5 Reasons Why Linux Mint is Better Than Ubuntu

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Cyberbleuet
Level 1
Level 1

5 Reasons Why Linux Mint is Better Than Ubuntu

Post by Cyberbleuet »

Very interesting article from Foss :wink:

https://itsfoss.com/linux-mint-vs-ubuntu/

Salutation!
Cyberbleuet
Laptop:Acer Aspire-A115-31 15'', Intel Celeron N4000 graphic Intel, eMMC 64G, 4G mémoire Os/Linuxmint 19.3
Macbook-pro 15" mid 2012 i7, 8g, ssd500g intel/Nvidia video,doc-station with external screen 22" IPS, Os/Catalina
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: 5 Reasons Why Linux Mint is Better Than Ubuntu

Post by Pjotr »

Yeah, well, in the end Mint is "simply" Ubuntu LTS with some smart improvements, coupled with a refreshingly sensible and conservative attitude towards the user interface. I used to hate the frequent wild UI changes in Ubuntu.

For me, the Mint "killer apps" are mintupdate and mintsources. I love those.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:42 am
I used to hate the frequent wild UI changes in Ubuntu.
That was just Canonical chasing market space.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

MartyMint wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 am
Pjotr wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:42 am
I used to hate the frequent wild UI changes in Ubuntu.
That was just Canonical chasing market space.
Well, they chased me away. :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mint has evolved over the years. It started out as a better looking Ubuntu with codecs. Today it is so much more! Who would have imagined the Cinnamon DE back then? Tools that make challenging tasks like removing old kernels, sharing files, etc, very easy for beginners. Ubuntu itself has evolved too though. Ubuntu used to be that ugly looking brown distro, lol. Today Ubuntu is a very attractive Gnome Shell distro with some tweaks that make it nicer to use.

I see innovations coming from both, just in different ways, Mint has always stayed on it's original path, to be elegant and user friendly. Ubuntu tried going with Unity, some liked it, some didn't. Ubuntu in my opinion, did the right thing allowing the community to create it's theme and icons. Gnome Shell looks pretty dated in it's default state, Ubuntu has a lot of appeal with the new theme.

You really can't go wrong with either distro, they are both extremely nice at this point in time. I really can't say that one is better than the other, I like using both! Mint and Ubuntu are very popular and both get a lot of praise and criticism any time they try anything new. MInt took a lot of heat for not including snaps, Ubuntu took the heat for including them...

I have participated in many Ubuntu development cycles over the years. Mint is based on Ubuntu after all, so Ubuntu development was important to me. Ubuntu puts a lot of hard work into making Debian unstable usable for the masses. Mint's development is equally important. Cinnamon development is never dull! Both Mint and Ubuntu make huge contributions in their own ways.

People like to argue all the time about what distro is better but it all comes down to choice. Be thankful you have both these great distros and appreciate them for the great contributions they make. :D
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

exploder wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:02 am
People like to argue all the time about what distro is better but it all comes down to choice. Be thankful you have both these great distros and appreciate them for the great contributions they make. :D
Yes, well, of course you can't love Mint and hate Ubuntu at the same time. Because Mint literally is Ubuntu LTS, for more than 90 % or so.... The official Ubuntu repo's are in the Mint sources list.

But the fact remains that Mint contains a lot of sensible and nifty improvements over its (already excellent) Ubuntu LTS codebase. Mint is a good thing (Ubuntu LTS) made even better. :mrgreen:
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 am
Mint is a good thing (Ubuntu LTS) made even better.
That would be as good as anyone can describe it.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

Actually that write up misses 6th and arguably just as important reason why Mint is better, this forum and the community of users are much easier going and willing to help without being snarky for the most part ;)
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

Mint's creation of the Cinnamon Desktop, as well as for bringing Mate/(previously Gnome2) back into the limelight,
instead of those dark days of that ugly GNOME/3 sHELL.
8)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mint's creation of the Cinnamon Desktop, as well as for bringing Mate/(previously Gnome2) back into the limelight,
I think Ubuntu fixed the ugly in Gnome Shell now, well the community did. :) Some years ago, when I nearly lost my sight, Gnome Shell had the best accessibility features out there. I hope I never need to use them again but it's nice to know it's there! If it hadn't been for Gnome Shell and the PCLinuxOS community I would not have been able to use a computer for months.

Try turning on accessibility features on anything else with 20/300 vision and see how far you get! Fortunately my vision was restored but I have never forgotten that experience. It gave me a whole new point of view on Gnome Shell! :)

Mint does an amazing job of keeping the traditional desktop alive for those that want it. Gnome Shell is not without it's good points too though.
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

exploder wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am
I think Ubuntu fixed the ugly in Gnome Shell now, well the community did. :) Some years ago, when I nearly lost my sight, Gnome Shell had the best accessibility features out there. I hope I never need to use them again but it's nice to know it's there! If it hadn't been for Gnome Shell and the PCLinuxOS community I would not have been able to use a computer for months.

Try turning on accessibility features on anything else with 20/300 vision and see how far you get! Fortunately my vision was restored but I have never forgotten that experience. It gave me a whole new point of view on Gnome Shell! :)

Mint does an amazing job of keeping the traditional desktop alive for those that want it. Gnome Shell is not without it's good points too though.
Gnome3/shell took a long time, several years to finally catch up to Gnome2's already far better accessibility support, complete keyboard control of desktop, screen magnification, onscreen keyboard, ..., Gnome 2 invented the open accessibility architecture AT-SPI (Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface).
BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

I'll admit I recently tried Kubuntu again.

KDE Plasma is very impressive with the amount of customisability, but I found the memory usage of KDE plasma on Kubuntu 20.04 was ~150mb less than Cinnamon on Mint 20, the cpu and gpu usage of KDE was a bit more.

So I eventually did a clean install of Mint 20 Cinnamon again. There is lots to be said for a stable LTS based distro like Mint as well :-)
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

Plasma has too many stability issues at present, even in the LTS build used for Kubuntu. The reporting tool also says that the information generated cannot be submitted because it contains no useful information regardless of the debug packages being installed.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

KDE Plasma is a big bucket of parts and doo-dads.

If tinkering and poking around settings and configurations endlessly is your thing, you'll be in heaven.

There's something to be said about having a stable, sensible OOTB experience like Mate and Cinnamon provide.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”