virtualbox ,where is it?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
catrunner75
Level 1
Level 1

virtualbox ,where is it?

Post by catrunner75 »

so iive given up on vmware. so as suggested on here by a user the appication virtaulbox, same thing, is available in the repository...i locate it in software manager with a search, install...now i dont see it anywhere or how to open it. no desktop icon, no new listing in software. gee wiz i cant seem to understand anything.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: virtualbox ,where is it?

Post by Pierre »

most folks will suggest to get the program from their Web Site:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
in order to obtain the latest version

the VirtualBox Program Icon will appear in System Tools, for some reason.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

I would certainly agree with Pierre to download it directly from Oracle.
Don't forget to also download the VirtualBox 6.1.14 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack , which is a page up from the url that Pierre has given you.
That enables things like better USB support.
After I installed it in my Cinnamon Mint 19.3 it appeared under the Administration group in the Menu.
It appears as Oracle VM VirtualBox.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

catrunner75 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 pm
so iive given up on vmware. so as suggested on here by a user the appication virtaulbox, same thing, is available in the repository...i locate it in software manager with a search, install...now i dont see it anywhere or how to open it. no desktop icon, no new listing in software. gee wiz i cant seem to understand anything.
Don't forget to uninstall/remove the version you installed using software manager before proceeding.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 20 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
antikythera
Level 7
Level 7

Post by antikythera »

Pierre wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 pm
most folks will suggest to get the program from their Web Site:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
in order to obtain the latest version

the VirtualBox Program Icon will appear in System Tools, for some reason.
:)
I answered this in the original thread. I don't disagree that there are circumstances when people should use the new version from Oracle but it depends really on what is needed by the end user.
I still stick with installing it from the repositories despite what the other guys advise. You only really ever need to start using the version from Oracle's own website when your kernel does not match the default provided by Ubuntu/Mint or want to host another linux operating system with a newer kernel. For running Windows 7/8/8.1/10 the repository version is absolutely reliable.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
catrunner75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catrunner75 »

thanks guys, but arnt i going to have the same problem if i download from the website? im trying to use virtual box now because i cant get vmware to install and despit a few post ive received no clear answer as to what the problem is. ive downloaded vmware, ive gone into properties and made the bin executable then i click on the vmware and it says loading installer...done..then it says something about not having root permission but the message goes across so fast i simply cannot read the whole line.
catrunner75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catrunner75 »

kelevra wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 am
catrunner75 wrote:
Don't forget to uninstall/remove the version you installed using software manager before proceeding.
why?
catrunner75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catrunner75 »

it would appear this is some kind of bug that had plagued many distributions. ive looked everywhere, even search bar does not produce it. i have to go into software manager and launch from there. i also found in terminal apt get virtualbox, verified it was there, then simply entered virtualbox and it opened up. is there anyway to creat a shortcut similiar to the ease of which you do it in windows? i want it on the desktop
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

catrunner75 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm
kelevra wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 am
catrunner75 wrote:
why?
I had the same issue with a software install when I first started using Mint. I had installed it using software manager and couldn't find it. So I then attempted to do an install of a newer version using apt get in the terminal and it failed about half way through. When I tried to remove the new version I got an error and when I tried to remove it with software manager I got an error. I couldn't reinstall and I couldn't remove it. Mint was so new I didn't have a snapshot yet so out came the live boot USB and another fresh install of Mint was had.
Needless to say, I now remove any installed software before I attempt any new installs of the same software.

Mint 20 Cinnamon
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I agree with Pierre and RlH, an install with the latest version from the VirtualBox website is the best way to go. That is how I installed VirtualBox and the Extension Pack. I have had no issues using it and the virtual machines.

Mint 20 Cinnamon
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

catrunner75 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:45 pm
is there anyway to creat a shortcut similiar to the ease of which you do it in windows? i want it on the desktop
Sure. More than one way too, but this might be easiest,

Open file manager, click;
File System > usr > share > applications
scroll down to virtualbox
right click > copy
paste on desktop
done
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Return to “Newbie Questions”