list filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, grouped by subfolder, in one terminal command [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

list filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, grouped by subfolder, in one terminal command [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

I have a folder containing about 9 subfolders. Each subfolder has about 10 files. How can I easily list, in one terminal command, all (approximately) 90 filenames, grouped by subfolder? The listing can appear in the terminal or can be outputted into a simple text file.
All (approximately) 90 files are have the same filename extension. I'd prefer it if the terminal command can just chop off the extension part of the filename. For example, "Every morning.txt" will appear in the text file as "Every morning".

Here's a printout I don't mind having:
Folder1

Every morning
Sweet sundae
The sweet spring season
blah blah

Folder2

The road to nowhere
Surfing USA
A change in time
blahblahblah
Thank you.

UPDATE: Solution is simply one word in terminal:

Code: Select all

find
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to list the filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, in one terminal command

Post by MrEen »

How close does this get:

ls -R1 /path/to/folder | rev | cut -d"." -f2-  | rev
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to list the filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, in one terminal command

Post by pepperminty »

MrEen. Not quite there.

It doesn't include the name of the folder.
When I wrote "Folder1" or "Folder2" in my OP, that's supposed to be the actual names of the subfolders. :)

I want the actual subfolder names to be part of the output. :)

What it did was list all the subfolder names at the beginning of the output, but separated from the contents of each subfolder.
Last edited by pepperminty on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to list the filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, in one terminal command [solved]

Post by MrEen »

Wowzers! I figured it'd get you part way, but not across the finish line.

I'm glad, surprised as heck, but glad, I could help. :D
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

pepperminty wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 pm MrEen. Not quite there.
ROFL. I knew it! :D
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Sorry. I was so excited just to see something.
But I had to quickly erase the "[Solved]" from the OP's title.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

As a guess, I'll bet you want the folder paths changed to just the folder names. Would that be accurate?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

MrEen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 pm As a guess, I'll bet you want the folder paths changed to just the folder names. Would that be accurate?
I think the answer to your question is yes. :)

I *don't" want this sort of printout
/home/folder/folder1

file1
file 2
file 3

/home/folder/folder2

filea
file AB
filebc
Rather, I'd prefer something like:
folder1 [<--- Let's say this is the actual name of the folder :)]

file1
file 2
file 3

folder2

filea
file AB
filebc
FYI, I ran your command from inside the main folder, so I just removed the /path/to/folder part of the command.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

That part I can't help with I'm afraid. I believe it's hard coded to have the path with a semicolon at the end for each folder. There's still a way to do it, but it's beyond my abilities.

Someone else should be able to help you get over that hurdle.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

MrEen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm That part I can't help with I'm afraid. I believe it's hard coded to have the path with a semicolon at the end for each folder. There's still a way to do it, but it's beyond my abilities.

Someone else should be able to help you get over that hurdle.
I don't mind if there's a semicolon. :) I'm not picky.
I also don't mind if it's "path/to/folder" and not just Folder1 or Folder2.

What's important is that the filenames appear in the right group (i.e., associated with the subfolder that contains them).
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: list filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, grouped by subfolder, in one terminal command

Post by pepperminty »

Solved with one word:

find
:)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: list filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, grouped by subfolder, in one terminal command [solved]

Post by MrEen »

LOL!

I just thought of this as a possible solution:

ls -R1 | rev | cut -d"." -f2-  | cut -d"/" -f1,2 | rev
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: list filenames of all files in a folder's subfolders, grouped by subfolder, in one terminal command [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

I just tried that, and grouping is still off. :) Thanks so much though.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You're welcome. I'm glad you found a solution. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”