JCDSee

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kilsgardet

JCDSee

Post by Kilsgardet »

I have downloaded JCDSee from https://sourceforge.net/projects/jcdsee/

How do I install it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: JCDSee

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Kidsgardet.

You may not like the answer. Yet, JCDSee has not been maintained for 19 years now. You should not try to install a 19 year old piece of software at all.
Cf. the file dates here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/jcdsee/files/

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Kilsgardet

Post by Kilsgardet »

I am transferring to Linux from Windows.
There is so far only one software I really miss, ACDSee.
Is there any Linux compatible software that does the same in a simple way.
Crop, tilt and resize.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Pix has a limited range of similar functions. I use Pix to find images then open them in Gimp because I know how to use Gimp.
Features: https://github.com/linuxmint/pix
* Pix is an image editor

+ Change image hue, saturation, lightness, contrast and adjust colors.
+ Scale and rotate images.
+ Save images in the following formats: JPEG, PNG, TIFF, TGA.
+ Crop images.
+ Red-eye removal tool.
Last edited by Petermint on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Kilsgardet wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:11 am I have downloaded JCDSee from https://sourceforge.net/projects/jcdsee/
I still have ACDsee in my archives from donkey's years ago so I know what you're facing. You could try Gwenview in the repositories. It's a KDE application but it runs very well on Linux Mint. The only drawback is that it will have to pull in a few extra megabytes of libraries. If you try it but don't like it, you can purge it. It's fast and light.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

The OP is talking about a very early version of ACDSee. It's transmogrified over the years into a full digital suite, but what the OP wants is a light image viewer, not a professional photography system, which is what most of those alternatives are.
zabba

Post by zabba »

My Choice (Linux Mint 19.3 xfce):

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

I've run ACDSee Classic 2.43 under Mint through WINE for years now. Works nearly perfectly, as far as I can tell. A few quirks along the way, it will sometimes close when trying to drag files to different directories, for instance. I'm willing to live with the quirks since I've yet to find anything comparable. By comparable I mean pretty much a carbon copy.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
Kilsgardet

Post by Kilsgardet »

Thanks for all good advice.

I have an ACDSee 5.0 that I bought maybe 15 years ago. I first used it on Windows 98 but it works in all Windows applications, even Windows 10.
Reason I am giving up Windows is that it updates itself all the time and for every update it demands more of the computer. I have a small network with 7 computers and can not afford renewing them frequently. My computers are W7 that were auto-updated to W10 a few years ago but I have reverted to 7 again where it was possible. W7 is good but it seems that Microsoft are doing their best to make it obsolete so I need a new program sooner or later.

I have never used WINE but i will start with that and see what happens.

Thank You All Advisors.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

I've never used ACDSee (or JCDSee)....

But if simple viewing and editing is what's needed, GIMP is probably too complex and user-unfriendly. There are three possible routes to follow:

- try one or more of the various graphics/photo programs offered by Mint's own software manager - like Pix or Gwenview or Shotwell. Easy to install/uninstall/try out, and you know they will work in Linux Mint;

- try XNView or XNViewMP, which offer Linux versions, free - as recommended by others in this thread;

- if they don't suit, then WINE is the other option. Download that and then see whether your favoured Windows photo program will work satisfactorily under that extra 'layer'.

Disclosure: although the Linux-based programs work well, I too had a deep attachment to a Windows-only program, Faststone Image Viewer. I still use that - under WINE - in my Mint 19.1 XFCE system. Works fine.
Kilsgardet

Post by Kilsgardet »

Thanks for answer.

I have tried to install and run ACDSee in Wine.
It installs and I get the icons but the program does not start.

I have tried to start it with the exe-file and also from the terminal but it does not start.

The help file opens.

I have Shotwell but it does not resize which is the most used feature of ACDSee as most pictures are too big to send via mail and also to post in social media.

Is there any Linux program that resizes pictures with good quality and is reasonably easy to use?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Kilsgardet wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:59 am Is there any Linux program that resizes pictures with good quality and is reasonably easy to use?
For that, quick & simple, I use Pix.

Open picture, Save As, Adjust Quality Slider to reduce picture size.

It gives me large size savings without a visible viewing reduction in quality..
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Picture size or file size? Anyone following this thread for their own use might be confused by the options mentioned.

Picture size is changing the number of pixels. You might select the important bit in the middle, copy, and paste as a new image. You might resize to reduce the number of pixels without cutting off the edges.

File size reduction is a JPEG thing. Given that JPEG does not store a real image, just an approximation, you can increase the rate at which JPEG crushes the quality out of an image.

The more complicated editors let you choose any of the above and add in things like removing the transparency layer from PNG files. They let you save in the same format or export to different formats for different uses. I keep my original files, cr2, PNG, etc, and export a separate JPEG when there is a need for a small poor quality image. :)

I hope you keep all the originals. I see forum posts by people who apply JPEG compression and replace the original with the crushed file. They then ask how to uncrush the file to get back the original quality. :(
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kilsgardet wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:00 pm Thanks for all good advice.

I have an ACDSee 5.0 that I bought maybe 15 years ago. I first used it on Windows 98 but it works in all Windows applications, even Windows 10.
Reason I am giving up Windows is that it updates itself all the time and for every update it demands more of the computer. I have a small network with 7 computers and can not afford renewing them frequently. My computers are W7 that were auto-updated to W10 a few years ago but I have reverted to 7 again where it was possible. W7 is good but it seems that Microsoft are doing their best to make it obsolete so I need a new program sooner or later.

Thank You All Advisors.
My daughter has a 2 year old Acer laptop with Win10. she is forced to keep using Windows because her business requires ACCESS, and no ACCESS replacements are available in Linux...

I had her laptop set up so that it would NEVER update period, but Microsoft figured out a way to bull their way through the China Closet and it destroyed all of her Image Programs that she uses to make Special Labels with....

Now, I am going to have to try and put it back.... IF necessary, I will just restore the OEM Image from when it was new.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”