Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
kornacho
Level 1
Level 1

GTK3 scrollbar trough/tracks and buttons became huge

Post by kornacho »

Hi.
Suddenly most of my themes have a very wide trough for the scrollbar and I cannot find where it's being set like that. Started noticing on the one I regularly use (Mint-Y-Dark-Blue) but also happens on others like Arc Dark, CBlack, etc. As soon as I change the "controls" part of the theme, this is reflected.
Other themes (Adwaita, Nordic, every Mint-X theme, etc) that seem to explicitly set the properties of the bar, work fine.
I've been messing with a few files to make the scrollbar wider, but after re-checking the ones that I've edited, I cannot find anything that resembles the cause of this issue.
To be clear, the issue is NOT on the slide itself (which is the part that can be set on the Windows options) but the elements that surround it.
cinnamon-scrollbar-big.png
Any idea where the problem might be?
Thanks
coyote2
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GTK3 scrollbar trough/tracks and buttons became huge

Post by coyote2 »

I have the exact same issue with
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
when I do nothing but set steppers to 'true' (I don't see where to modify the stepper size, just how to make them 'true' or 'false'.)

I also noticed others with this question over in https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=284390

This is one of the issues I posted a recent thread about.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

I'm sure you have tried this but, just in case ...
Have you looked in gtk.css at the lines starting at 1738 down to 1780 where there are various options to change the pixel width of scroll bar parameters.
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Evolution Mail Client 3.38.0
coyote2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coyote2 »

Thank you very much for your reply, diapasson!

Honestly I don't think I'd thought to change those lines, but I just did
(I adjusted the width parameters on lines 1749, 1753 and 1759)

I also tried changing line 1761 ("background-position") just because it was a suspiciously huge 54px.

Despite monkeying around speculatively, nothing I did appears to have changed absolutely anything.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Ahh, Linux = hours of endless amusement if you want it. There must be a parameter in there somewhere - not necessarily in those lines - which will do the job for you.

Recently I got involved with another user who wanted to change caret color and width. They had managed to change the width of the caret but not the color. With perseverance, we got there on color by editing various lines in some files for the theme:

The solution they had found for width was found in the Gnome pages. There is a section on scroll bars. You might find something there:

https://developer.gnome.org/search?q=scroll%2Bbar
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Evolution Mail Client 3.38.0

Return to “Cinnamon”