Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Equiphract
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot open hyperlinks in PDF documents

Post by Equiphract »

Hello people
I cannot open hyperlinks in PDF documents and don't know why.

I first noticed this problem after I had installed a minimal PDF viewer called Zathura (v0.4.5) and was not able to open or even select hyperlinks using the appropriate shortcuts described in the programs documentation. At first I thought I was doing something wrong and to verify I opened the document in Firefox (v81.0) and tried to open the hyperlink from there which also did not work, the mouse pointer did not change, for the lack of a better description, to a hand when hovering over the hyperlink.

To rule out the possibility of the hyperlink being just stylised text with no hyperlink functionality I opened the document in Windows in both Firefox and SumatraPDF in which I was able to follow the hyperlink.

Now I tried to find if it may be some security setting but couldn't find anything in the system using the graphical menu.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Here is my system information if needed: https://termbin.com/gbkq1
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot open hyperlinks in PDF documents

Post by mikeflan »

I had the same problem, but it appears to be gone now. My links are suddenly working on this computer.
Try this file:
http://www.mflan.com/temp/Jul2020ss.pdf

All those links in that file are working fine for me at the moment, but on my home computer, I swear they do not work.
On my home computer I get an error that lists a file location on the computer (file://home/mike/. . . ).
I think the error says "File not found", or something like that.

Keep in mind that I created that PDF file on Linux (from Libre), and then it does not work at home.
I carry it to a Windows computer and it works fine.

This computer I am on is a restored image from my computer at home, so it makes no sense to me that it works fine here.
In about 2 weeks I will get back home and check this out further.

I hope we get a more constructive response that explains how to fix this problem.
Equiphract
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Equiphract »

Ok that's weird... I am able to click on the hyperlinks in your file. Why doesn't it work in my file
05_Bibliotheksklassen_Praktikum-1.pdf
(73.91 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
?
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

Equiphract wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:08 am
Ok that's weird... I am able to click on the hyperlinks in your file. Why doesn't it work in my file my file?
Hi

I downloaded your PDF with Vivaldi and opened it in Vivaldi: the hyperlinks work.
Your PDF opened with XViewer and Okular: the hyperlinks don't work.

If you look at the PDF Properties, an incompatibility with macOS, Word or both could be the cause ...

PDF Versuch.png
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikeflan »

For the record, Okular is the only program I have to open PDF files, and all the links in the PDF I supplied are working on this "vacation" computer. I am anxious to get home and try it on my home computer. I suspect the links will not work on that computer.
Equiphract
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Equiphract »

absque fenestris wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:51 am
If you look at the PDF Properties, an incompatibility with macOS, Word or both could be the cause ...
How can that be? One would presume that pdf's generated by Word would regardless of the operating system adhere to the PDF-standard.

My theory right now is that the hyperlinks in my document aren't actually hyperlinks but just formatted as such and that some PDF viewers might interpret them as real hyperlinks because of their syntax (https://...) and some won't. SadIy I don't have the knowledge on how to verify this.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

I have already assumed some things in Word that then did not work; for example, that Word can open its own .docx data ... (Windows XP Pro / MSOffice 2003)
... so nothing astonishes me with Word or macOS.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

I have had no problems with hyperlinks in pdfs created by word (2016) and viewed in qpdfview.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikeflan »

I am at my home computer now and sure enough - the links do not work.
One says:
A folder named /home/mike/.cache/kioexec/krun/5426_0/ already exists.

Which is true, but who cares, right? It creates those folders when I click on an html link in the PDF file, and then complains that the folder is already there.

When I go to File Properties in Okular I don't see anything unusual:
prop.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”