Video conversion software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mortda
Level 1
Level 1

video format conversion

Post by mortda »

Can some one please advice of avideo conversion program for linux.I want to be able to convert mp4 files to MPG2.
Thanks for any suggestions
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MenthaSuaveolens
Level 3
Level 3

Re: video format conversion

Post by MenthaSuaveolens »

You can try VLC. Select convert videostream.
mortda
Level 1
Level 1

Video conversion software

Post by mortda »

I thought I had posted this the other day but it hasn't showed up in my posts so I'll try again. What I would like to know if anyone can tell me of a video conversion software that would allow me to convert MP4 files to MPG2 format or directed me to a previous post that has had this query posted before,would be great.
Cheers mortda
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Video conversion software

Post by ajgreeny »

I would recommend ffmpeg in command line. for that, but if you want a GUI try winff
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

mortda wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:13 pm I thought I had posted this the other day but it hasn't showed up in my posts so I'll try again. What I would like to know if anyone can tell me of a video conversion software that would allow me to convert MP4 files to MPG2 format or directed me to a previous post that has had this query posted before,would be great.
Cheers mortda
What you want to do is called "remux". That is, you want to repackage from MP4 to MPG2 -- I've heard of MPG, but not MPG2, and, apparently, ffmpeg doesn't know of MPG2 either. You do not need to do recoding (called "transcoding") and the quality will suffer if you do.

Why MPG2? Why not MKV? I do a lot of remuxing and I go for MKV because it's the most advanced and it seems that every player can play MKV.

If MKV, look at MKVToolNix GUI. It's magic, and very easy to use. If you must use ffmpeg, I can help but be aware that ffmpeg is harder than self-appendectomy.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

markfilipak wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:45 pm ... I've heard of MPG, but not MPG2, and, apparently, ffmpeg doesn't know of MPG2 either.
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#mpeg2
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:49 pm
markfilipak wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:45 pm ... I've heard of MPG, but not MPG2, and, apparently, ffmpeg doesn't know of MPG2 either.
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#mpeg2
You're probably right. The OP probably meant MPEG2. Maybe the OP's MP4 is already MPEG2 encoded ... probably so. I'm mystified.

Edit: Oops! I meant M4V, not MP4. Alphabet soup, eh? MP4 is the MPEG4 AVC codec of course.

mortda, why would you transcode/downshift from MPEG4 AVC to MPEG2? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Do you have a player that doesn't have an MPEG4 AVC decoder? I can't imagine that, but if the player is very, very, very old, then I suppose that's the issue.

Can you clarify?
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

+1 for VLC. Easy, reliable.

There is an output file type "MPEG-2 + MPGA (TS)".
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I think OP means...Mpeg4 to Mpeg2. Image

The software you're looking for is...Avidemux...which is available from the Software Manager. Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

bob466 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 am I think OP means...Mpeg4 to Mpeg2. Image
I agree, though such a conversion doesn't make sense. The result will either be lower resolution or larger file.
The software you're looking for is...Avidemux...which is available from the Software Manager.
I don't agree. Conversion will take a transcoder, not a remux.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

markfilipak wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:35 am
bob466 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 am I think OP means...Mpeg4 to Mpeg2. Image
I agree, though such a conversion doesn't make sense. The result will either be lower resolution or larger file.
The software you're looking for is...Avidemux...which is available from the Software Manager.
I don't agree. Conversion will take a transcoder, not a remux.
Have you tried this Software ? Seems the answer is No...on both counts you're wrong...because it's exactly what is does and you can reduce the video size too...without loosing quality...I should know as I have it installed. Image
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
mortda wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:13 pmI thought I had posted this the other day but it hasn't showed up in my posts
Upper left hand corner of the forum webpage, Quick Links => Your Posts

Merged the 2 threads about the same topic: [1] + [2]
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd recommend using Avidemux too, but I use the appimage.

However, I'm also a bit at sea why you'd want to convert to mpeg2 video unless you want to create DVD compliant video/audio, and if so why wouldn't you just say that?

Mpeg2 video is ridiculously outdated by today's standards, DVDs came out in 1997 and the codec has to be at least as old. It's 3 generations behind HEVC. It amazes me now that DVDs needed a 9.4Gb disk to hold SD video of that quality. With HEVC you can get better quality than that in less than 1Gb (with 10 bit color, which isn't supported in mpeg2).
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I wouldn't throw Avidemux at anyone who I thought wasn't beyond a basic Linux understanding.

Stick with WinFF.
Yes, you will lose quality during the transcode.
Yes, it's clicky-clicky enough for users not interested in using the command line.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Another vote for Avidemux from me.

Very easy to use once you've ran around it a few times, and the results are good (although not 100% sure on the specific conversion the OP wants, others have said it will do it). I'm using it right now to put a 55 minute video together and upscale from 900p to 1080p with a audio boost for good measure, all output as MP4. For a free software it is amazingly capable (better than many paid for products i've used) and the GUI makes it a breeze to use.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

The way I understand it "remux" means keeping the same audio and video streams but putting them in a different container in which case any difference in size would be due to the header and would be minimal.

Transcoding would be re-encoding the video and/or audio streams with a different codec (or same codec with different compression level) in which case file size and video quality can be significantly altered.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

MartyMint wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:28 am I wouldn't throw Avidemux at anyone who I thought wasn't beyond a basic Linux understanding.
Why...it works the same in both Linux and Windows...anyway we all have to learn at some time. Image

OP...another one you could try is...Handbrake...it does the same as Avidemux but doesn't have as many features. Image
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Yeah Handbrake is a good free tool also :)

I should mention i use them both under Windows, not Linux, so in that respect they are in general 'easier' to use.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

bob466 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:06 pm ....another one you could try is...Handbrake...it does the same as Avidemux but doesn't have as many features. Image
Well, the OP wants mpeg2 video output for some reason, and Handbrake won't do that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”