Another Major Distro Chooses BTRFS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgringo619

Another Major Distro Chooses BTRFS

Post by ajgringo619 »

Didn't think it would be Fedora joining openSUSE...
https://<blocked blogspam>/fedora-33-beta-re ... -linux-5-8
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Another Major Distro Chooses BTRFS

Post by motoryzen »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:40 pm Didn't think it would be Fedora joining openSUSE...
https://<blocked blogspam>/fedora-33-beta-re ... -linux-5-8
--I remember Wendell from Level1techs ( probably closer to back when he was with Tek Syndicate many suns ago) talking about xfs but more coherently..BTRFS and how it's superior to EXT4, but I don't recall any details. So far the only thing I understand about BTRFS vs EXT4 is that BTRFS supports file, volume, and drive sizes much larger than EXT4, but I don't see in a close enough part of my lifetime needing BTRFS anytime soon since my max file sizes end up being not even 45 GBs...and that's a fully loaded cgi bluray movie ...before handbrake-ing it. Copy-on-write, which is a part of BTRFS, is basically greek to me unfortunately --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

For the average user, EXT4 works just fine. My main reason for using BTRFS is its nearly-instantaneous snapshots, which Timeshift works very well with. It's not as mature as EXT3/4, but it's definitely come a long way.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm For the average user, EXT4 works just fine. My main reason for using BTRFS is its nearly-instantaneous snapshots, which Timeshift works very well with. It's not as mature as EXT3/4, but it's definitely come a long way.
Do you use it for the root fs?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Stability is to me always pretty high on the priority list. When it comes to such things as file systems, it is paramount.

Not saying anything against BTRFS, but I prefer the generational maturation and stability of EXT.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Portreve wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 pm Stability is to me always pretty high on the priority list. When it comes to such things as file systems, it is paramount.

Not saying anything against BTRFS, but I prefer the generational maturation and stability of EXT.
Agreed. I just thought that the Mint devs, especially since they started pushing Timeshift, would have considered it, at least for root; who knows - maybe they did.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:11 pm
Portreve wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 pm Stability is to me always pretty high on the priority list. When it comes to such things as file systems, it is paramount.

Agreed. I just thought that the Mint devs, especially since they started pushing Timeshift, would have considered it, at least for root; who knows - maybe they did.
I know that Pjotr had originally cautioned against using BTRFS in his article on optimizing ones LM or Ubuntu installation for SSD on the basis that it caused too many writes. IIRC, he's since said it may be acceptable. However, I would prefer him to comment because he knows far more about this matter than I.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It surprises me more that it's taken so long for Fedora to switch to btrfs as the default for at least root. Presumably the folks at Red Hat want Fedora users to act as guinea pigs so they can iron out any issues before switching RHEL to the FS as well. Even though Fedora is not officially a Red Hat project and has not been for many years now they still have some say as to how it's run and provide limited Personnel work hours to the Fedora Project.

It has been an option for quite some time via manual partitioning though. If you want to find out just how long, search the Fedora Dungeon for posts by stevea. He wrote some guides to using it with Fedora 20 if I recall correctly.

I'm not convinced by btrfs though for home users, it's overly complicated for very little gain and requires some maintenance by the end user from time to time whereas Ext4 can be left alone. I have tried living with it on one machine for 6 months via OpenSUSE default install. When the excrement did hit the fan I couldn't actually get the snapshot to restore despite following instructions to the letter.

Sure Timeshift works with the btrfs snapshot feature but so what? If the storage medium packs up, then you lose your snapshots too just like any other form of internal file system backup. To that end it's no better than Windows System Restore which should also not be relied on alone.

I'll stick with Ext4 and backing up to an external device using rsync.

As for why Ubuntu and therefore Mint have not adopted it yet:

Is btrfs stable? - https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php ... _stable.3F
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

antikythera wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:14 am As for why Ubuntu and therefore Mint have not adopted it yet:

Is btrfs stable? - https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php ... _stable.3F
Indeed. Thanks, but no, thanks. :mrgreen:

BTRFS is probably not as mature as EXT4 yet, and also it might (under certain circumstances) cause more write actions than EXT4 does. Which you may want to avoid on SSD's.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

antikythera wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:14 am Is btrfs stable? - https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php ... _stable.3F
Wish I knew when this paragraph was written; wikis are notorious for leaving out this simple piece of information.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

antikythera wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:14 am Sure Timeshift works with the btrfs snapshot feature but so what? If the storage medium packs up, then you lose your snapshots too just like any other form of internal file system backup. To that end it's no better than Windows System Restore which should also not be relied on alone.
Timeshift is supposed to be only a system restore utility, not for complete disaster relief. I think this is one of Timeshift's biggest misconceptions - that it's designed to recover from a catastrophic hardware failure. While it might be able to do that, that's not its main purpose.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Ineresting then that Red Hat ... Fedora users are merely Red Hat beta testers whether they know it or not ... only seems nto support ext3:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... -part-mkfs

And I think they only supported ext2 until fairly recently.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:29 am Ineresting then that Red Hat ... Fedora users are merely Red Hat beta testers whether they know it or not ... only seems nto support ext3:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... -part-mkfs

And I think they only supported ext2 until fairly recently.
Agreed on Fedora users, but your RHEL link is referencing a really old version (on v8 now).

After further investigation, RHEL 8.2 uses XFS as the default filesystem!
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

Well it maybe has purpose on server systems, but, for desktop users, BTRFS = bloated totally redundant file system, which makes Your OS main purpose to create backups, and backups of backups, and so on ...
It remainds me of ZFS ...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

SilFox wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:55 pm for desktop users, BTRFS = bloated totally redundant file system, which makes Your OS main purpose to create backups, and backups of backups, and so on ...
Well put, sir! :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

ajgringo619 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:07 am
antikythera wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:14 am Sure Timeshift works with the btrfs snapshot feature but so what? If the storage medium packs up, then you lose your snapshots too just like any other form of internal file system backup. To that end it's no better than Windows System Restore which should also not be relied on alone.
Timeshift is supposed to be only a system restore utility, not for complete disaster relief. I think this is one of Timeshift's biggest misconceptions - that it's designed to recover from a catastrophic hardware failure. While it might be able to do that, that's not its main purpose.
I'm under no illusions that is the main purpose of Timeshift but it does work quite well for that purpose too :lol:

One advantage btrfs does have are the size of the snapshots compared to rsync. Regardless I still wouldn't keep any snapshots on a single drive alone because even snapshots get corrupted. I never have and never will.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ddog241

Post by ddog241 »

SilFox wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:55 pm Well it maybe has purpose on server systems, but, for desktop users, BTRFS = bloated totally redundant file system, which makes Your OS main purpose to create backups, and backups of backups, and so on ...
It remainds me of ZFS ...
but you need a backup of the backup of the backup of the backup.
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

No, I do not.
I only need 1, manually created. (B4 any upd/upgr)
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Portreve wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 pm

I'm with you on that.

My business depends on a somewhat dull, but rock-solid OS and file system.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I think I will stick with ext4 until the performance issues get resolved. Plenty of people are enjoying BTRFS but I am taking a conservative approach for now.

Return to “Chat about Linux”