[Abandoned] Apparent Mint 20 nvidia - libseccomp conflict?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Esko-tumpelo

[Abandoned] Apparent Mint 20 nvidia - libseccomp conflict?

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

Having installed Mint 20 on an old 2500K + GTX 680 desktop to try it out, all was fine, for a while.

With the libseccomp 2.4.3-1ubuntu3.20.04.3 update, however, things changed, and regardless of whether I try to use the 390, 435, or 440 (recommended) nvidia driver, I lose hardware acceleration and the capability to revert to the Nouveau driver by using the Driver Manager.

By using Timeshift to undo the libseccomp update and by blacklisting it, I was able to restore nvidia driver and Driver Manager functionality. To be sure, I eventually did a clean reinstall, and had to resort to the same solution. A couple of times afterwards I have tested applying the update, but the result has always been the same, so I am resigned to using this system in this fashion, with the libseccomp update blacklisted.

I have used Mint since LM 17, but I am still a very unsophisticated user, a Windows refugee so to say. But I would appreciate any insights on what might be going on (perhaps nvidia drivers and libseccomp are both ok and the issue is elsewhere), or on if there is anything I might do to remedy the situation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Esko-tumpelo

Re: Apparent Mint 20 nvidia - libseccomp conflict?

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

Maybe I could add some speculation to the above. Somebody who is more knowledgeable might be able to say whether or not this speculation is nonsensical.

Based on googling libseccomp, it is a system security component, a kind of gateway that filters what system calls other applications are allowed to make. My suspicion is that there is some component of the nvidia driver ecosystem on LM 20 that the latest version of libseccomp restricts from working as intended. If this is so, there might not be a simple tweak to fix the issue.

If someone wants to test this out on their own system, I guess one would have to revert back to a snapshot taken before 13 July (using 'apt-get download libseccomp2' shows that to be the date stamp on the .deb package), and then install all the other updates apart from the one for libseccomp (unless there is some other way to uninstall a specific system component update). I have no idea how likely this is to mess up your system, though.

Also, as libseccomp is a security component, deliberately not having it updated may not be the optimal solution.
Esko-tumpelo

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

Just in case it might look like my issue is an isolated one, I would like to draw attention to this post elsewhere on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=326187, dated 25 July and titled "libseccomp update breaks nvidia driver", and now well on its way to vanishing into the depths of the Internet.

The poster has exactly the same symptoms that I have and seems to use the same workaround. The poster also has a desktop.

It would tentatively seem that this issue manifests readily on desktops and gets easily overlooked as much of the attention with LM 20 is on laptops. But perhaps some quirkiness on laptops might also be related to it, who can tell?

Anyway, I have been trying to draw attention to this issue to the extent that I think is reasonable, so that it might eventually be investigated and resolved. But I can live with it, thanks to the workaround of blacklisting the libseccomp update, at least until LM 20.1 comes along, which I may have to skip if it comes with the newer libseccomp while this issue still remains open. (Besides, apart from this test setup, I tend to strictly use .3 versions.)

For now, I think I will be abandoning this post, as I am running out of things to say and do not wish to become a nuisance.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

There are a lot of people who use Linux Mint on desktops. Can you please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.

I have noticed some Nvidia-kernel interaction issues when people with LM19.3 upgrade to a newer kernel, but not yet heard of issues with LM20 (which is not to say they do not exist).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Esko-tumpelo

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

No problem, can do:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 wm: muffin 4.6.3 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8Z77-V LX v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 07/21/2014 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-2500K bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 26538 
  Speed: 1608 MHz min/max: 1600/3300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1608 2: 1608 
  3: 1609 4: 1608 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 680] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia 
  v: 440.100 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1180 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio 
  vendor: ASUSTeK P8Z77-V LX driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  chip ID: 8086:1e20 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0e0a 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-42-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: TP-LINK TG-3468 driver: r8169 v: kernel port: c000 bus ID: 08:00.0 
  chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: enp8s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 6.64 TiB used: 77.03 GiB (1.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 PRO 1TB size: 953.87 GiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 2B6Q scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 PRO 1TB size: 953.87 GiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 2B6Q scheme: MBR 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD2002FAEX-007BA0 
  size: 1.82 TiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 1D05 scheme: MBR 
  ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Western Digital model: WD2002FAEX-007BA0 
  size: 1.82 TiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 1D05 scheme: MBR 
  ID-5: /dev/sde vendor: Seagate model: ST31000528AS size: 931.51 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> rev: CC46 scheme: MBR 
  ID-6: /dev/sdf vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: DB6Q scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 211.62 GiB used: 77.03 GiB (36.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdf1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 34 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 37% 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/linuxmint.com/packages ulyana main upstream import backport
  2: deb http://mirrors.nic.funet.fi/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://mirrors.nic.funet.fi/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://mirrors.nic.funet.fi/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/steam.list 
  1: deb [arch=amd64,i386] https://repo.steampowered.com/steam/ stable steam
  2: deb-src [arch=amd64,i386] https://repo.steampowered.com/steam/ stable steam
Info:
  Processes: 199 Uptime: 2h 26m Memory: 15.58 GiB used: 1.25 GiB (8.0%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38  
Still, I don't really expect it to be very helpful.

This is essentially a clean installation + what is suggested in "Easy Linux Tips Project, 10 Things to Do First ...", including installing the VLC player. In addition to that I have installed Steam so that I might at least play a game on the Mint installation, which I otherwise use for nothing else than to see how LM 20 fares. I did several really pure clean installations while investigating the issue and triangulating libseccomp as being involved. Due to now having Steam installed, I am hesitant to do any more.

PS. I ran inxi on the system in its properly working state, without the latest libseccomp update installed. It would be a hassle involving Timeshift to first make the system misbehave with the latest libseccomp update and then to restore it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

When I checked the Nvidia site for the latest available linux x64 driver for the GeForce GTX 680, the 304 driver came up. (I make no claims of being perfect, so please check to see what you get.)

If that is correct, it may be that the older driver has "rolled off" the options available for the kernel that comes with LM20. The 5.4 kernel may not recognize your driver and recommend 440 thinking your card is a relatively new one. I don't know what the software is checking, so that is just a guess on my part.

With regards to changing Nvidia drivers in LM20, if you go to this post and scroll to the section in big blue letters - Mint 20 Nvidia Driver Installation Update:, you will see roblm states, In Mint 20, as in previous versions, Driver Manager cannot remove an installed Nvidia driver completely. Also the command apt purge nvidia* will not work as it did in previous versions. Use the command apt remove nvidia-driver-450 (substitute 450 for the correct driver version) and then apt autoremove. Reboot.

I do not know what video driver and what kernel you were using in LM19.3 (presuming you were using LM19.3), but if you recall that information that might be helpful in troubleshooting this. There is an interaction between the kernel and the video driver, so that must always be considered when making changes.
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

Sorry if this might seem off topic but I think it is related to this topic.

I have completely given up on Mint 20 for now, never had so much trouble with a Mint upgrade/clean install and Nvidia.

First I tried the upgrade route with 19.3 to 20, everything went fine until I rebooted and was stuck in 640x480 mode which was bizarre with my 32 inch monitor.

I tried everything to install the Nvidia driver, said I was using it but it wasn't, gave up after days of trying and reinstalled 19.3 and everything was back to normal.

Then I tried the clean install to a new partition, again everything seemed fine until the reboot but it was using the Nouveau (open source) driver.

Once I tried to change to the Nvidia 440 driver, I was back where I was with the Mint 20 upgrade, was stuck in 640x480 mode and when I checked the display settings, it said I was using a Laptop but this is a desktop computer, and I couldn't even get back to the Nouveau driver.

After a couple of days I gave up an will now wait until 20.1 is released and hopefully things will be better.

I just installed Ubuntu 20.4.1 on a new partition (clean install) and everything is fine with Nvidia there.

I use Mint 19.3 most of the time on my Win10 ,Ubuntu/Mint computer but am really disappointed with the new Mint 20 version.
Esko-tumpelo

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

@SMG

Thank you for your kind efforts in this matter.

For now, the card, the driver and the kernel do all seem to be working fine together, just as long as I don't update libseccomp.

One obvious difference between my system and many laptops is that Mint is installed not on sda but on sdf, but my previous experience indicates that Mint should be agnostic in this regard.

As a side note, I have two other Mint installations, one LM 18.3 and another LM 19.3, both on i5-3570K + GTX 960 and using the 440 driver without any issue. I haven't tried Mint on the older i5-2500K + GTX 680 system before, and I only did so to get a test setup for LM 20. (I originally wanted to have several PCs of the last generation to support Win XP, come what may in the future, and I expect to finally update to a more modern system this winter)

Anyway, I created a bookmark to the post that you indicated, and will have a closer look at it. For now, however, I feel that I am up to my ears of this issue, so I will have to defer further testing of different HW/SW combinations to another time, as it is not an urgency.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Esko-tumpelo wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:27 pmAs a side note, I have two other Mint installations, one LM 18.3 and another LM 19.3, both on i5-3570K + GTX 960 and using the 440 driver without any issue.
Keep in mind my comment about kernels. I'm sure the LM18.3 is not using the 5.4 kernel that comes with LM20. Your LM19.3 might or might not depending upon what updates you have done.

The kernel-video driver interaction is going to be key. When you change one, it can affect the system and I think that is what you are seeing. Best of luck when you get back to working on it.
Esko-tumpelo

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

Doing a couple of new clean test installations on a surplus SSD indicated that my nvidia driver issue might be fixed on new installations.

After first installing the full set of current system updates on a test installation and then using the Driver Manager to install the 440 driver, I ended up with an apparently correctly working system.

Unfortunately, in my actual system, the nvidia driver quite obviously had been installed before the relevant system updates, and the system seems to be in a compromised state. I was unable to reproduce this compromised state on a test installation. Trying to install the nvidia driver before the system updates no longer works, and it results in an error message box: "Package dependencies cannot be resolved".

It seems that I will have to once again perform a clean installation of my LM 20 system. Uninstalling the nvidia driver with Driver Manager does not work properly, I do not have a snapshot from before installing the driver, and I feel uncomfortable trying any command line driver purging. However, as my workaround still allows the system to function more or less adequately, I will have to evaluate if and when I want to do that, and I am considering waiting until LM 20.1 comes along.

I suspect that some other users might perhaps be similarly affected by having their nvidia driver installed before the relevant system updates, if my understanding of the situation is indeed correct.
Last edited by Esko-tumpelo on Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

Esko-tumpelo wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:44 am
It seems that I will have to once again perform a clean installation of my LM 20 system. Uninstalling the nvidia driver with Driver Manager does not work properly, I do not have a snapshot from before installing the driver, and I feel uncomfortable trying any command line driver purging. However, as my workaround still allows the system to function more or less adequately, I will have to evaluate if and when I want to do that, and I am considering waiting until LM 20.1 comes along.

I suspect that some other users might perhaps be similarly effected by having their nvidia driver installed before the relevant system updates, if my understanding of the situation is indeed correct.
I did a clean installation ( see my post above ) and didn't have the Nvidia driver installed, so I'm waiting for LM 20.1
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Esko-tumpelo wrote: Trying to install the nvidia driver before the system updates no longer works, and it results in an error message box: "Package dependencies cannot be resolved".
The Driver Manager woes continues. When that happens, use the apt command-line package manager instead: apt install nvidia-driver-440

Esko-tumpelo wrote: Uninstalling the nvidia driver with Driver Manager does not work properly
Because of the buggy operation of Driver Manager that started with Mint 19, it cannot completely remove an installed Nvidia driver. The command-line must also be used. These 3 commands work:
sudo apt-get purge *nvidia*
apt autoremove nvidia-driver-440
apt remove nvidia-driver-440 and apt autoremove

I just duplicated your problem on a test PC. I didn’t see this on previous testing I did with Nvidia driver installations because I am one of the few users who installs very few updates besides Firefox, if everything is working correctly.

If the Nvidia-440 driver was installed first, (and I had to use apt command-line because Driver Manager failed with the same message you saw), and then installed the libseccomp update (actually the package installed is libseccomp2), then there was no problem.
If the libseccomp update was done first and then the Nvidia-440 driver installed, then I got the same no hardware acceleration problem. I opened Synaptic Package Manager and forced the installation of the previous libseccomp2 version, and the problem was fixed.

Looking at the dependencies for the package libeccomp2, the package libc6 needs version 2.4 or greater but the installed version is only 2.31.

libsecommp.png
Esko-tumpelo

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

Thank you very much for your insights and suggestions.
If the Nvidia-440 driver was installed first, (and I had to use apt command-line because Driver Manager failed with the same message you saw), and then installed the libseccomp update (actually the package installed is libseccomp2), then there was no problem.
Curiously enough, my system seems to behave in a different fashion. I have everything installed apart from the libseccomp update, and blacklisting it is my workaround. If I install it, I lose hardware acceleration.

I believe that there have been updates from both Ubuntu and Mint that have something to do with the Nvidia driver installation process, mintdrivers 1.4.7 is a fairly recent one, but I have no idea what their real effect is.

I tried to use the 'apt autoremove nvidia-driver-440' command before reinstalling the driver with the Driver Manager, just to see if all the other updates would allow it to be reinstalled in a different manner that would be more consistent with what happens in a full clean installation, which seems to work. But there was no joy, regardless of whether I install the libseccomp update before or after. It is all very perplexing.

I am strongly beginning to believe that trying to sort this out might not be worth anybody's time.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

In my previous post, I only installed the libseccomp update and no others. I did another test on a new installation, installed the Nvidia driver and installed all the updates and I got no hardware acceleration this time like you did. I suggest that anyone else in this same situation open the Synaptic Package Manager, search for libseccomp2, highlight that package in the search results, click Package > Force Version, select 2.4.3-1ubuntu1 (focal) and click the Apply button to downgrade the package, until there is a fix in Update Manager.

Also, I could not fine any libc6 version 2.4.
Esko-tumpelo

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

Thanks for that info. I was previously unaware of how to backtrack on a system update, and that sounds like a very useful method.

But now this issue has become absolutely ludicrous for me.

A couple of posts ago I said that a new clean installation works fine. Well, that was yesterday.

Today, I thought of trying to get the issue out of my system, both technically and mentally, so decided to bite the bullet and do a new clean installation, but I once again got the no HW acceleration error.

The only difference is that yesterday I used an old Kingston SVP100S2128G SSD, which only supports Sata II, and today I used a Samsung 840 EVO (the one mentioned in the inxi listing posted previously). In both cases I did the installation twice, getting the same result both times. In both cases I used the exact same procedure: base install - update fstab with noatime - reboot - install updates - reboot - install nvidia driver - reboot. And no new updates have become available between then and now.

I just put the old Kingston I used yesterday back into the system and verified that it indeed has a fully updated LM 20 installation with the 440 driver installed, and there is no notification of missing HW acceleration. Perhaps I should continue to use it as my LM 20 test setup.

If the SSD hardware makes a difference, it might then also be because the drive is plugged to a PCIe add-in card providing two SATA 3 slots, which I used because the mobo has otherwise run out of SATA slots. But why would that work in one case and not the other, and why would the difference be this specific?

I think I have truly had enough of this issue for now. I might still try again, once the Moon is in the same phase it was yesterday.
Esko-tumpelo

Post by Esko-tumpelo »

I am now thinking of labeling this topic "abandoned" for several reasons (even if I am not entirely sure how it is supposed to be interpreted, but the term seems to be in use).
- I feel I have to move on, for my own peace of mind.
- The topic seems to have served its purpose of drawing attention to the issue.
- There is unlikely to be any true resolution through forum activity.

Still, until things change, I think that the action kindly adviced by roblm above, of backtracking from the latest libseccomp update, might be a potentially useful mitigation to explore, or perhaps even a wise precaution to take, for anybody who is suffering from issues with their nvidia driver.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”