Please bring back KDE

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
sobuj53
Level 1
Level 1

Please bring back KDE

Post by sobuj53 »

Hello,
I'm very new to Linux environment. But I've already tried few OS, e.g. Manjaro, Ubuntu, KDE neon, deepin, Zorin OS and of course Linux mint. I understand every distro is special and they have their own aim and goal for users. I think I found my goals are closely resembled with Linux mint for various reasons like, performance and reliability, friendly community :D , ease of use, customizations, except for modern look or visually appealing. Undoubtedly KDE has the most visually appealing customization for it's users. Linux mint is good but would be great if it had kDE desktop flavor. Along with the current one. I'm still running mint in my virtual machine, and believe me I miss it very much. I understand mint developer has their reason for dropping KDE but I know many users still long for Linux mint KDE edition. My sincere request on behalf of those Linux mint fan who likes kde is please reconsider the decision and release Linux mint KDE. Thank you so much for reading this.
First deserve then desire.
msseufert
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Please bring back KDE

Post by msseufert »

KDE is still availble in the repository so you can always install it. I only know how to install from terminal.

Install from terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --install-recommends plasma-desktop konsole dolphin
plasma-desktop is a meta package to install plasma 5 (KDE)
konsole is the KDE terminal
dolphin is the KDE file manager

The caveats:
This installs the vanilla upstream version, from Ubuntu, without Linux Mint theming and only installs a bare minimum environment.
Intel i7 6-core 5820k overclocked to 4.4Ghz; 64GB ram
Linux Mint 20 (cinnamon)
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

msseufert wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:18 pm
The caveats:
This installs the vanilla upstream version, from Ubuntu, without Linux Mint theming and only installs a bare minimum environment.
If you don't want the bare minimum, then

apt install kubuntu-desktop
is probably the more convenient set.

update: ignore that suggestion, due to a bug in mintsources' packaging the above will not install on Mint

But regarding OP's suggestion, it's not going to happen.
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
msseufert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msseufert »

Hi gm10:

I purged:

sudo apt purge plasma-desktop konsole dolphin
then did

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
Which resulted in:

scott@mint:~$ sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kubuntu-desktop : Depends: software-properties-kde but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Installing software-properties-kde first seems to send me down a dependency rabbit hole.

scott@mint:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Release:	19.2
Codename:	tina
Tracing the package kubuntu-desktop leads back to Ubuntus repos, so at least it's not an issue with Mint.

scott@mint:~$ apt list | grep -i kubuntu-desktop
kubuntu-desktop/bionic 1.370 amd64
Intel i7 6-core 5820k overclocked to 4.4Ghz; 64GB ram
Linux Mint 20 (cinnamon)
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

msseufert wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 am
Installing software-properties-kde first seems to send me down a dependency rabbit hole.
Oh, my bad. mintsources' packaging used to handle that situation but they broke that with https://github.com/linuxmint/mintsource ... 239ddbed47 after the Mint KDE release was discontinued, creating this impossible situation. I had overlooked that they had done that, I'll have to fix that in my fork, too.

So that was bad advice, you cannot install that meta package on Mint, sorry. I guess you can still look at the list of packages it wants to bring in though and install those you want manually.
michaelhm
Level 1
Level 1

you should get KDE back

Post by michaelhm »

there might be 1000 reasons for having killed KDE from the newest official versions but that is a bad idea (I think)

when you want to get more users you need KDE because with XFCE and the other Gnome brothers you don't go far

and you could make it easily light and faster as standard desktop, just kick the thousand fonts out which nobody ever will use, let the akonadi stuff out nobody uses a local email client or pim anymore, let compositor and all transition effects disabled and provide a minimum KDE which is better than a minimum XFCE and then just put together a windows like looking UI and things will come

you could think reverse, not that the user is free and could set it up as it were windows, make it look like it and the user is free to change it like he wants
Last edited by xenopeek on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same topic; merged here
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Why the KDE edition was discontinued is detailed here: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

or maybe go here to try to install KDE =https://techviewleo.com/how-to-install- ... inux-mint/
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: you should get KDE back

Post by MartyMint »

michaelhm wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:00 pm

when you want to get more users you need KDE because with XFCE and the other Gnome brothers you don't go far

I don't think KDE is as popular as you might believe (or wish) it to be.
michaelhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michaelhm »

well. its not what I think about the popularity of KDE, sincerely I don't care but it is good and looks good and the LM people are asking to help making it more populare and that is a hard work when LM20 XFCE looks like windows 3.1 ...
michaelhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michaelhm »

xenopeek wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 pm
Why the KDE edition was discontinued is detailed here: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418
as I wrote "thousand reasons" because I've read it and do not necessarily disagree and only said why it still should be continued
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

michaelhm wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:00 pm
nobody uses a local email client
This is where you lost me.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

michaelhm wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 am
and that is a hard work when LM20 XFCE looks like windows 3.1 ...
Have you heard of these things called themes? They're an actual thing that changes the look of your desktop.

Here's a thread of just Xfce users screenshots: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13649

And some Mint specific posts:

viewtopic.php?p=1808447#p1808447
viewtopic.php?p=1794084#p1794084
viewtopic.php?p=1743138#p1743138
viewtopic.php?p=1793518#p1793518
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

KDE 3 was best KDE.
michaelhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michaelhm »

MrEen wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Have you heard of these things called themes? They're an actual thing that changes the look of your desktop.

Here's a thread of just Xfce users screenshots: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13649

And some Mint specific posts:

viewtopic.php?p=1808447#p1808447
viewtopic.php?p=1794084#p1794084
viewtopic.php?p=1743138#p1743138
viewtopic.php?p=1793518#p1793518
well, let me think :) :)
you didn't get the point ...
when you buy a car or something you buy that what your looking at right, same here, you can not publish an ugly face and tell the guy oh ok, but you can try another one from the net ... that simply doesn't work
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Hey folks. I removed some comments here going off-topic and talking about other projects. Use the Chat About Linux forum for that please. This forum is about suggestions & ideas for Linux Mint. Stay on topic.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”