Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mawiles
Level 1
Level 1

Corrupted display

Post by mawiles »

Attempting to install via usb.. both Mate and xfce verions. System does have win10, have blank partition ready to go. This is a Ryzen 7 system with Nvidia Geforce 2070 Super video card. As it comes up to the USB the display is immediately corrupted. No chance to select anything, or options... just a corrupted display that is unreadable. Pretty sad.
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Corrupted display

Post by Larry78723 »

Nvidia graphics are a problem. I never use them so someone else will have to help.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

Did you choose the nvidia graphics boot option? if not please try it. If you cannot even see GRUB then press down arrow key once and then press enter. should have the same effect.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
lostsoul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lostsoul »

I too have an addon nvidia card. When I was trying the live disk, as well as when I installed, I never saw any sort of nVidia option, just normal, compatibility, and OEM install. None of those worked for me with regard to having the nvidia card drivers install.

To get it to work I have change the BIOS to use the onboard ATI video first and then using the CLI and apt install the appropriate nvidia drivers. Then reboot, change the BIOS back to using the addon and save the settings. Then reboot again with my HDMI cable plugged into the card. Not a whole lot of fun especially when you consider that Ubuntu comes loaded with the nvidia drivers and can somehow handle this as part of the normal install.

If you do not have onboard video, other than perhaps plugging in another card temporarily, I have no other suggestions.
mawiles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mawiles »

ok. So I started over, and was able to boot into the Live USB, using compatibility mode. I installed mint, and upon reboot, corrupted display. I understand that this is due to Nvidia card, and unable to use any boot option to get it to come up readable to install the drivers. Since I am not intimate with linux perhaps some can hint at what to do at one of the other options as far as editing live... This should not really be an issue.. as Nvidia is a mainstream card and Ubuntu has not these problems.. Really a disappointment.
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

mawiles wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm
ok. So I started over, and was able to boot into the Live USB, using compatibility mode. I installed mint, and upon reboot, corrupted display. I understand that this is due to Nvidia card, and unable to use any boot option to get it to come up readable to install the drivers. Since I am not intimate with linux perhaps some can hint at what to do at one of the other options as far as editing live... This should not really be an issue.. as Nvidia is a mainstream card and Ubuntu has not these problems.. Really a disappointment.
Did you check the Release Notes for Linux Mint 20 MATE? Scroll to section on 'Solving freezes during the boot sequence' for information on getting the Nvidia drivers installed.

I do not know if your computer has both Nvidia and AMD graphics, but Ryzen 7 is still pretty new with regards to Linux installs. If your computer has both graphics, then it is likely the AMD graphics device driver will not install and you would need to install a newer kernel (newer than LTS). We would need to see your computer information (as Mint see it) to be able to help with that. Enter this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mawiles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mawiles »

It is not a "FREEZE", it is corrupted display after install
mawiles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mawiles »

and CAN NOT log in at all... that IS the problem
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

mawiles wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:54 am
It is not a "FREEZE", it is corrupted display after install
Nvidia display drivers are not automatically installed. You have to manually install them after Mint is installed. That section of the release notes gives advice on how to get temporary display drivers installed so you do not get a corrupted display and thus you are able to log in and add Nvidia drivers.

Did you do a 'live session' of Mint from the USB before installing it? You might have to select 'compatibility mode' for the live session to work. You can then get the information I requested from that live session because that session, although running from the USB, is using the hardware of your computer.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mawiles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mawiles »

Ok, now that makes more sense. I will give a try. I do have to boot into mint from usb in compatibility mode. However, the use of "freeze" is somewhat confusing when the display is corrupt, as I never saw a freeze at all. Since nomodeset seems to solve this, why is this not the default, and then allow us to install the drivers as required? Just a thought. I have been a software engineer for over 25 years, and a database administrator for 10+, though in windows, which I have had enough of.
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

mawiles wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:43 pm
Ok, now that makes more sense. I will give a try. I do have to boot into mint from usb in compatibility mode. However, the use of "freeze" is somewhat confusing when the display is corrupt, as I never saw a freeze at all. Since nomodeset seems to solve this, why is this not the default, and then allow us to install the drivers as required? Just a thought. I have been a software engineer for over 25 years, and a database administrator for 10+, though in windows, which I have had enough of.
The Linux kernel does the best it can given the multitude of graphics options made over the years. There are a number of non-proprietary graphics drivers available in the kernel, so many people would never need nomodeset. My LM20 computer has Intel integrated graphics. It works out of the box with the Mint install--no freezing or corrupt displays or need of nomodeset. It uses the i915 driver supplied by the kernel. The install is a bit more involved for those who are not able to use the non-proprietary drivers.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mawiles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mawiles »

welp, I guess that kinda makes sense. I did get it to boot, having issues with Nvidia drivers. Perhaps a quick edit to grub to put the nomodeset in boot permanently. If I were the architect I would use nomodeset so no one, no matter what video, has problems installing. Can't do everything for everyone, all the time, especially with proprietary drivers. so mark this resolved.
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

mawiles wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:55 pm
welp, I guess that kinda makes sense. I did get it to boot, having issues with Nvidia drivers. Perhaps a quick edit to grub to put the nomodeset in boot permanently. If I were the architect I would use nomodeset so no one, no matter what video, has problems installing. Can't do everything for everyone, all the time, especially with proprietary drivers. so mark this resolved.
If you want to mark this thread as resolved, edit the title of your first post to add [SOLVED].

Just want to give you a heads-up that Ryzen 7 is considered "new" hardware in the open-source world, so there may be a bit of "tweaking" necessary to get Mint to work on your equipment. Others with Ryzen 7 have found success with Mint. There are threads on this forum that you may find helpful, but if searches don't give you the answers you need you can always post more threads with your specific issues. Knowing how Mint sees the hardware (the inxi info I mentioned in an earlier post) is going to be needed for others to provide help.
LM20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”