Mint 20 5.8.xx Kernel Sound Problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CATAHA

Mint 20 5.8.xx Kernel Sound Problems

Post by CATAHA »

Good day Members....
I had ver.20 installed before and decided to upgrade hardware that crashed it(thanks intel, it's in a manual that upon installation of 10g or 10gb+ nic LINUX system will need to be reinstalled or rebuild....)
After new install i decided to upgrade kernel(per security concerns) from 5.4.xx to 5.8.xx that's where my problems began with sound.

I have Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series] (rev 01) installed (SB1500 / SB1506)
Device-2: Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.0 chip ID: 1102:0012
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.0-23-generic
in Kernel(K) 5.4.xx I wasn't able to use 5.1 surround sound profile but able to use 5.0 profile to use at least 4 speakers
in K 5.8.xx i'm unable to use it moreover as soon as i choose ANY profile in sound settings i get a "Dummy Output" Card showing up and NO SOUND what so ever.

I'm Using VMWare 16.xx version when i start to plugin USB device to it my SOUND stops working ( With a K 5.4.xxx was able to do it for quit few times before sound stops working) (with K 5.8.xx on 3-4 time plugging and unplugging sound stops working)
When i have One Virtual Sation powered on sound works until i power on Second station simultaneously and NO SOUND again or it become distorted until i reboot physical computer.

I tried re-starting services for audio (no success)
I tried reinstalling audio card( no success)

RAW Kernel ?
Thx
Attachments
Info_2.jpg
Info_1.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 20 5.8.xx Kernel Sound Problems

Post by MrEen »

Hi CATAHA, and welcome to the forum.

Run this command when sound is working, and again when it isn't:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to your sound setup that will hopefully give us clues as to what is going wrong.

Paste those URL's along with a mention of how you're listening to audio. Via a receiver, HDMI or Line Out port?
CATAHA

Post by CATAHA »

NO Sound after restart
https://termbin.com/3n4e

Sound After Subsequent restart
https://termbin.com/b7sw

NO Sound After changing Analog Surround X.X Output, After Dummy output Sound Card shows up
https://termbin.com/ct45
Last edited by CATAHA on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I still need to know what you're connecting to your computer for sound. Toslink, 3.5mm jacks, HDMI cable? (And I do know it's not HDMI cable.)
CATAHA

Post by CATAHA »

Logitech Z506 Computer Speaker System - 5.1 Channel System
With 3 aux like cables (3.5mm jacks)
Attachments
Connect.jpg
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Okay, for some reason you have Digital input selected in every output you provided, and I'm assuming that's not in use, so I'm going to have you try this then report the outcome:

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_09_00.0 output:analog-surround-51+input:analog-stereo
Run that in the terminal. If there's no sound, then post the output of amixer -c1

Putting this reminder here for myself: try position_fix=1 next.
CATAHA

Post by CATAHA »

I attached a picture how it is with analog audio and how it should be with 5.0/5.1 profile (or how it is with kernel 5.4)
Attachments
Kernel.5.8.xx_How it used to be.jpg
Kernel.5.8.xx.jpg
Last edited by CATAHA on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

WOW! Look at that first picture! You've got 4 Front Left's and 1 Front Right. While that might be normal as I don't have surround options myself, it sure looks like the mapping is messed up.

Anyway, I believe the next step might be to run alsamixer -c1. You've got a ton of options in there, and everything is turned on it seems. I would suggest turning off a lot of the special effects and such. You might need to use the m key to turn them off, or the down arrow key. Play with that a bit and see if you can get it working, but in the meantime, nowp ost the output of pacmd list-sinks please.

You can just copy the text in the terminal and paste it here. When pasting large blocks of text, please enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

And look at me. I left myself a reminder, then forgot to have you try it.

Run these consecutively in the terminal (I hope this will work, if not, we'll do it another way):

sudo rmmod snd_hda_intel

sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel position_fix=1
CATAHA

Post by CATAHA »

So i just tried CentOS Stream and it shows samething (attached)
Then i just tried reinstalling Mint with 5.4.xx (attached) and here is a deference from 5.8 and 5.4

So i think it's ALSA Driver(s) need to catch-up with kernel.....

I tried block listing / removing hda_intel and it wouldn't allow me to even forcefully removing it
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-10-28 02-21-16.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-10-27 20-59-15.jpg
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

The picture looks good. Did the sound work properly?

A newer kernel means (among other things) newer bugs, so you may be at least partially correct. In most cases, a new kernel will improve sound issues for most, as that's where the newer fixes have been added. But sometimes, those fixes can cause regressions for others.

Return to “Sound”