Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Print Screen Issue

Post by AmethystCT »

When I use Print Screen (image of my screen) I sometimes get a clear or proper image (of the screen) and other times I get a cut section of my desktop wallpaper cropped from my screen. My print screen is messed up so bad that it was not worth taking. How do I get a clear and accurate print screen of my screen without garbage corrupting it?? I am using NVIDIA Drivers (NVIDIA-driver-440) for my Display.
Last edited by AmethystCT on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Print Screen Issue

Post by absque fenestris »

You don't say anything about the desktop used.

In Cinnamon and MATE, the program > Screenshot should be available in the Menu under > Accessories.

If you want to edit screenshots, KSnip, among others, is a good solution. You can use it to set markings, arrows, texts, etc.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmethystCT »

I am using Linux Mint 20... just downloaded the other day! Have a look at the attachment!
Screenshot Issue
Screenshot Issue
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmethystCT »

Believe me when I say I know how to edit screenshots, I am making a custom theme in Linux Mint (visible in the screenshot), I made the Business Desktop Wallpaper in GIMP, and there is something wrong with the print-screen function in Linux Mint 20! I am using the Cinnamon Desktop and I have tried NVIDIA Drivers 440 and 435 where this bug / issue occurs. With NVIDIA 390 it does not appear to happen but that driver version is slow on system boot and it is buggy as all hell. Graphics Card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT710.

Host: B85M-D3H
Kernel: 5.4.0-47-generic
Uptime: 4 mins
Packages: 3098 (dpkg)
Shell: bash 5.0.17
Resolution: 2560x1080
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: Intel i7-4790 (8) @ 4.000GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Memory: 1554MiB / 15889MiB
Last edited by AmethystCT on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurogane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kurogane »

Hey! I was just going to post about this issue, great that I found this thread. I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon, the default screenshot tool, and NVIDIA 390 driver. I have exactly the same issue. When I take a screenshot, I get my desktop background and everything that is in it - shortcuts, conky, panel, - all of those end up in the foreground of my screenshot, blocking the actual content that is on the screen. It always happens in different areas of a screenshot, and different areas of my desktop messes the screenshot. The only thing I can do now is to do screenshots in sequence, usually a few ones will have the issue, then you can make a good one. It is extremely uncomfortable, and I don't know what to do. I'm having online classes and need to do lots of screenshots and this is a problem.

Here's some examples, you can clearly see me default desktop wallpaper there :lol:
https://pasteboard.co/JrHXus9.png
https://pasteboard.co/JrHYe5T.png
https://pasteboard.co/JrHYs9B.png
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

Please post the proper output of the following instead of snippets AmethystCT. You aren't divulging anything that would personally identify you or enable hackers to access your PC by doing so:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxmz
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmethystCT »

I hope this helps... here is the output from the command... 'inxi -Fxmz' executed in Terminal elevated as Root User

System: Kernel: 5.4.0-47-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Console: tty 0
Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B85M-D3H v: x.x serial: N/A UEFI: American Megatrends v: FB
date: 06/19/2014
Memory: RAM: total: 15.52 GiB used: 2.01 GiB (12.9%)
Array-1: capacity: 32 GiB slots: 4 EC: None max module size: 8 GiB note: est.
Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 size: 8 GiB speed: 1600 MT/s type: DDR3
Device-2: ChannelA-DIMM1 size: 8 GiB speed: 1600 MT/s type: DDR3
Device-3: ChannelB-DIMM0 size: No Module Installed
Device-4: ChannelB-DIMM1 size: No Module Installed
CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4790 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3
L2 cache: 8192 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 57467
Speed: 1082 MHz min/max: 800/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 898 2: 898 3: 898 4: 898 5: 898 6: 898 7: 898
8: 898
Graphics: Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915
v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 440.100 bus ID: 07:00.0
Display: server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa tty: 120x24
Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
Audio: Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 00:03.0
Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Device-3: Creative Labs CA0108/CA10300 [Sound Blaster Audigy Series] driver: snd_emu10k1 v: kernel
bus ID: 02:00.0
Device-4: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 07:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-47-generic
Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel
port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0
IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k v: kernel port: d000
bus ID: 06:00.0
IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: Local Storage: total: 1.96 TiB used: 271.51 GiB (13.5%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Team model: T253X2128G size: 119.24 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Patriot model: P200 1TB size: 953.87 GiB temp: 37 C
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD10SPZX-00Z10T0 size: 931.51 GiB temp: 31 C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 116.38 GiB used: 27.98 GiB (24.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info: Processes: 259 Uptime: 47m Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi: 3.0.38

Do you like the computer I built to run the backbone of my small business?? I think the screenshot sort of gave away who I am to begin with LOL! None the less this is an issue and it is a problem that we need addressed. I do not see how giving you a hardware summary of my system will help but I hope it does as I am not alone with this issue! We need this issue / bug identified and fixed!!!
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

AmethystCT wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 am
I am using the Cinnamon Desktop and I have tried NVIDIA Drivers 440 and 435 where this bug / issue occurs. With NVIDIA 390 it does not appear to happen but that driver version is slow on system boot and it is buggy as all hell. Graphics Card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT710.
Yet your inxi information indicates you are not using the Cinnamon Desktop (see information I highlighted in orange).

This is what you posted:
System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-47-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Console: tty 0

This is my computer running Cinnamon:
System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-47-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 wm: muffin 4.6.3 dm: LightDM 1.30.0

It also appears your Nvidia driver may not have installed properly. You are not getting the full benefit of the driver and the graphics capability of the X Server.
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915
Device-2: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 440.100 bus ID: 07:00.0
Display: server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa tty: 120x24
Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.

Normally the information I put in blue would be something similar to (but not exactly like):
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT710/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100.00

But it is also possible that information is not registering correctly because you are not using the Cinnamon desktop and its default windows and display managers.

You are free to customize your computer however you want, but using a "non-standard" installation like you are doing means that problems are going to be harder to troubleshoot.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

Kurogane wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:46 pm
Hey! I was just going to post about this issue, great that I found this thread. I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon, the default screenshot tool, and NVIDIA 390 driver. I have exactly the same issue. When I take a screenshot, I get my desktop background and everything that is in it - shortcuts, conky, panel, - all of those end up in the foreground of my screenshot, blocking the actual content that is on the screen. It always happens in different areas of a screenshot, and different areas of my desktop messes the screenshot. The only thing I can do now is to do screenshots in sequence, usually a few ones will have the issue, then you can make a good one. It is extremely uncomfortable, and I don't know what to do. I'm having online classes and need to do lots of screenshots and this is a problem.

Here's some examples, you can clearly see me default desktop wallpaper there :lol:
https://pasteboard.co/JrHXus9.png
https://pasteboard.co/JrHYe5T.png
https://pasteboard.co/JrHYs9B.png
Please do post a new thread with your issue.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Larry78723 »

@AmethystCT - Please don't post in colors, it may look cute but it's very distracting to those of us who are trying to help you. Also, when asked to post the results of commands, please enclose them in code tags by pressing the </> above the text box and copying the results between code tags.
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmethystCT »

So far no one has given me an answer on how to fix this bug and now you are telling me it is because of my non-standard install. Well I am doing things exactly as I have done for a very long time (since Ubuntu 8.04-LTS) and I have never seen an issue with using the print-screen function in a Linux Distribution. I will use what colours I want as I am posting this and I am reporting a bug that I now know others have come across as well. Rather than telling me what colours I should use how about you get to fixing this bug or should I go back to Zorin OS where this bug doesn't happen? As for the Graphics Drivers I am using the 'recommended' NVIDIA Drivers that should have been tested to earn the flag of being 'recommended'. If you have nothing good to say about this bug or problem then don't type or contribute anything!!! I like Linux Mint and I can see why many users are drawn to it and if this bug can be resolved properly for everyone without silly comments and nonsense then I will distribute Linux Mint to my clients. I can not help I found a bug and I have done what is right in reporting it. It is not my fault there is a problem, bug or issue in Linux Mint 20!!!
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

AmethystCT wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:56 pm
So far no one has given me an answer on how to fix this bug and now you are telling me it is because of my non-standard install.
We are telling you that because your install is so different from what we have and from what is standard that we do not know what might be causing the issue you are having. You are the only one with that install.
AmethystCT wrote:
I am reporting a bug that I now know others have come across as well.
Actually, I don't know of anyone else who has this problem. You said the print screen worked properly with the 390 Driver. The other person who mentioned what appears to be a slightly different issue is using the 390 Driver, so that can't be the same issue you are having.
AmethystCT wrote:
As for the Graphics Drivers I am using the 'recommended' NVIDIA Drivers that should have been tested to earn the flag of being 'recommended'.
You are using proprietary Nvidia Drivers. The are the property of Nvidia and are not open-source. They are also provided upstream of Mint and thus are outside of Mint's control.
AmethystCT wrote:
I can not help I found a bug and I have done what is right in reporting it.
This forum is not the place to report suspected bugs. This forum is frequented by Mint users who volunteer their time to help other Mint users solve problems. We do not write or fix the code. Suspected bugs are reported either on GitHub (if it is Mint specific code) or on launchpad (if it is Ubuntu code).
LM20.0 Cinnamon
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Linux Mint Cinnamon 20. PrtSc-key. No bug...
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmethystCT »

Quote: "Hey! I was just going to post about this issue, great that I found this thread. I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon, the default screenshot tool". Need I go on with the quote... There is an issue and I am not alone in experiencing it. Are you going to give something useful or you are going to continue to complain and waste our time about things that are irrelevant? As I typed earlier. If you are not going to help then do not say or type anything. I have been pointed in the direction of lightdm being a problem and that has been all the constructive information I have received so far. As the other person pointed out this print-screen issue / bug / problem does not happen all the time. None the less it is there and my previous print screen has established that. Now if you can not help then stop wasting my time with your silly replies and leave this for people who might know what is going on. I deploy Linux to my clients and I never do so if there are issues or problems because it reflected poorly on me as the person who provided it. I do not have all the time in the world to be posting here however I do have the time to report a bug / issue / problem I have observed so when others come across it they know what to do to resolve it. Again if you do not have a solution then don't type and stop wasting my time!
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

AmethystCT wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:32 am
Quote: " Again if you do not have a solution then don't type and stop wasting my time!

I've never had this problem with PrintScreen. :D You could try "Flameshot" from the Software Manager...works great...might want to tone back the attitude a little if you want to get help in future...I'm sorry to waste your time too...yeah right. :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

AmethystCT wrote:
Rather than telling me what colours I should use how about you get to fixing this bug or should I go back to Zorin OS where this bug doesn't happen?
How about learning some manners before you make demands of the people here who are trying to help to help you. People who, in case you had not noticed, have nothing to do with Linux Mint except as users like yourself.
Cliff Coggin
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmethystCT »

"How about learning some manners"...

How about just admitting there is a problem / bug / issue as displayed in my screenshot and by someone else who has got the exact same issue and stop wasting my time with silly requests about colour and bypassing the problem / bug / issue at hand! Just because you do not want a problem to be there does not mean the problem goes away. If you were all more focused on the task and problem at hand over everything else then there may be a solution already. All I have received with this in silly requests and people claiming there is no problem where I have one solid lead with lightdm being the cause. There is a problem and if there was no problem I would not have taken the time to report it here. As I have said twice before I have the time to report bugs and issues but I do not have the time for silly trolls.

I am assessing Linux Mint 20 for my private and business clients where I did hope to be able to deploy it to those clients. Before I deploy any Linux Distribution to any clients I properly and thoroughly check it. You want me to learn some manners well where does anyone get off telling me what colours I can use or how I can present this information? The feature is there and I will use it and everyone should be welcome to use it.

As it is and for the 3rd or 4th time there is a problem with the print-screen function in Linux Mint. I am not alone in experiencing it. This bug seems to happen with the effect that happens when a print-screen is taken. If you do not have a solution or something positive to contribute then don't type and waste my or anyone else's time. Is it so hard for you to understand or are you unable to follow such a simple request?

If you have a solution or can help then by all means your input is very much welcome. Other than that go do your own thing and if you are not a user of Linux Mint 20 I suggest you try it before passing judgement on me for simply reporting a bug I found with evidence to back my claim. Remember I am not alone in experiencing it!
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

AmethystCT wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:01 am

Is it so hard for you to understand or are you unable to follow such a simple request?
Yes and yes :lol:
AmethystCT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmethystCT »

I can see that it is for some of you to follow simple requests is impossible... enjoy the moment of being silly as it is irrelevant to the issue and problem / task at hand. Perhaps that is why this bug slipped passed people because they were too focused on other things :lol:!!! I have backed up my profiles and I have wiped the SSD with Linux Mint 20 on it so I could conduct a clean, complete and proper install to try to track this bug down and where lightdm came into the picture. Well it was not hard to locate the bug after the install. I updated Linux Mint in Zorin OS, rebooted to seat the updates, installed the stable and tested NVIDIA 440 Drivers (recommended) and then installed the following as .deb installers
  • anydesk_5.5.6-1_amd64.deb
  • dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb
  • google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
  • google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
  • skypeforlinux-64.deb
  • teamviewer_15.9.5_amd64.deb
  • zoom_amd64.deb

I then fixed up the missing dependencies and there the print-screen bug / issue / problem was back. It is either NVIDIA or something associated with those 3rd party .DEB Installers. None the less I have used all of those Applications in Linux without issue until Linux Mint 20. As I am using Firefox in Linux Mint 20 which is where I most commonly see this bug. I find it hard to understand how those 3rd party applications / .DEB Installers could cause this bug.

Here is the output of the command inxi -Fxmz in Terminal as my standard user (not Root User and that is why some output was not provided last time if you bothered to read the output). Note: I increase the size of Terminal to 120 x 24 as I have always done for well over 10 years...

System: Kernel: 5.4.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7
Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B85M-D3H v: x.x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: FB
date: 06/19/2014
Memory: RAM: total: 15.52 GiB used: 1.62 GiB (10.4%)
RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4790 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3
L2 cache: 8192 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 57471
Speed: 1472 MHz min/max: 800/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1297 2: 1297 3: 1297 4: 1297 5: 1297 6: 1299
7: 1297 8: 1297
Graphics: Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa
resolution: 2560x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100 direct render: Yes
Audio: Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 00:03.0
Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Device-3: Creative Labs CA0108/CA10300 [Sound Blaster Audigy Series] driver: snd_emu10k1 v: kernel
bus ID: 02:00.0
Device-4: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 07:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-48-generic
Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel
port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0
IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k v: kernel port: d000
bus ID: 06:00.0
IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: Local Storage: total: 2.19 TiB used: 198.66 GiB (8.9%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Team model: T253X2128G size: 119.24 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Patriot model: P200 1TB size: 953.87 GiB
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD10SPZX-00Z10T0 size: 931.51 GiB
ID-4: /dev/sdd type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD My Passport 25F3 size: 238.44 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 116.38 GiB used: 23.49 GiB (20.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 43 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 33%
Info: Processes: 261 Uptime: 11m Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi: 3.0.38

One way or the other where other Linux Distributions do not have this print-screen bug Linux Mint 20 does have it. The attachment proves it and if you want Linux Mint 20 to be better then accept the problem is there and stop being silly about it with useless requests or comments that are irrelevant. Linux Mint deserves better from you as contributors! Also I am giving my time for free to report the bug / issue / problem to help Linux Mint become better.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-09-21 21-12-57.png
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi Amethyst.
Firstly as has been mentioned - this isn't the place to post bugs but yes, ppl here may be able to help you and indeed have by posting other options.
ksnip is a perfectly reasonable workaround amongst other pieces of software.
Don't take it personally but if people don't like the colour of your font, well they are as free to ask you to not use it as you are free to use it - however that also means that those ppl may not be willing to help you further - your loss or not is for you to decide.

Also best to bear in mind that everyone here is logging in and posting to try to find solutions - no-one is being paid and no-one should have to defend themselves or feel exasperated off (yes, I moderated that myself) with other users.

Anyway, best of luck on your mission.

Return to “Software & Applications”