Dog pics

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: For this forum: please allow only static (non-animated) profile pics

Post by AZgl1800 »

senjoz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am my guardian girl watches over me with that sad forlorn face...
I had to look in vocabularry for the meaning of forlorn. Sad and lonely because of isolation or desertion, being in poor condition, nearly hopeless.

Well, if your avatar helps her to be less forlorn then ... let it be.

Regards,
Jože
Well, her look is forlorn, she is a Great Pyrenees, a guard dog for sheep usually in the high mountains, and lives alone with the flock. The sheperds feed their dogs nightly.... her name is Missy, and she does guard us well, runs around the inside Cyclone fencing barking at anything that moves.

She sleeps under my feet, eats out of my hands, and loves to run on a long leash while we use the golf cart to water our trees..... we have six acres of grass and trees, and luckily for the first time in 10 years, we have 30 new Volunteer trees coming up....

If she escapes the leash, she is gone, will circle the entire six acres within about 15 minutes 2 or 3 times to be sure no intruders have encroached upon us.... then she finally comes back to the house, begging to be let in.

Catalpa Trees in full bloom.... only lasts about a week :(

This little white flags are where the new trees have come up, the golf cart pulls a trailer with an agriculatural herbicide tank on it, has a builtin water pump and 30 feet of hose to a hand nozzle.... we pull up beside the new trees and give them 2 gallons of water each night.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Dog pics

Post by Flemur »

We lived at 10,00 feet with this lady, she'd "molt" like a mountain goat in the spring (A big Great Pyrenees / Chow mix):
Gertie.jpg
The black one one, the trouble maker, we found young but full-grown in the desert, he'd never been in a house or a car, or on a leash ("rez dog"); the brown one, actually a bit bigger, came to us from the pound
Toby_Cooper.jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: DOG PICS

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Flemur wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:35 pm ...The black one one, the trouble maker, we found young but full-grown in the desert, he'd never been in a house or a car, or on a leash ("rez dog")...
Toby_Cooper.jpg
Oh man, the border collie is almost a dead ringer for the one my ex and I picked up near her parents home in a small town in TX. The neighbors loved us for that because the dog was a chicken thief. He never got bigger than 18 lb. and we guess he was either a border collie mix or a litter runt. He was the smartest dog I ever had.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: For this forum: please allow only static (non-animated) profile pics

Post by AZgl1800 »

all41 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:20 pm @antikythera @Flemur

+++1 for adopting/rescuing your canine friends. All four of ours came to us by those means as well.
We found Missy on a sheep farm, she was about 5 weeks old....
momma dog had way too may puppies for the farmer to keep them...

our Husky Chow mix came somewhat the same way.

our little 30 lb Australian Shepard found us in Fulton, MS at a State Park 2 years ago ....
Hungry, skittish, dirty..... my truck was at a mechanic's shop for Alternator fix, and the guys there said it had been running around begging for food.... they asked us if we could please take it, they were afraid it would drink Anti-Freeze and die.... ( they have to drain radiators and it sits in a pan under the vehicles. )

Missy and Keira were with us on leashes, and the little black puppie came up to us and start crawling up my daughter's legs asking for help/love/ food ??

I rarely take in strays like that, but that one just could not be left loose.... so we took it home.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Tagalong

Missy, Great Pyrenees, we have been told that she is really an Akbash from Turkey?

Keira at a RV Park in Macon, GA..... notice how level the parking slot was?
my daughter is 44 y/o then....

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

They're beautiful!

(Don't tell my cat I meowed that.)

Unfortunately, my cat won't let me have pets of my own.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

The best breed of dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with.
Albert was the first Italian Spinone born in New Zealand. He died in his sleep just six weeks short of his 13th birthday. The average life span of the breed is 12 years.
Albert.JPG
Jordan celebrated her 13th birthday on 7 August 2020. She is deaf and has slowed down over the past year. We live in a rural area, and she takes it upon herself to go "walk about" from time to time
Jordan.JPG
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dog pics

Post by all41 »

+1 @AZgl1500 and @Lady Fitzgerald regarding rescue and adoption

People seem to abandon dogs by dropping them off "in the country" so they will not
find their way back--so disheartening. If they find their way here they will get food, care, friendship,
and a chance at finding decent homes. Some get to stay.

I am acquainted with associates of our nearest animal awareness group and they help place some of them
through their national network.

We recently lost our faithful Catahoula Leopard at 17 years old--so sad.
He came to us in the wee hours during a violent thunderstorm -we heard a puppy crying outside
our bedroom window. He was soaked, scared, and hungry. We think he was barely weaned.

As my wife was drying and caring for him I got dressed in rain gear and searched the area that same night, and again the next morning to make sure there was none of his litter mates out there abandoned as well.

Sometimes lifelong best-friends just happen this way.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:47 pm...Keira at a RV Park in Macon, GA..... notice how level the parking slot was?
my daughter is 44 y/o then....

That's more level than my mobile home lot. At least it has good drainage.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Meet Sally
sally.JPG
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Lovely doggie pics. We haven't had a pet pooch for about 16 years. Rusty was a stray that wandered into our yard one day, he looked like a nice animal but scrawny and riddled with ticks (i think he was probably a camp dog). Anyway we fed him, got rid of the ticks, and he made his home with us for the next 10 years or so.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open Chat”