Gaming on Linux Mint 20

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NadeBoy

Gaming on Linux Mint 20

Post by NadeBoy »

Is it only me who thinks this is the best operating system for gaming right now? If you have Intel/Nvidia computer then this operating system is awesome, we need to gain more windows users onto Linux Mint 20, since this is a very good operating system. :)

A question though, which computer games do you guys play with Linux Mint 20?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gaming on Linux Mint 20

Post by hydrurga »

HI there. Just a quick note that you might want to edit the title of your thread to "Gaming on Linux Mint 20" or similar. That will mean that more people realise what it is about and will hopefully contribute to your discussion.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

I play in Postal 2,Postal 2 Paradise Lost,Eternal Damnation,Mafia 2,Medieval 2 Total War, Rus' 2 Total War and Gothic 3.
In my experience Postal 2,Postal 2 Paradise Lost,Eternal Damnation,Medieval 2 Total War, Rus' 2 Total War and Gothic 3 work great on the Linux Mint.
I only use pirated versions of games for windows on the Linux Mint (I live in a country that is relatively free for internet piracy :D )
NadeBoy

Post by NadeBoy »

Heres my desktop:

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/Bcvbm4h ... _mint2.png

All my games works good, awesome! ;)
Cory
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cory »

Let's not deceive ourselves, Mint is not the best OS for gaming. It is indeed the best Linux distro for gaming perhaps, but let's be real; Windows 10 is still the dominant PC gaming OS. Windows 10 is still the more powerful in terms of compatibility, high detailed graphics, and -most importantly- frames per second.

However, considering how many companies are now porting games to Linux and how supportive Intel and AMD are for Linux drivers, we could see a shift at some point. Linux gaming has been slowly gaining traction these past recent years, we may eventually see Linux finally dominate Windows.

Something else I'd like to bring up is emulation. ePSXe, PCSX2, and Dolphin are the three emulators I play the most and they all run 100% speed and with no problems. I've been following RPCS3 for some time now, and they're making progress every day. The only system I struggle to emulate is the Nintendo 64. Project64 must run via WINE and Mupen64 is a hassle to operate.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Cory wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:58 am Something else I'd like to bring up is emulation. ePSXe, PCSX2, and Dolphin are the three emulators I play the most and they all run 100% speed and with no problems. I've been following RPCS3 for some time now, and they're making progress every day. The only system I struggle to emulate is the Nintendo 64. Project64 must run via WINE and Mupen64 is a hassle to operate.
I'm interested in your experiences with Dolphin. Do you have a real Wii controller (remote and nunchuck) and sensor bar? Or do you use something else?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

I keep Mint on a decent laptop, but I have to keep the gaming relatively light, because 3D starts pushing the PC hardware to its limits

Games I play (all on linux mint):

Steam games
Stardew Valley
Rimworld
Retro City Rampage

Super Nintendo games
mainly Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, and a few random Mario games

And I also play a multi-user dungeon called MUME. You can download the Mudlet client from the repositories! MUME is based on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings world, Middle Earth. You can even meet Gandalf or Frodo, and do quests for them.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Cory
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cory »

murray wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:22 pm I'm interested in your experiences with Dolphin. Do you have a real Wii controller (remote and nunchuck) and sensor bar? Or do you use something else?
I use Dolphin for GameCube emulation, I've actually never played a Wii game on it. The controller I use is Logitech F710.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Cory wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:37 pm I use Dolphin for GameCube emulation, I've actually never played a Wii game on it. The controller I use is Logitech F710.
Ah ok. Many of the Wii games that I'd like to play on Dolphin use the motion controls, so I was wondering how Dolphin handled that.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Cory
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cory »

murray wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:34 pm Ah ok. Many of the Wii games that I'd like to play on Dolphin use the motion controls, so I was wondering how Dolphin handled that.
This seems too easy, but I found this on how to connect the Wii controller to Dolphin --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZPdlzp-P5g
darkrchaos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkrchaos »

Games I've been playing on linux are:

Steam
- Don't Starve Together
- Gal*Gun: Double Peace
- Left 4 Dead 2

Dolphin (Gamecube)
- Lost Kingdoms
- Lost Kingdoms 2
RandomStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RandomStranger »

KPaterson1987 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:39 am That's very pity that many games are not available for Linux. I bought recently the GTA 5 and I couldn't install it.
Rockstar Social Club version?
I think it's best to stick to Steam whenever it's possible. The game is gold rated in ProtonDB.
Also the Rockstar laucher works with Lutris, though I haven't tried running games through that.
For the GoG client I'd say it's fairly reliable with Lutris, but I've only played older games like Quake III Arena and Daggerfall.

So yeah, try the Lutris install script. https://lutris.net/games/grand-theft-auto-v/ Unless you already tried. Then I have no idea.
Eric23
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eric23 »

I have been playing (Via Steam)
Planet Coaster
Cities Skylines
Euro Truck Simulator

All of which seem to run great for the most part.

Planet Coaster works, but I can't get custom music to play. Everything else works and runs smoothly.

Cities Skylines also works. The traffic simulation very occasionally freezes up. The game doesn't crash, I can just save my progress and restart the game.
Though its only happened twice in the last two weeks and the last 4 times I played it didn't happen at all.

Euro Truck simulator works, only trouble I have is with the steering wheel drivers. I can't get Force feedback to work. I haven't tried many drivers for the wheel, only pyLinuxWheel. I hear a lot of people say that the lg4ff driver works, but it needs to be downloaded from git-hub and its not clear what files I need or what to do with them to install it. (I'm a noob)

I have also installed
Half Life2
Portal2
Gary's mod
I think these are supported Linux titles, but I think I have steam set to run everything using Proton, so I don't know if they were working natively or if Proton was running them. They worked fine either way though.

I have GTA V and GTA IV in my steam library, but I haven't tried installing them yet, as I have a feeling they will be tricky to get working because or the social club gubbins. Having read some reviews it seems like a mixed bag for if they will work, so I haven't bothered trying them yet.

If Steam/Proton wasn't a thing, then I'm sure I would have caved in and switched to windows 10 when my windows 7 machine died two weeks ago. I'm so glad I don't have to sell my soul to Microsoft to continue playing my favourite games. It makes my switch to Linux so much nicer.
RealRPG

Post by RealRPG »

Is GOG galaxy out for linux?

if

Is it possible to play GOG games without GOG galaxy?

else

When will it come out? Any idea?
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

GOG Galaxy is not available on Linux.

I think that it works under WINE. There is an installer available for Lutris. But I've never tried it.

There is no indication that GOG Galaxy 2.0 will be made available for Linux. Under GOG's wishlist page, they did add a tag 'in progress' to the original GOG Galaxy for Linux request, but that was years ago and there is no indication any progress has been made. Since then GOG Galaxy 2.0 has been released, and there is a new request for GOG Galaxy 2.0 in the wishlist section and GOG has not added any tag to the request to indicate that it is being worked on.

So the assumption is that GOG has no plans to make Galaxy available for Linux.

GOG has been fairly disappointing recently with their Linux support. There are a number of games that have Linux versions released, but they have never been made available on GOG. I'm not sure if that fall on the developers, or the fault lies with GOG. Either way, GOG does not appear to be enthusuastic about Linux support.

It is possible to play GOG games on Linux without Galaxy. If a native version is available, then you can use that. Or you can try to install Windows games using WINE. It's probably easiest to try and use an installer for games using Lutris.

I think that some features in some games are not available without Galaxy. And you do lose automatic updates that Galaxy provides.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi NadeBoy, and anyone else interested,

Recent articles:

Gaming On Linux To Get Major Improvements, Thanks To Collabora
https://fossbytes.com/linux-gaming-collabora/

Linux gaming is set to get a whole lot better | TechRadar
https://www.techradar.com/news/major-im ... -next-year

Google News - Search
https://news.google.com/search?q=linux% ... id=US%3Aen

==================================================================================
How to Get GOG Galaxy on Linux
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-get-gog ... ux-4689192

Minigalaxy, a new open source simple GOG client for Linux | GamingOnLinux
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/ ... inux.15672

Install GOG Galaxy for Linux using the Snap Store | Snapcraft
https://snapcraft.io/gog-galaxy-wine

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
RealRPG

Post by RealRPG »

ugly wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 pm GOG Galaxy is not available on Linux.

I think that it works under WINE. There is an installer available for Lutris. But I've never tried it.

There is no indication that GOG Galaxy 2.0 will be made available for Linux. Under GOG's wishlist page, they did add a tag 'in progress' to the original GOG Galaxy for Linux request, but that was years ago and there is no indication any progress has been made. Since then GOG Galaxy 2.0 has been released, and there is a new request for GOG Galaxy 2.0 in the wishlist section and GOG has not added any tag to the request to indicate that it is being worked on.

So the assumption is that GOG has no plans to make Galaxy available for Linux.

GOG has been fairly disappointing recently with their Linux support. There are a number of games that have Linux versions released, but they have never been made available on GOG. I'm not sure if that fall on the developers, or the fault lies with GOG. Either way, GOG does not appear to be enthusuastic about Linux support.

It is possible to play GOG games on Linux without Galaxy. If a native version is available, then you can use that. Or you can try to install Windows games using WINE. It's probably easiest to try and use an installer for games using Lutris.

I think that some features in some games are not available without Galaxy. And you do lose automatic updates that Galaxy provides.
There is no reason to buy their games. If they don't provide support to Linux users and only sell old games (where in most case software developer doesn't exist for example: Heroes 3) I can download their games for free using torrents. :lol:
RandomStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RandomStranger »

RealRPG wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:58 am Is GOG galaxy out for linux?

if

Is it possible to play GOG games without GOG galaxy?

else

When will it come out? Any idea?
GoG Galaxy is currently Windows only (or I don't know if they have a MAC OS client).
BUT the client works through Lutris with no issues for me at least.
I don't know if all the games work there. There are some with native Linux ports and I'd expect that older games with pre-configured DOSBox are also a non-issue.

So far I think I've only tried Quake 3 Arena and TES 2: Daggerfall and even the newer one is over 20 years old, but I had no issues with them.
I don't have too many games on GoG. The most recent release I have is probably Hitman: Absolution, but I also have it on Steam and has issues even there according to ProtonDB, but haven't get around to play it. Though there is a feedback there that states the GoG version through Lutris works better.

As for GoG games without Galaxy, it's entirely possible. GoG doesn't force their client on you. You can download the game installer through your browser, install the game and play without client. As for when it will come out, there are forum threads on the GoG forums which promise a Linux client and says they are actively working on it, but it's probably low priority.
teamcpc

Post by teamcpc »

I compile some games to run in Linux Mint but you can do the same just select the game you want to be installed in your system using this script.

You get this (menus on English or Spanish depending of your locale configuration):

Will be more games, emulators and more software in future.
exiledangel420

Post by exiledangel420 »

Ex windows 10 user here just fully converted.
Steam Games:
Elderscrolls:
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
Dungeon Seige 1. 2, 3
Torchlight 1,2, 3
F.E.A.R 1,2,3
Gothic 1,2,3
Sacred Gold 1, 2
Sacred 3
Arcania & Arcania Fall Of Satenif
FFXV
Kingdom of Amalur: Re-Reckoning
Grim Dawn
Need For Most Wanted
Phantom Brave
Diseaga 1
Dragon Age 2
Warhammer 40000 Inquistor
Warhammer 40000 Chaos Bane
Star Ocean Last Hope
Fate
Fate: Undiscovered Realms
Fate The Traitors Soul
Fate: The Cursed King
Elex
Last Epoch
The Witcher 1&2
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Of those games most work perfectly except some of the really old ones and Skyrim has to be tweaked to work right.
But I tried Pop!_Os first before this and the driver graphic and kernel for it were alot older.which is why I switched the games work about the same.
The installation of steam was a little different.
But overall I would give game compatibility to this operating system AA+
Even got some games that wouldn't work windows 10 working on this operating system.

Return to “Gaming”