[SOLVED] Linux Mint 20 takes a lot of time to load

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 20 takes a lot of time to load

Post by AvengerZap »

Is there any way to stop that fsck integrity test from running at startup? I know its something that verifies that my OS is intact and not corrupted.

By the way, I ran the systemd-analyze command before applying the kernel parameter.

So the problem is unclear shutdown/reboot right? Is there any way to fix that?
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

when I edit the grub to make the kernel change permanent, it does not work and takes the same long amount of time. I have also tried just nomodeset, but the same. :cry:
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

Thank you so much I have been searching for my laptop's bios update for years now, finally got it!
Please tell me how to install it via linux, that is for windows 7 only. By the way I have another hardisk with windows 10 installed, will that work?
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

I have 2 hardisk with me one is running windows 10 and the second one has Linux mint installed. I prefer linux mint whenever I can, because it is faster than windows 10 which is really slow like a snail on my laptop, but still if its really necessary like some application only works on windows and does not on wine or something like that happens which is exclusive to windows then only I use that hardisk.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Spectrum75 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:30 am Thank you so much I have been searching for my laptop's bios update for years now, finally got it!
Please tell me how to install it via linux, that is for windows 7 only. By the way I have another hardisk with windows 10 installed, will that work?
You will have to see if the Win10 drive will run it.

I doubt you could do it from Linux, or at least I would be nervous to attempt that using WINE.
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

I used this command to get bios info, sudo dmidecode | less

Code: Select all

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
        Version: R0190Y5
        Release Date: 09/22/2009
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 2048 kB
It seems that my bios version is very old (see the release date)
The latest bios edition is:
R0210Y5
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

zcot wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:46 am
Spectrum75 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:30 am Thank you so much I have been searching for my laptop's bios update for years now, finally got it!
You will have to see if the Win10 drive will run it.

I doubt you could do it from Linux, or at least I would be nervous to attempt that using WINE.
Will try with windows 10, wine seems to be really risky :?
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

The Bios update went fine, without any issue via windows 10 (the bios info now):

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
        Version: R0210Y5
        Release Date: 10/28/2009
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 2048 kB
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

zcot wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 pm You should update the BIOS: https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/supp ... s/Y0005401
No change after the bios update :(
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

Will you be angry for spam?

- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=326506
- viewtopic.php?f=90&t=327195&p=1863590#p1863590
- viewtopic.php?p=1865803#p1865803
- viewtopic.php?f=49&t=327709&p=1874093#p1874093

I gave you to read this, there are some useful commands.
read about these commands on the internet also.
You will be sure what it does and how to use it.
Sometimes bugs also slow down the system, so my tips and that of other users may also be helpful.

Advice:
- Be careful what you remove or disable. If you are not sure what it is or what it does, keep checking, also look for information on the internet.
I deleted a lot because e.g. I knew that I would not use the printer drivers and I do not have a Bluetooth device.
I also had a fresh system so I could always reinstall the system in case something stopped working.

If I do not provide links to external materials, it is only because of a restrictive law in Europe. But the guides are still on the internet and you can always search.

If I have to see anything, you must enter everything again.
Because, for example dmesg log from pastebin disappeared.
You can give output also

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
or

inxi -G
Because I'm not sure which your driver working.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

You have a very old processor, so the first suggestion I would make is to make sure your computer's fan and heat sink are clean. The cooler your system runs, the better the performance. The target temperatures for a system is less than 50C. Yours is 69C, and 87C for the Nvidia card.

I agree with the earlier suggestion that an SSD will help a lot.

The 340 Driver is the one Nvidia recommends for your computer's card. If Xorg is not configured properly, that can cause slow loading of the Nvidia driver. You might want to check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for warnings or error messages. But with that heat, I would not be moving to fast either. :D Your intial inxi -G information looked correct for the driver, but I'm not sure where things stand with the changes you've made.

I also was not able to see the pastebin information, so I can provide no information with regards to it.

One thing I did wonder was whether Virtualbox needs to start at start-up or could it be started later? And do you have one or two instances of it running?
Spectrum75 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:57 am using the dkms status command gives the following output:

nvidia-340, 340.108, 5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64: installed
virtualbox, 6.1.10, 5.4.0-26-generic, x86_64: installed 
virtualbox, 6.1.10, 5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64: installed
I would check to make sure there are no bugs reported for that version of virtualbox. Version 6.1.12 was released in mid-July. Here is the change log.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

1000 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:13 am Will you be angry for spam?

- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=326506
- viewtopic.php?f=90&t=327195&p=1863590#p1863590
- viewtopic.php?p=1865803#p1865803
- viewtopic.php?f=49&t=327709&p=1874093#p1874093

I gave you to read this, there are some useful commands.
read about these commands on the internet also.
You will be sure what it does and how to use it.
Sometimes bugs also slow down the system, so my tips and that of other users may also be helpful.

Advice:
- Be careful what you remove or disable. If you are not sure what it is or what it does, keep checking, also look for information on the internet.
I deleted a lot because e.g. I knew that I would not use the printer drivers and I do not have a Bluetooth device.
I also had a fresh system so I could always reinstall the system in case something stopped working.

If I do not provide links to external materials, it is only because of a restrictive law in Europe. But the guides are still on the internet and you can always search.

If I have to see anything, you must enter everything again.
Because, for example dmesg log from pastebin disappeared.
You can give output also

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
or

inxi -G
Because I'm not sure which your driver working.

Output 1

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce G210M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108
OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 NVIDIA 340.108 340.108
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Output 2:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce G210M] driver: nvidia v: 340.108 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce G210M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108 
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

SMG wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:32 pm You have a very old processor, so the first suggestion I would make is to make sure your computer's fan and heat sink are clean. The cooler your system runs, the better the performance. The target temperatures for a system is less than 50C. Yours is 69C, and 87C for the Nvidia card.

I agree with the earlier suggestion that an SSD will help a lot.

The 340 Driver is the one Nvidia recommends for your computer's card. If Xorg is not configured properly, that can cause slow loading of the Nvidia driver. You might want to check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for warnings or error messages. But with that heat, I would not be moving to fast either. :D Your intial inxi -G information looked correct for the driver, but I'm not sure where things stand with the changes you've made.

I also was not able to see the pastebin information, so I can provide no information with regards to it.

One thing I did wonder was whether Virtualbox needs to start at start-up or could it be started later? And do you have one or two instances of it running?
Spectrum75 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:57 am using the dkms status command gives the following output:

nvidia-340, 340.108, 5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64: installed
virtualbox, 6.1.10, 5.4.0-26-generic, x86_64: installed 
virtualbox, 6.1.10, 5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64: installed
I would check to make sure there are no bugs reported for that version of virtualbox. Version 6.1.12 was released in mid-July. Here is the change log.
Umm, so should I clean up my fan and apply the thermals again?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

For the power handling issue, ACPI messages, you will have to test a variety of parameters. I don't know some clear exact answer here, but instead of using nomodeset, for graphics related, which doesn't help this case, there are other possible combination(s) that can help, with other kernel modules.

To stop the fsck issue the kernel will have to properly handle the ACPI setup to where it reboots/shuts-down correctly and you never have to hold the power button to shut it down. The incomplete shutdown causes the fsck.

Look at this example mentioning the possibilities for finding a possible parameter correction for the kernel related to this hardware:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/127989/ ... t-can-i-do

I would try this one because the dmesg output shows some chatter about irq tables, but a lot of the early acpi messages look fine. I would test acpi=noirq for sure.

This might solve some of the issue.

There are too many options to just list.

acpi_sleep=nonvs

acpi_enforce_resources=lax

The fact is it's a pretty wide open field of info related to this stuff.

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'
so the temporary test would look like that but the grub line would look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009' "
There are more "Windows" configuration option, these tell the kernel to pretend the system is like one of these cases and the kernel will implement certain corrections related to odd bios bugs or different issues, in order to try to correctly handle everything.

You should be testing with the temporary grub option, not editing grub, because if you reach a total failure and it does not even boot completely then you would be stuck with an edited grub file that you have to fix from tty or chroot environment.

This is another thing to look at, although I didn't see any dmesg output related to problems with audio of the nvidia board, but just to show the info: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2384893

The extreme option, and this could eliminate issue but it's not good, likely to not let the fans run, there will be no power management possible, and other possible issues: acpi=off

There is a lot of documentation and articles about this stuff on the internet.

Another thing here, and this is where most of the booting time is listed is with loading the nvidia driver. The driver is signed so it can be loaded on an UEFI setup but this is a legacy setup so not useful. You could rebuild the kernel and remove the certificate setup which is a substantial timing hit here, but that's a big deal. I didn't see whether or not the EDID query was causing an issue or not but that's another known potential that you can use a workaround for.
Finston Pickle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Finston Pickle »

I actually measured my laptop startup time on Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa.

3 min 45 secs in spite of having the boot partition at the front of the drive. Instant start from suspend, so not actually a big deal.

Zorin 12.04 on a different laptop was about 2/3 mins, but I never timed it.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

If you reboot then run the following command, it will show where your boot process is having problems:

journalctl -b | grep -i "error\|warn\|fail" | tee >(gzip --stdout > journalctl_$USER.gz)
This command will write the current system log problems to the file journalctl_(yourname).gz. The file will be located in your /home/login_name directory
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

zcot wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 am For the power handling issue, ACPI messages, you will have to test a variety of parameters. I don't know some clear exact answer here, but instead of using nomodeset, for graphics related, which doesn't help this case, there are other possible combination(s) that can help, with other kernel modules.

To stop the fsck issue the kernel will have to properly handle the ACPI setup to where it reboots/shuts-down correctly and you never have to hold the power button to shut it down. The incomplete shutdown causes the fsck.

Look at this example mentioning the possibilities for finding a possible parameter correction for the kernel related to this hardware:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/127989/ ... t-can-i-do

I would try this one because the dmesg output shows some chatter about irq tables, but a lot of the early acpi messages look fine. I would test acpi=noirq for sure.

This might solve some of the issue.

There are too many options to just list.

acpi_sleep=nonvs

acpi_enforce_resources=lax

The fact is it's a pretty wide open field of info related to this stuff.

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'
so the temporary test would look like that but the grub line would look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009' "
There are more "Windows" configuration option, these tell the kernel to pretend the system is like one of these cases and the kernel will implement certain corrections related to odd bios bugs or different issues, in order to try to correctly handle everything.

You should be testing with the temporary grub option, not editing grub, because if you reach a total failure and it does not even boot completely then you would be stuck with an edited grub file that you have to fix from tty or chroot environment.

This is another thing to look at, although I didn't see any dmesg output related to problems with audio of the nvidia board, but just to show the info: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2384893

The extreme option, and this could eliminate issue but it's not good, likely to not let the fans run, there will be no power management possible, and other possible issues: acpi=off

There is a lot of documentation and articles about this stuff on the internet.

Another thing here, and this is where most of the booting time is listed is with loading the nvidia driver. The driver is signed so it can be loaded on an UEFI setup but this is a legacy setup so not useful. You could rebuild the kernel and remove the certificate setup which is a substantial timing hit here, but that's a big deal. I didn't see whether or not the EDID query was causing an issue or not but that's another known potential that you can use a workaround for.
Umm, this is for xed admin:///etc/default/grub this command? I mean to edit grub?
Could you please simplify your instructions a bit, sorry as said earlier I am new to linux :roll: :?
Sorry for late reply by the way
AvengerZap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AvengerZap »

I had forgot to mention earlier, but this slow to start problem had also happened when I used manjaro a while ago. Seems like some issue with the Nvidia graphics driver itself, because boot time is faster when the open-source driver is used in both manjaro and linux mint.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

Read the good advice Larry78723 above.
Because before that I gave you links so that you would give me the results of the commands that were there in the links.
These commands look for lines with errors in the system logs.
Displaying errors from the system log is important. Because, for example, I cannot predict the causes.

Edit
From the earlier command I only know that you are using the Nvidia driver, that's good.

Edit
You can also read about these commands on the internet.
Thanks to this, maybe you will learn better how to use them.

Return to “Beginner Questions”