Warning: Critical issue in base-files 19.0.2 update

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Warning: Critical issue in base-files 19.0.2 update

Post by clem »

Affected releases:

This issue only affects Linux Mint 19 Tara.

If you are running any other release (18.x, 19.1, 19.2, 19.3, 20, LMDE) please ignore this topic.

Description of the problem:

A critical issue was found in yesterday's base-file 19.0.2 update.

Due to a build issue the package content is empty and its post-installation script results in creating the /var/run directory (which should normally be a symbolic link towards /run). This prevents many system services from running correctly, including those responsible for the console and the login screen.

Solution:

To fix the problem boot in recovery mode:
  • Boot your computer
  • Press the SHIFT key while booting to force the boot menu to show up
  • Select Advanced options for Linux Mint 19
  • Select the "recovery mode" boot option
  • When the Recovery Menu appears, select "root - Drop to root shell prompt"
  • Press Enter
You will then be able to type commands. Run the following ones:

Code: Select all

mount -o rw,remount /
rm -rf /var/run
ln -s /run /var/run
Reboot. Your computer should now boot normally and let you log in.

To completely fix the issue, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

wget linuxmint.com/tmp/base-files_19.0.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i base-files_19.0.1_all.deb
Notes:

About 2h ago, the repositories were rolled back to version 19.0.1 of the base-files package. It can take up to 48h for this change to be picked up by all the mirrors.

I'd like to apologize to everyone impacted by this issue. The change between 19.0.1 and 19.0.2 had nothing to do with the boot sequence. It was tiny and very simple (a URL was changed in a text file) so we didn't test the boot sequence. We were alerted by the community of this regression.

While working on a solution we also noticed a limitation in Timeshift. System snapshots typically fix update issues like this one. Even if the computer can no longer boot, you can launch Timeshift from a live session and it can find your snapshots and restore them from there. This issue is a very special one though, with /var/run still being there but being a different directory than /run, Timeshift doesn't detect the change and thus doesn't restore this properly. We'll need to analyse this going forward.
Kontigo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Warning: Critical issue in base-file 19.0.2 update

Post by Kontigo »

Thanks clem for that... Much appreciated bon journee😀😀😀😀😀👍👍👍🍉🍉
kwebber7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwebber7 »

I created an account specifically to thank you for this.

I have been railing on this issue for two days now - not even time-shift could touch it. I love Linux and specifically Mint, but this issue was taking me to some dark, desperate places... and then all of the sudden - your post! My system is no longer hostage.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - a thousand times THANK YOU!
ron69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ron69 »

Mais non, it wasn't Clems own fault, so no reason to thank him with this solution as if he is a 'higher entity' ... just thank him would be enough...
skuller

Post by skuller »

Thank you so much! This morning, neither my desktop or laptop could start. This post saves me. Thank you!
TiffHudson

Post by TiffHudson »

Never mind my post -- I was nearly asleep and mis-read the handwritten "19" on my DVD for a "14". I was running 19 all along.

Apologies.
Last edited by TiffHudson on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg »

That was scary. Thought my HDD got corrupted or something.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

TiffHudson wrote: ... my Linux Mint 14 system (yeah, I don't upgrade the OS that often).
Just wanted to say that support for LM 14 ended May 2014.
gallo007

Post by gallo007 »

I want to thank you so, I lost almost 10 hours to trying to fix it then someone on linuxmint-help channel on irc linked me this, and I solved the problem. thanks you
pradeepdh

Post by pradeepdh »

Thank you so-so much. I didn't have linuxmint forum account, but just created just to thank you all for this thread for saving me from reinstalling everything. (although i already wasted 2 days looking for solutions everywhere). But again Thanks a lot.
wormhole

Post by wormhole »

Hi everyone...I faced this problem after the last update on my LMDE 4 and followed the instructions but to no avail.
I also tried to dpkg 19.0.1 base files but this didn't work either. Is there another way around this? Many thanks
JIS

Post by JIS »

Well; I tank you VERY much! I have TWO pcs running LM 19. Yesterday, the first one failed t boot. So I thought, well, the PC is now 10 years old, it's done me proud, but it happens....". Then TODAY I tried to boot up my laptop running LM 19 and .. the same thing. The oNLY common denominator .. the updates. So I came to the forum and now, I am restored to normal. THANK YOU very much :-)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

It would have been nice to have known this a couple of days ago. An LM19 update completely borked one of my laptops to the extent that timeshift could not get it back. I ended up cloning another laptop to it so that I could get it working again. It took me most of the day!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Wormhole,
wormhole wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:29 amHi everyone...I faced this problem after the last update on my LMDE 4 and followed the instructions but to no avail.
It seems you have missed the crucial details in Clem's post:
  • The problem affected Linux Mint 19 Tara only.
  • The instruction to recover from the problem will work on Linux Mint 19 Tara only.
Please, open a new thread about your problem starting up LMDE4 in the LMDE sub-forum.
Clem's announcement and this whole thread here do not apply to you.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
goldwein

Post by goldwein »

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you. Just saved me from a disaster recovery process that would have taken untold hours and resulted in frustration, disappointment, and lots of ETOH.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<Mod>
slinger1953's support request can be found here: Need help following Clem's steps on recovering from base-files 19.0.2 update
</Mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
JVR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JVR »

Thank you for this. One question, though: the update for base-files 2.0 shows in updates notifications. We should avoid it for now, right? Just to make clear. Thanks a bunch!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15QF5VV ... sp=sharing

JVR
TiffHudson

Post by TiffHudson »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:06 pm
TiffHudson wrote: ... my Linux Mint 14 system (yeah, I don't upgrade the OS that often).
Just wanted to say that support for LM 14 ended May 2014.
My error - I misread the handwritten 19 on my DVD for a 14.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

JVR wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:04 pm Thank you for this. One question, though: the update for base-files 2.0 shows in updates notifications. We should avoid it for now, right? Just to make clear. Thanks a bunch!
No, it's okay. Having spent a day getting LM19.0 back with a clone from another laptop and then making sure I had an up-to-date image backup, I did an update and all was well - this was yesterday.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Warning: Critical issue in base-files 19.0.2 update

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JVR.
JVR wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:04 pm One question, though: the update for base-files 2.0 shows in updates notifications. We should avoid it for now, right? Just to make clear. Thanks a bunch!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15QF5VV ... sp=sharing
Do not accept base-files 19.0.2, offered by Update Manager. - No. No. Please, do not install it.
Click [refresh]. If UM still offers base-files 19.0.2, then your mirror server is not up-to-date, yet. Do not install 19.0.2. Ignore it.

The Mint main server currently offers the previous base-files 19.0.1 for Mint 19 Tara: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tara - press Ctrl-f and search for base-files. You will see it is 19.0.1 at the moment.
19.0.1 is fine and will cause no problems.

Karl
Lifeline

Return to “Releases & Announcements”