Unable To Open CD/DVD Reader Burner

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cybervici

Unable To Open CD/DVD Reader Burner

Post by Cybervici »

I'm pretty new at Linux and am using Tricia 19.3. In previous distributions, I could mount the device to a folder, then open the folder to get it to work. Now, it seems like my computer won't let me use the CD/DVD any more for some reason. The device shows up under Computer when using the GUI, and it will execute an eject command from there. But, it won't open the drive. I don't know enough about bash commands and permissions to fix it, although I have looked through other forums attempting to understand and determine what's hanging me up (fstab, ls commands). There are probably some details I'm missing with those concepts to get to a solution.

I get a no medium found error when I try to mount by file type iso9660. VLC gives me another error when I try to open the drive through there with a DVD inside. A CD doesn't play either, either through Rhythmbox or Media Player.

There are other issues with my OS, namely the swap file and cryptswap in particular. Hopefully, I can fix that later.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable To Open CD/DVD Reader Burner

Post by phd21 »

Hi Cybervici,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

If need be, there is usually a pin hole on the front of a drive where you can stick a pin or paperclip into carefully to eject the disc tray.

read this, might be a permission issue
cd burner for mint 19 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279918&p=1542811#p1542811

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Cybervici

Post by Cybervici »

My problem should be easier than that. It doesn't have anything to do with running Windows and other apps. It occurs closer to basic use.

Here's the results of inxi:
System:
Host: Phoenix Kernel: 5.4.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.5.0 Desktop: MATE 1.22.2 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L505 v: PSLU0U-02N003
serial: <filter>
Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC serial: <filter> BIOS: INSYDE v: 1.50
date: 12/15/2009
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 49.8 Wh condition: 49.8/56.2 Wh (89%)
model: PA5024U-1BRS status: Full
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo T6500 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 bogomips: 8378
Speed: 1874 MHz min/max: 1200/2100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2069 2: 2026
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics
vendor: Toshiba America Info Systems driver: i915 v: kernel
bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express (CTG)
v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Toshiba America Info Systems
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-48-generic
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN driver: rtl8192se v: kernel
port: 2000 bus ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 234.78 GiB used: 178.19 GiB (75.9%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MK2555GSX size: 232.89 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Generic model: Multi-Card size: 1.89 GiB
Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: HL-DT-ST model: DVDRAM GT20N rev: CT10
dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 24 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 228.23 GiB used: 89.04 GiB (39.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 168 Uptime: 7m Memory: 2.80 GiB used: 1.05 GiB (37.5%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20
inxi: 3.0.32

Here's the results from lsusb:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 258a:0001
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0159 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5159 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b120 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Thanks for your help :).
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

One other option if this is a brand new install is simply to re-install from scratch and leave the default settings? On my laptop i only have access to open the DVD-ROM drive by either manual options (the open button on the face of the DVD-ROM slot, or the pinhole using a paperclip) or once i have put a DVD in the drive it then gets mounted automatically and i have option to 'eject' on the desktop icon etc. I installed with a regular default install.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Cybervici

Post by Cybervici »

I'm pretty sure I kept it default when I installed initially, although that was several versions ago. Still, how is what you discussed relevant to opening the drive/playing a file or set of files from the drive? Maybe you thought I meant physically. I mean accessing the data from the drive.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Given the age of the laptop and drive, it may just be an untimely coincidence that the drive is failing and you need a replacement. If you have one of the live media ISO of previous distributions it worked okay with saved to USB stick, boot from it and see if the drive still works okay with that. If not, you know it's a hardware issue.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Cybervici wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm ... In previous distributions, I could mount the device to a folder, then open the folder to get it to work. Now, it seems like my computer won't let me use the CD/DVD any more for some reason. ....
I get a no medium found error when I try to mount by file type iso9660. ......
... Maybe you thought I meant physically. I mean accessing the data from the drive.
Without typing commands and choosing folders as a mount point to read (or play) the contents of an optical media (data, sound, videos).
Linux Mint does this for you.
Simply insert the optical media into the drive.

Check how is the configuration of how Linux Mint treats your removable media. Be guided by the figure and the position of the options, they are the same regardless of the language.
Note in the "multimedia" tab that the default program I use to automatically play audio or video CD / DVD is "xplayer".

Your quote:
"I get a no medium found error ...... "
It suggests that the drive is not reading the inserted optical media (drive or defective media).
Optical drives have a short lifespan (at least here).
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 pm Optical drives have a short lifespan (at least here).
Pretty much everywhere, not just Brasil. I've been through two in 5 years with my laptop (Samsung ODD DVD+RW like for like part swap - next will be LiteOn Bluray instead), it depends how much usage they get too regardless of heat and humidity levels. LG like the OP has last reasonably well but will fail eventually too.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Cybervici,

Your post does seem to be a little confusing. At first, it seems like you cannot open the physical drive's disc bay, then it seems like you are having issues reading the discs or both?

As for reading the discs data and or movies discs, make sure you have added your user to the cdrom disk group and given yourself permission to run and access the related programs, see the link I previously gave for simple instructions.

Then, I would recommend installing from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", "ubuntu-restricted-extras", udftools, regionset, if this is a blu-ray drive then search for and install blu-ray and "aacs" packages as well.

Restart you computer, and retry accessing or playing the disks.

And, as others have been stating, mechanical drives like DVD/CD/Blu-Ray drives will wear out. I too have had to replace a few over the years. You can find a replacement internal or USB external drive if needed. Also, make sure the discs are clean.

Another post that may be useful
Bluray burner, external, compatible with Linux Mint - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=332923&p=1904431#p1904431

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

If you want to purchase a new optical drive, I suggest an external USB drive with 2 USB cables, 1 for data and power and the other for supplementary power.
The unit is connected to 2 usb ports at the same time.
These external drives are more durable (not much).
Cybervici

Post by Cybervici »

antikythera wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:58 pm Given the age of the laptop and drive, it may just be an untimely coincidence that the drive is failing and you need a replacement. If you have one of the live media ISO of previous distributions it worked okay with saved to USB stick, boot from it and see if the drive still works okay with that. If not, you know it's a hardware issue.
I'll have to see, if I can find an empty stick to put a distribution on. The last one I booted from was a DVD, of course ;). It's a great idea though. I'll have to see what I can do about it.
Cybervici

Post by Cybervici »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 pm
Cybervici wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm ... In previous distributions, I could mount the device to a folder, then open the folder to get it to work. Now, it seems like my computer won't let me use the CD/DVD any more for some reason. ....
I get a no medium found error when I try to mount by file type iso9660. ......
... Maybe you thought I meant physically. I mean accessing the data from the drive.
Without typing commands and choosing folders as a mount point to read (or play) the contents of an optical media (data, sound, videos).
Linux Mint does this for you.
Simply insert the optical media into the drive.

Check how is the configuration of how Linux Mint treats your removable media. Be guided by the figure and the position of the options, they are the same regardless of the language.
Note in the "multimedia" tab that the default program I use to automatically play audio or video CD / DVD is "xplayer".

Your quote:
"I get a no medium found error ...... "
It suggests that the drive is not reading the inserted optical media (drive or defective media).
Optical drives have a short lifespan (at least here).
My windows don't render like that. I'm using the MATE desktop. Perhaps you're using Cinnamon?

I was really hoping to just get a command or program that would test the functionality of the CD/DVD drive. Of course, I could buy a new drive, but it would be a waste and pointless, if it doesn't work when I physically install it. I will probably try Antikythera's suggestion once I clear up enough space on a drive to make it bootable and run through that rigamarole.
Cybervici

Post by Cybervici »

I really appreciate everyone's help. I'll try some things and get back to you all. :)
Cybervici

Post by Cybervici »

On the permissions procedure, when I gave it the first command, it replied that I'm already a part of that group. When I gave it the second command, it asked me for my password. Once I gave it, the cursor blinked for a while, but it didn't reply with any output. I waited for a while, then closed it even though I was warned that a process was still running. I gave it the third command, and it just returned me to the prompt.

I installed all of the packages you requested, although I think some of them were already installed before and restarted. I tried both a DVD and a CD, and neither would open/play. I also tried to mount the DVD through the terminal and got the "no medium found on /dev/sr0."

I have a feeling the drive is toast. I will probably try the boot from stick idea that Antikythera suggested, before I order another drive, but I'm thinking the drive is done. At one point, when I put the CD in the drive, the light was constant on--running.

If y'all got any last ditch thoughts, now's the time. I'll probably try boot from stick, then order a new drive. I'll check back during the next few days before I make a final decision.
phd21 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:21 pm Hi Cybervici,

Your post does seem to be a little confusing. At first, it seems like you cannot open the physical drive's disc bay, then it seems like you are having issues reading the discs or both?

As for reading the discs data and or movies discs, make sure you have added your user to the cdrom disk group and given yourself permission to run and access the related programs, see the link I previously gave for simple instructions.

Then, I would recommend installing from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", "ubuntu-restricted-extras", udftools, regionset, if this is a blu-ray drive then search for and install blu-ray and "aacs" packages as well.

Restart you computer, and retry accessing or playing the disks.

And, as others have been stating, mechanical drives like DVD/CD/Blu-Ray drives will wear out. I too have had to replace a few over the years. You can find a replacement internal or USB external drive if needed. Also, make sure the discs are clean.

Another post that may be useful
Bluray burner, external, compatible with Linux Mint - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=332923&p=1904431#p1904431

Hope this helps ...
Cybervici

Post by Cybervici »

I just got a new USB optical drive, and it works. So, the onboard optical drive is probably toast. Thanks for your help.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Cybervici,

You're welcome from all of us that replied.

Well now you have a working drive. Which one did you get?

Return to “Beginner Questions”