KDE 4.3.1 flash player problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
indelible

KDE 4.3.1 flash player problems

Post by indelible »

Hi guys.Recently I've installed Mint 7 KDE and the 4.3.1 update was successful.But now I'm having a strange problems with flash videos.When I listen streaming music or watching youtube videos after 2-3 minutes the video become ginned and even the kde 4 desktop.Something like very big pixels.Like problems with video card but with gnome everything was fine.I have an Nvidia 5200FX GO with drivers 173.14.Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: KDE 4.3.1 flash player problems

Post by Boo »

I think it is a flash problem reported recently but the fix may not be in the repos.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tried the 4.3.1 upgrade and it caused more problems than it solved. In 4.3.1 if desktop effects are turned off the menu will stay open on shut down and restart. Also, with 4.3.1 I lost the ability to log off, the system would just hang. Not all of the needed packages are supplied for the upgrade to resolve some other issues too, I read that on the Kubuntu forum.

With KDE 4.2.4 I have a nearly perfect working system, with the exception of Kate (Works but likes to crash on exit...) I also had a problem with the screen saver not starting reliably, the solution was to set it's priority to medium, now it starts every time. The issue with Kate was resolved in 4.3.1 but the fix was never ported to 4.2.4... I just use another text editor to just avoid the problem.

You might be able to get flash to use hardware acceleration to resolve your problem. I used this method when I tested KDE 4.3.1 but I have Intel graphics. Currently I am running KDE 4.2.4 with the 2.26.30 RC3 kernel with the Intel 2.28 driver and running the fixmtrr script at start up to resolve the Intel issue, so I no longer need to use hardware acceleration for flash.

I will stick with KDE 4.2.4 until more bugs are fixed upstream, KDE 4.4 development has already begun.
indelible

Post by indelible »

Is a kwin related problem I think,not flash.If I disable effects flash videos runs smooth.I try to play some game like andentryst and the bad glitches were back.When I disable kwin everything was fine.I'll be waiting for an KDE update for this problem.

P.S:I've installed KDE 4.3.1 and it's running fine.No logoff problems and things that exploder describes .Maybe is a hardware related problem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

No logoff problems and things that exploder describes .Maybe is a hardware related problem.
I suspect it has something to do with the Intel driver I am using.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I just recently reinstalled Gloria KDE on my ASUS Eee 1000HE and upgraded it to 4.3.1. I was so impressed with the performance that I switched to it as my main desktop; it's quicker and more responsive than the GNOME edition, even with all Kwin effects enabled! :shock: :shock: :shock:

In fact, performance was nothing special before doing this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p184678

After that, everything is so quick and smooth that it's a real joy to behold!

Return to “Software & Applications”