Grammar Pet Peeve

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Grammar Pet Peeve

Post by Pjotr »

dorsetUK wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:18 am Just a thought - Whose' language.
That apostrophe is wrong, because the se after who already takes care of the "from" function. :mrgreen:

Same in other Germanic languages like Dutch (van wie = wiens) and German (von wem = wessen).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:34 am
dorsetUK wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:18 am Just a thought - Whose' language.
That apostrophe is wrong, because the se after who already takes care of the "from" function. :mrgreen:

Same in other Germanic languages like Dutch (van wie = wiens) and German (von wem = wessen).
Yep, I agree, but I was making a, possibly cryptic, maybe facetious, comment about apostrophes when used to denote ownership. Language is free and it evolves - let it.

Edit needed as sometimes, damn words get them selves in thr rong ordur. Nuffink 2 do wiv me. :D
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

dorsetUK wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:18 am For simpler Maths, BODMAS, is a helpful acronym. Although being pedantic, it's not actually an acronym as we need to ignore the 'O'.

B = Brackets. Do what's in them first.
D = Division. Then do any of them.
M = Multiplication. Do them.
A = Addition. Their turn.
S = Subtraction. Last but not least.
That is not a law of nature, that is a human convention which only applies in the countries that signed and ratified the Sciences and Maths Applied Convention of Kaliningrad (SMACK) of 1928.
Ok, OK, here it is: ;) I know it was not 1928 but 1918. ;)
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

For simpler Maths, BODMAS, is a helpful acronym. Although being pedantic, it's not actually an acronym as we need to ignore the 'O'.
Not for us who use reverse polish. An HP calculator user since the mid 70's, love my HP15C :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 am
For simpler Maths, BODMAS, is a helpful acronym. Although being pedantic, it's not actually an acronym as we need to ignore the 'O'.
Not for us who use reverse polish. An HP calculator user since the mid 70's, love my HP15C :)
Hi AndyMH - can you explain what you're 'hsilop' ing? Or are you 'sanding' your calculator? :lol:
GS3 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 am That is not a law of nature, that is a human convention which only applies in the countries that signed and ratified the Sciences and Maths Applied Convention of Kaliningrad (SMACK) of 1928.
Hi GS3, I couldn't agree more - but if, as 'conventionised', it works, then only monkeys care when. :wink:

Oh the jokes we Maths teachers used to make about being the 'Smackheads' of the education world. :shock: Still, each group needs its own means of communication.

Ah, c'mon, at least give me an 'inxi.'
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

GS3 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 am That is not a law of nature, that is a human convention which only applies in the countries that signed and ratified the Sciences and Maths Applied Convention of Kaliningrad (SMACK) of 1928.
Until 1945, Kaliningrad was called Königsberg. A German city, former capital of Prussia even. So I think that convention name can't be quite correct.... :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 amNot for us who use reverse polish.
Reverse Polish? Is that like "Double Dutch"? ;)
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

For the avoidance of doubt :) , a reverse polish calculator has no = sign (or brackets), instead it has an enter key.

So on a ordinary calculator 2 + 2 =

In reverse polish 2 enter 2 +

No advantage here, but with more complex calculations = fewer keystrokes. Problem is, after decades of HP calculators I can no longer use an ordinary calculator - I press the keys in the wrong order.

Does anybody use separate calculators anymore? I've got an HP15C simulator on my desktop and also on my phone.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

dorsetUK wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:44 am
...Language is free and it evolves - let it...

There is a huge difference between evolution and corruption. Sadly, corruption is usually the most prevalent.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 am Does anybody use separate calculators anymore? I've got an HP15C simulator on my desktop and also on my phone.
Yes (I would say "yep" but this is a grammar thread). I frequently use one on my desktop when I'm at home. My "dumb as rocks" flip phone has one on it but I prefer to use the little solar powered one I have in my purse since I prefer to leave the phone turned off.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 am Does anybody use separate calculators anymore? I've got an HP15C simulator on my desktop and also on my phone.

Yes - slide rule (Ricoh 151) and soroban (abacus). :)

Seriously, I have an HP-42S that I used for many years until I got a smart phone just a few years ago. I have a 42S simulator on the phone. I also have an RPN calculator (Galculator) on my Linux desktop. But I do like to use the slide rule and abacus regularly to stay in practice and because I enjoy using them.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I still have my pocket slide rule and several old Casio calculators. I also have a Casio FX-880P "pocket computer" which I used for Celestial Navigation. Unfortunately I lost all the programs I wrote for that purpose.

I used to do Celestial Navigation using log tables which required mental interpolation. Talk about exercising your mental abilities! I used to time my whole process and got to be pretty good. I could reduce an observation using only tables in about two minutes. It was all purely mechanical, no thinking. Just filling out a paper form along the way.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

GS3 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:57 am
AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 amNot for us who use reverse polish.
Reverse Polish? Is that like "Double Dutch"? ;)
If you use a standard business calculator, what you find is it only adds. However, by flipping the value of a particular entry to negative, you get the equivalent of subtraction.

For example, let's say I'm auditing a store. There's a particular department, for example Health and Beauty Aids (commonly abbreviated as "HBA"). We are looking for $8,725.36 in inventory. However, $7,995.57 was counted.

So, you type in the actually counted value:

Then you tell the calculator this is a "positive" value:
+

Then you give it the expected value:

And tell it this is a negative value:
-

It adds these two values together and gives you a result:

Business calculators of today retain this mode because it's essentially a standard in the business/finance world.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

farkas wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:16 am Fortunately LM forums has a Languages subforum for non English speakers.
Unfortunately Russian subforum very boring. There not interesting topics. :(
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

My 11 year old son and I still do. We each have our own. I've had mine for going on 30 years.
Last edited by Schultz on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

GS3 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:11 pmI used to do Celestial Navigation using log tables
Have you got a sextant? Mine is a vernier one, not the better micrometer adjust. Plus there are three magnetic compasses on the shelf in front of me.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

slipstick wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Yes - slide rule (Ricoh 151) and soroban (abacus). :)

Seriously, I have an HP-42S that I used for many years until I got a smart phone just a few years ago. I have a 42S simulator on the phone. I also have an RPN calculator (Galculator) on my Linux desktop. But I do like to use the slide rule and abacus regularly to stay in practice and because I enjoy using them.
I still have my Daddy's old slide rule. I was still learning how to use it when my parents gave me my first electronic portable calculator. I used the snot out of it for the next 20 years or so until my daughter appropriated it. I tend to use things until the wear out, don't meet my needs, or otherwise don't work anymore. I have an early Micronta (old Radio Shack brand) DVOM that's at least 34-40 years old and it still works just fine for use around the house. The little solar calculator in my purse is at least 20 or more years old. I have tools that are older than I am (and I'm in my seventies).
Jeannie

cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Schultz wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:48 pm
My 11 year old son and I still do. We each have our own. I've had mine for going on 30 years.
I still have, though do not use any more despite it still being functional, my first calculator from forty seven years ago. It was a half price offer from New Scientist magazine for £17-00 at a time when calculators were still a novel invention, and I hate to think what the equivalent price in modern currency would be. It has a tiny red display and eats batteries for breakfast. In the near future it may be a valuable as an antique!
Cliff Coggin
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 amDoes anybody use separate calculators anymore? I've got an HP15C simulator on my desktop and also on my phone.
I have two in front of me. A Casio fx-100D SUPER-FX and a CIZITON M-28.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Here's the antique I keep in my purse.
casio calc.JPG

Apparently, it's not as old as I thought. According to Amazon, it was first made in 2001 and is still being made.

It does have a battery in it but I never replaced it. It works just fine on light only.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”