. Then you need to copy the firmware files to the bluetooth firmware folder, as Linux firmware package does not include them yet. After this, a reboot and it should work.

The other route is using the driver, which seems to work in 5.8 (and should in below kernel versions, however not sure how that plays out with the device recognition bug). It does dump a lot of debug messages to the kernel log (could probably be disabled?). I didn't stick with this too long, as the firmware route seems to be a cleaner solution, especially with kernel upgrades. I am using Arch Linux by the way, so I'm not super familiar with how to do the above stuff on Mint.

After which, use bluez, blueman or blueberry to get bluetooth devices configured.

I have been in contact with the mailing list for linux-firmware. It is unfortunate that Mint Forums are closed / require registration to view, but I have let them know about this thread and the interest in getting this bluetooth 5 chipset working. The sentiment seems to be a lot of interest in doing so, but the licensing is absent, so that makes the timeline murky.

I also reached out to Realtek about licensing, they have yet to respond weeks later.

Did you get it to work?

Thank JSkier! Will consider installing kernel 5.8, but I guess I'm just a bit hesitant since 5.4 is the latest official kernel package for Mint. But I really want to make the adapter work, seems like a waste if it won't. I really appreciate that you've reached out to let concerned parties know about this concern, kudos!
rumpel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumpel »

JSkier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:53 am Hello,

Oh, quick answer! Thanks. I forgot to mention I'm using Arch, too. I just found the thread through Google. 5.8 should hit stable soon enough, I guess.
To reiterate, all I'd need is Kernel 5.8 and then copy over the file from the driver .tgz into the above mentioned bluetooth folder? After that, install the bluez stuff and it should be working?
Neeyan4

Post by Neeyan4 »

UPDATE:
I installed kernel 5.8, and copied the rtl8761b_fw & rtl8761b_config files in the bluetooth firmware folder of Linux. Still doesn't work:

$ sudo dmesg|grep -i blue
[    2.183282] usb 1-1.3: Product: Bluetooth Radio
[    5.260989] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[    5.261009] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    5.261012] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    5.261014] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    5.261016] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    5.335840] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: examining hci_ver=0a hci_rev=000b lmp_ver=0a lmp_subver=8761
[    5.336834] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: rom_version status=0 version=1
[    5.336836] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin
[    5.337277] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin failed with error -2
[    5.337280] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin not found
[    5.358187] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[    5.358188] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[    5.358192] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[  505.806290] usb 1-1.3: Product: Bluetooth Radio
[  506.411117] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: examining hci_ver=0a hci_rev=000b lmp_ver=0a lmp_subver=8761
[  506.412140] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: rom_version status=0 version=1
[  506.412141] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin
[  506.412153] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin failed with error -2
[  506.412154] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin not found
JSkier, I was wondering what did you mean by the patch backported to the mint kernel or patch the kernel on mint?
JSkier

Post by JSkier »

Hi,

It appears you need to put the fw and config files in the directory in a specific folder, as it's detecting the right device, but can't find the firmware.
Try placing both rtl8761b_config.bin and rtl8761b_fw.bin here:
/usr/lib/firmware/rtl_bt/

After which, check if it comes up, you may just need to unplug / plug it back in. Worst case, reboot.

Regarding the kernel, I'm not sure when or if the device mismatch fix will get backported to LTS. You could also patch LTS or other / older kernels using the patch referenced here: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11483367/

Arch has an amazing wiki for Bluetooth once you get the dongle working: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth. I personally use bluez and blueman, but there are other options for the gui frontend as well. Just depends on your preference.
Neeyan4

Post by Neeyan4 »

I really appreciate the quick revert JSkier. Unfortunately, I still get the same error message. I'm sure that I've placed both files in the correct folder, so I don't know why it can's still find the firmware. I originally placed the files in /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/. And then following your advice, I made a directory /firmware/rtl_bt/ in /usr/lib. But still won't work sadly even after replugging the adapter or rebooting.
JSkier

Post by JSkier »

You do have linux-firmware installed for Arch, correct? Also, linux-5.8.1 is in the testing repo, which is what I have been using. It doesn't seem like you're getting an improper device issue, so I'm thinking that is not the problem.

This is what my lsmod looks like for the dongle using the firmware:

bluetooth             720896  33 btrtl,btintel,btbcm,bnep,btusb,rfcomm
Are you able to please start a thread over to the Arch Forums? We're deviating away from Mint at this point quite a bit. Please post a link here too, I can follow it, and also would be helpful for any Mint users who would like to jump into the testing weeds with us in the future.
Neeyan4

Post by Neeyan4 »

JSkier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am You do have linux-firmware installed for Arch, correct? Also, linux-5.8.1 is in the testing repo, which is what I have been using. It doesn't seem like you're getting an improper device issue, so I'm thinking that is not the problem.

This is what my lsmod looks like for the dongle using the firmware:

bluetooth             720896  33 btrtl,btintel,btbcm,bnep,btusb,rfcomm
Are you able to please start a thread over to the Arch Forums? We're deviating away from Mint at this point quite a bit. Please post a link here too, I can follow it, and also would be helpful for any Mint users who would like to jump into the testing weeds with us in the future.
I'm using Mint 20 actually. Sorry, I think there might have been miscommunication along the way. I started my own thread here in the forums as well (viewtopic.php?f=49&t=327646) but there's been more activity on this thread.
JSkier

Post by JSkier »

Oh, gotcha, my bad, I mixed you up with rumpel.

What kernel version are you using, that's interesting. Looks like it may have been back ported already for the kernel Mint is using.

I'm not sure where the firmware files go in Mint? May be worth it to try to compile the MPow driver and load it instead.
Neeyan4

Post by Neeyan4 »

JSkier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm Oh, gotcha, my bad, I mixed you up with rumpel.

What kernel version are you using, that's interesting. Looks like it may have been back ported already for the kernel Mint is using.

I'm not sure where the firmware files go in Mint? May be worth it to try to compile the MPow driver and load it instead.
No problem! I'm using the latest official supported kernel, 5.4.0-42-generic. I tried to do your fixes using 5.8 and 5.8.1 but to no avail. I believe firmware files go to /lib/firmware, but still, the error message comes up. When I do install the MPOW driver, it seems to worsen the situation because the Bluetooth USB adapter becomes unrecognizable.
rumpel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumpel »

Did you add .bin to the end of the files? I received mine today and I forgot to put the .bin the first time around as the files in the archive don't have that extension. I paired it with my phone (after installing pulseaudio-bluetooth, too) and I could successfully send a file from my PC to my phone as well as use it with my bluetooth headphones. Keep in mind I'm on Arch, so maybe it is something specific to Linux Mint/Debian if it doesn't work for you even with the newest 5.8 kernel.

Return to “Hardware Support”